Sony BDP-BX37 Blu-ray Player Hits Costco Shelves

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on March 16, 2010
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Costco, Format War, Hardware

The latest “Costco Version” of the Sony Blu-ray Player line has landed on Costco shelves. The new model is the Sony BDP-BX37 Blu-ray player, and is priced at $159.99. This is the Costco version of the Sony BDP-s370 Blu-ray player. The only difference is the BDP-BX37 comes with an HDMI cable included inside the box.

Remember, this is not one of the new Sony 3D Blu-ray ready models.

1. Sony BDP-n460HP Blu-ray Player Hits Costco
  2. Sony BDP-BX2 Blu-ray Player is Coming to a Costco Near You
  3. Sony BDP-BX1 Blu-ray Player?
  4. Blu-ray Player Price Drop Hits Costco
  5. SONY 3D Blu-ray Players In The Wild At Best Buy

Comments

12 Responses to “Sony BDP-BX37 Blu-ray Player Hits Costco Shelves”

1. Bill on March 20th, 2010 7:29 pm

BEWARE: COSTCO shows this unit as Wireless. It is NOT. There is very small
    print on the actual unit saying that you will need to purchase a USB Wireless LAN
    adapter (UWA-BR100) to plug into the front USB connector to connect wirelessly
    (see page 14 of the manual packaged in the box).

My SONY BX37 is headed back to COSTCO. I do not intend to purchase any
    further Sony products. Nor will I purchase any further electronics from COSTCO.

2. Tyler Pruitt on March 22nd, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks for the info about the wireless Bill!

3. James on March 27th, 2010 1:17 pm

@Bill – From Costco’s website about this player:

Key Features:

* iPhone®/iPod touch® remote control esthetics
    * Access detailed movie information w/ Gracenote™
    * Cross Search for easy searching of BRAVIA® Internet Video
    * DLNA® streaming of photos, videos and music
    * Wi-Fi® adapter ready <—————————————————-<<<<<<<<<<
    * Enjoy music, photos and video via front USB slot
    * Plays Blu-ray Disc™ movies in Full HD 1080p
    * BRAVIA® Monolithic matching design for clean esthetics
    * BRAVIA® Internet Video: Access movies, music, videos & more
    * Quick Start/Load to watch movies faster than ever

4. David on March 30th, 2010 3:41 pm

@Bill
    Box is clearly labeled Wireless Ready and that you need an adapter to make it work wireless, they must have changed the labeling on the boxes at my local Costco. I thought it was pretty clear the adapter had to be purchased.

5. Steve on April 6th, 2010 11:07 pm

Bill obviously didn’t read It clearly says:
    Wi-Fi adapter ready

6. Jonathan on May 7th, 2010 12:06 pm

I picked up one of these on the 1st of May from a Costco near Portland Oregon. This is my first Blu-ray player so I can not compare to any other Blu-ray player. I too wanted to hook it up wirelessly, and I thought that my Dell or Belkin wireless adapters would work, but they did not. I think that from the manual that only Sony Wireless LAN Adapter (UWA-BR100) will work. I ended up moving my cable modem and wireless router to the TV stand and used my older D-Link router (D-Link Express EtherNetworkTM DI-604 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router) and hooking a ethernet cable to the Sony Blu-ray player. I can now watch Netflix stream instantly some movies as well as YouTube. There are a bunch of other streams to watch as well as some podcasts. Over all I like the Sony, but it would have been nicer to have the wireless built in. My Costco had a higher end Sony Blu-ray player, but I am not sure of model number or if it has wireless built in.

7. ro on May 18th, 2010 9:49 pm

there’s always one guy in the reviews who goes off and blames everything else and forgets to blame himself for not paying attention. The box clearly says wifi adapter ready.

8. Joe on May 20th, 2010 3:48 pm

@Bill – Reading is fundamental

9. bobby on December 27th, 2010 6:17 pm

hi there. i just buy to my self sony bluray disc player at best buy. BDP-S370/BX37 and i’m very happy . i’m conected via LAN to iternet and no problems at all!!! WIFI READY to this model. and i pay just $100.00 nice deal :)

10. Marshall on January 1st, 2011 12:04 pm

When i bought this blu ray player i was well aware that it needed a wireless adapter to connect to the internet But i was not aware that only a sony adapter would work and that it is twice the price of any other wireless adapters. I bought my player on sale for $109 and now they want $80 for an adapter. Bad business practice and a good way to loose customers including me.

11. Ray on January 25th, 2011 1:55 am

Bill is right. I almost purchased this until I read the small print on the box. Why would I buy a dvd player only to have to purchase the wifi adapter seperately? Vizio has a blueray play that also come with a wifi, so I will be buying that one instead..

12. greg daly on February 20th, 2011 9:24 pm

Right on bill — good god … I can not believe this — IT is not wireless….this IS deceptive sony bull. buy a apple tv like i am.