PC Blu-ray Players Not Taking Over

Posted by Mehar Gill on August 31, 2009
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Hardware, PC

While the success of Blu-ray players and movies is controversial depending on who you ask, the PC market for Blu-ray is not so gray. A recent study by iSuppli Corp has found by the year 2013 only 16.3% of PC’s will ship with Blu-ray drives, up 3.6% from 2009. If iSuppli is to be believed, DVD will still be the primary optical disk based media in PC’s for quite some time. iSuppli believes Blu-ray will be successful in everything but the PC market, citing cost as a primary reason for slow PC adoption. Michael Yang, senior analyst for storage and mobile memory at iSuppli explains.

“The cost issue is amplified by the fact that the library of content is so small that there really isn’t a reason for users to switch at the moment,” Yang said. And while this is changing and studios are rolling out more Blu-ray content every week, there remains a long way to go, he added.

Another factor is that Blu-ray is having a difficult time supplanting the incumbent storage medium in PCs — the DVD-RW drive, Yang said.

“From a historical perspective, each of the successful storage media in PCs has gained popularity only when content became available and when consumers actually understood that what they were getting was easy to use and worth the cost,” iSuppli stated in its report .

Viewing a HD format on your PC might not be a ideal situation, especially for the average consumer on their 17″ monitor and stereo speakers. What do Format War Central readers think?  Do you have a HTPC w/ a BD drive?  Does this claim have any credibility to it? Or is it simply a exaggeration?

[Via Network World]

1. Digital Downloads to Overtake Physical Media by 2017?
  2. First Hybrid Blu-ray/DVD Title Announced
  3. 5 Reasons Why HD DVD Owners Should Go Blu
  4. Samsung Adds YouTube, Blockbuster, MKV, Support To Blu-ray Players
  5. Blu-ray Mounts Event Offensive

25 Responses to “PC Blu-ray Players Not Taking Over”

1. xfrhu on August 31st, 2009 5:12 pm

“Posted by Mehar Gill”
    While the success of Blu-ray players and movies is controversial depending on who you ask.

This HDDVD fanboy is still crying.
    HDDVD IS DEAD.Wake up and stop lying to yourself and accept Bluray.

2. DavidB on August 31st, 2009 5:49 pm

A bargain basement DVD burner is $30. A cheap blu reader is close to $70-80, and a bargain burner is $150. Yeah, cost is THE factor.

3. Mi on August 31st, 2009 11:00 pm

“While the success of Blu-ray players and movies is controversial depending on who you ask”

Yea, you or anyone else. You crack me up Ma-Ha.

4. Mehar Gill on September 1st, 2009 10:48 am

@Mi – When have I ever stated Blu-ray was failing? This is me personally, not a news story I reported on.

I don’t get paid to make the news, I get paid to report it, if you have an issue with it that I can’t address, take it up with the companies that make such statements.

5. xfrhu on September 1st, 2009 12:11 pm

Mehar Gill:You must have missed the recent study that claimed HD DVD sales were doing better than Blu-ray. In 2009 you still have people arguing for and against the success of Blu-ray.

The Blu-ray Disc Association is challenging the accuracy of a June 18 Harris Poll, which says that as of April, more Americans owned an HD DVD player (11%) than a Blu-ray Disc player (7%).

The BDA on June 25 said the Harris survey doesn’t mesh with actual shipping and sales numbers for Blu-ray, pointing to Adams Media Research data that puts the numbers closer to nearly 8% for Blu-ray and less than 1% for HD DVD. Calling the Harris data “grossly inaccurate,” the news release states that by the end of 2009, Blu-ray players will be in nearly 15% of American TV homes.

Tom Adams, president of Adams Media Research, blamed the survey findings on consumers’ inability to identify what exactly is next to their TVs.

“Some people believe a DVD player on an HDTV is high-def. There’s just so much confusion out there,” Adams said. “Everybody makes mistakes” he said of the Harris survey “but we have models that show those numbers just can’t be true.”

“This finding suggesting that HD DVD player penetration grew from 6% to 9% in the period since the Blu-ray victory in the format war simply can’t be right,” he said. “Our research on shipments and retail sales of players suggests that some 340,000 homes had an HD DVD player by the end of 2008 vs. 3.1 million homes with a dedicated Blu-ray player, and 9 million homes with either a dedicated player, a PlayStation 3 or both.”

Adams’ research has dedicated Blu-ray players in 7.2 million homes by the end of 2009, and, with the PS3 included, that number jumps to more than 17 million.

“Meanwhile, HD DVD machines are long gone from store shelves and household penetration is shrinking dramatically,” Adams said. “By way of comparison to what had been the most successful format launch in consumer electronics history, at the same point in DVD’s lifespan, four years in, at the end of 2000, DVD-enabled homes, set-tops or game machines, numbered 13.7 million.”

The BDA also noted that the HD DVD Promotions Group, just 50 days before the HD DVD format went under, announced set-top sales of fewer than 1 million units.

A representative from Harris were not available for comment at press time.

6. Mehar Gill on September 1st, 2009 2:59 pm

@xfrhu – I never said anything about HD DVD, just do a search on Engadget, AVS Forum, Format War Central, etc to find articles arguing both sides, take a look at the comments. Post the question in a forum and you will find it a polarizing.

That’s the survey I was referring to, you knew it existed yet you call me a crying HD DVD fanboy?

7. Mehar Gill on September 1st, 2009 3:02 pm

@DavidB – How many people have a PC capable of handling full 1080p video with audio, the proper software to playback their movies, etc?

Even then, the average consumer probably doesn’t know much about changing a PC drive so they will get “professionals” to do it. In the end the costs do begin to rise. I personally would take a stand alone player over a drive any day…in the immediate future. :p

8. xfrhu on September 2nd, 2009 7:43 am

@Mehar Gill -

And you knew the survey was bs,and yet you talk about it.

9. Mehar Gill on September 2nd, 2009 9:30 am

@xfrhu – That’s why I said “controversial depending on who you ask,”

10. Marty on September 2nd, 2009 10:13 am

I upgraded my PC this summer, after getting a 24 inch monitor that my old graphics card couldn’t handle.

I must say watching BD discs on the computer is amazing, since you sit so much closer to the screen, and with a monitor having higher native resolution than the disk, it’s like sitting normal distance from a really big HDTV.

Only thing missing is the sound my PC has the 5.1 outputs but haven’t gotten all the speakers yet…

Cost is the issue, don’t see BD drives for the PC getting down close to DVD drives any time soon, and add to that the extra cost of a more powerful graphics card. With pre-built PCs they try to get the costs down as much as possible so they will not become standard in the near future. BD drives will be stuck in the custom or home built PC area for at least a few more years.

11. Jonsson on September 2nd, 2009 11:53 am

Touche xfrhu! To quote this piece of garbage, that everyone knows is BS, is really unbelievable. A shame since these kind of posts drag down a otherwise good site.

12. Mehar Gill on September 2nd, 2009 1:13 pm

@Jonsson – You must have selective reading, did you miss my other post where I point out other places where such debates do/have existed?

13. Jonsson on September 2nd, 2009 10:29 pm

@Mehar Gill

Sigh Mehar!

No I do not have a selective reading. In your “defence” you pointed to a survey that everyone knows is total garbage. It’s as simple as that.

Apparently I was not the only one reacting to your spin as well !

14. Mehar Gill on September 3rd, 2009 8:01 am

@Jonsson – You do have selective reading, I pointed to many things. Take a look at the comments section of many popular tech blogs, people will be arguing for and against Blu-ray’s success. The survey was just a recent example of a “professional group” doing so.

Format War Central is a format neutral site, if some debate still exists among the HD crowd there is nothing wrong with making a small mention of it. If you want your Blu Ray news sugar coated, there are plenty of Blu-ray exclusives sites on the internet that you would love.

15. Jonsson on September 3rd, 2009 11:51 am

@Mehar Gill

You did not point to “many things” you simply used this gravely flawed survey as your only defence. I agree with xfrhu, you are a crying HD-DVD fan-boy. If anyone have a selective reading, it’s you.

16. Mehar Gill on September 3rd, 2009 4:52 pm

@Jonsson – You read what you want to read, this is nothing new and is something you do often. Above I even stated other sources that you can look over to find some debate. I even pointed it out to you specifically a second time yet you completely ignored it.

If you need more discussions here they are, (Check the poll and the comments)

Those articles are all less than a year old to boot. The fact that they exist and draw discussion show Blu Ray’s success is “CONTROVERSIAL DEPENDING ON WHO YOU ASK”.

Who said I am a fanboy? Why am I an HD DVD fanboy? Is HD DVD the only other place to get HD content? Can I not be a digital downloads, streaming, WMV HD DVD, D-VHS, supporter if anything?

I am not PERSONALLY saying Blu Ray will fail/is failing, etc. I love physical media, HD content, etc and try to get it where ever I can.

If there is some confusion coming from the posts themselves, on Format War Central the very last paragraph is usually the writers opinion on the subject, anything before that is about the story itself.

17. Jonsson on September 3rd, 2009 10:26 pm

No Mehar, I do not read what I want. The fact that you do not seem to understand what you write is not my problem. Something YOU do often though is to try and explain away your previous posts. Until your last post you really did not point to other sources (saying take a look on other tech posts is not pointing to a source).

You only quoted the previously mentioned gravely flawed survey. That is what I have a gripe about. Not that you think Blu-ray success is controversial. Of course you can say that the success of Blu-ray is controversial. There will always be HD-DVD fanboys (professional or not) posting articles negative about Blu-ray.

18. Mehar Gill on September 4th, 2009 8:01 am

@Jonsson – It doesn’t matter, even if that was the only survey I pointed to it would still be alluding to the controversy I mentioned. The fact that I also pointed to other posts makes your argument invalid, calling them [the authors of the posts] “HD DVD fanboys” for their views isn’t going to get you anywhere.

You never provide and factual information, need I remind you of your actions in the CBHD posts?

19. Jonsson on September 4th, 2009 12:38 pm

As I said, you always try to explain away your previous errors.

If I where you I would not remind people about your Chinese posts where you made an utter fool of yourself.

Also, perhaps you should follow Tylers advice and not continue the Chinese debate.

20. Mehar Gill on September 4th, 2009 1:57 pm

@Jonsson – I see you realize your error and are resorting to childish games.

I made the fool of myself? I provided all the information you asked and all you did was resort to personal attacks against not only me but other members and stupid generalizations.

21. Mehar Gill on September 4th, 2009 2:04 pm

@Jonsson – For the record, I didn’t say anything about China, please keep your personal agenda to yourself.

22. Jonsson on September 4th, 2009 10:59 pm

@Mehar Gill

You are unbelievable in spinning, not only the facts but also what you yourself have been posting. Did you falsify your age when you became a contributor?

As I said before, it is unfortunate that your post continue to drag down a otherwise good site.

23. Mehar Gill on September 5th, 2009 8:42 am

@Jonsson – Again you are doing nothing but making baseless and false accusations, no proof yet again but what can I expect from you at this point.

If you don’t like my posts don’t read them, simple isn’t it? I’m done with this discussion as you are simply starting to waste my time now. I don’t mind constructive criticism, infact, I welcome it. What you do is nothing more than flame or resort to personal attacks.

24. Jonsson on September 5th, 2009 11:12 am

@Mehar Gill

See my previous post. It seems to be a suitable answer to this latest meaningless post from you as well.

25. Lucy on October 1st, 2009 7:13 am

The library of content IS too small, and way too expensive. What I hate is the fact that so few releases take advantage of the format to make the movie experience fuller and more rich. No extra commentaries, not revised material, not archive stuff etc.
    Not good enough