CBHD Leads Marketshare over Blu-ray in China

Posted by Mehar Gill on July 24, 2009
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, HD DVD, Studios, Warner

CBHD seems to be doing much better against rival Blu-ray than its ill fated predecessor HD DVD. A recent report by a Japanese news station looking at CBHD format and its competition with Blu-ray confirms CBHD has a 3% market share lead on Blu-ray. The CBHD format launched in the first half of 2009, Blu-ray launched in China mid 2008.

Given how the “documentary” itself is in a language foreign to us, we were only able to collect so much from the report. The video documentary is available here. The documentary also reveals the final casing used for CBHD discs, they are similar to the HD DVD cases with a black tint instead of red, much more appealing in comparison to the slimeline cases shown earlier.

Is this finally Toshiba/HD DVD’s big break? Failing to find success in North America, perhaps finding a niche market is what they needed? It would also mean a new era of physical media in China considering the low licensing fees and a possible government backed standard format in the region signifying the end of the format wars in the region. The only Hollywood studio supporting CBHD is Warner Brothers, perhaps this will encourage more studios to “jump in”?

1. CBHD Players Ship In China, Format War Begins
  2. DVD On Its Last Leg in China?
  3. CBHD Breaks 100 Release Barrier, Paramount Pledges Support
  4. Universal Studios and National Geographic Announce Support for CBHD
  5. Pioneer Lowers BD Drive Price and More!

Comments

53 Responses to “CBHD Leads Marketshare over Blu-ray in China”

1. Mi on July 24th, 2009 8:44 pm

Funny, but I didn’t even need to see the by line.

A government sponsored format, in a totalitarian state, is beating blu-ray. And that’s the wonderful news for a dead format? Pathetic.

2. pointless on July 24th, 2009 9:29 pm

@Mi

“Pathetic?” So you somehow think that the Chinese government is forcing their people to purchase CBHD even though Blu-ray discs are freely available for purchase?

3. Mehar Gill on July 24th, 2009 10:21 pm

@Mi

The government backs many formats, if you tell them you will lower license fees than they will back you too! Many formats in China tried to beat DVD and they all failed, CBHD has been the most successful so far.

Also, CBHD isn’t a dead format. ;)

4. Jonsson on July 25th, 2009 12:43 am

@Mi

I agree. One must be a really really pissed off old HD-DVD fanboy for clinging to pathetic news like this.

China is a communist dictatorship and of course the format the dictatorial government supports will have a huge edge.

5. Mehar Gill on July 25th, 2009 9:12 am

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about how the format war works in China, the government will support ANY format that was partially produced in China. Currently the government is backing 2 or 3 HD formats with CBHD being the most successful.

The same happened with previous formats dating back to CD’s, competitors backed by the government rose and all failed to beat western media. The only edge CBHD has is lower cost thanks to licensing fees and a crap ton of rebranded HD DVD hardware.

To say CBHD is simply winning because of Communism is wrong. What you have to understand is after the economic reforms in the 70s the Chinese economy has become “modern” in a sense, many ideologies valued in democracies were adopted. A format war would be good for business, why would they jeopardize this?

6. Jonsson on July 25th, 2009 1:11 pm

@Mehar Gill

Apparently you are still totally clueless as far as China, communism and anything else outside your small sphere of knowledge is concerned. China have become “modern”. What a totally pathetic comment.

But what else to expect from someone who once claimed that we “poor” inhabitants of “Europe” were similar to those living under the Chinese communist dictatorship :-(

7. Joseph on July 25th, 2009 3:30 pm

8. Mehar Gill on July 25th, 2009 7:26 pm

@Jonsson

No point in arguing with you, pick up a book, you might learn something from it. Look into something called the “Deng Xiaoping’s reformation” of China. Should I recommend some readings for you?

Don’t worry, I won’t ask for a apology. That’s not to say Chinese is or is becoming a democracy by any means, infact, no country is fully democratic, communist, etc. The Chinese government simply adopted ideologies from Democracy and used them along side Marxist, Maoist, etc principles.

As for the European comments, you took my words out of context and after I tried to explain them further you began to attack me instead of telling me what the right information was or anything civil of the sort. No point in even attempting to reason with you, end of discussion.

Originally Posted By JosephWow if China’s government was really a dictatorship and totalitarian state there would not be a format war to begin with! The Chinese government can just simply ban blu-ray and CBHD FTW. How foolish can you guys mocking the government.

Voice of reason ftw!

9. Jonsson on July 25th, 2009 11:07 pm

@Mehar Gill

“Out of context”. Ha! Nice try.

10. Mehar Gill on July 26th, 2009 8:27 am

@Jonsson

Backed into a corner and pulling at straws, nice.

Please refrain from commenting on my posts until you are able to have a mature discussion.

End of discussion.

11. TShanghai on July 26th, 2009 10:30 am

I currently live in China. Without a proper frame of reference, this bogus story might convince you that a actual format war even exists.

In Shanghai, there are stores upon stores of counterfeit DVD’s and Bluerays. I would venture to say over 95% of all BlueRay discs are probably purchased at these outlets at a fraction of the cost of real BlueRay and CBHD’s. There are no CBHD’s in the shops.

The only possible way CBHD’s would have a market edge is if you eliminated 95% of all HD content ACTUALLY purchased, legal or not.

12. Jonsson on July 26th, 2009 11:44 am

The cornered straw pulling seems to be you. Do not tell me not to comment on your BS kid. Matture discussion? Well when you grow up and get your facts right we can try that :-)

13. Mehar Gill on July 26th, 2009 12:55 pm

@Jonsson

Your right, that history stuff, reformation in China, Tienanmen Square (which is linked to these reforms mind you) never happened, why? Because you said so! I linked off to documented evidence, what have you linked off to other then your wild imagination?

It is you that should grow up and get said facts straight, any respect I and I assume many other regular FWC commentators had for you is gone. I’m done with you, keep your agenda off my posts.

14. Cguo on July 27th, 2009 2:00 am

Originally Posted By Jonsson@Mehar Gill

First, I’d like to confirm that I DID receive news except from the “state propaganda”, and I’m from China. Or I can’t post here. Right? This is to reply to your post at:

2nd, China to ban blu-ray is a kind of footle to me. But I believe some one tends to believe that, and that kinds of “truth”.

3rd, as you added “dictatorship” to China all the time, are you want to show your care about the people living under the “dictatorship” or it is simply an beautiful excuse to hide something else behind within you mind?

Last, I think you are brainwashed while you think I am. But don’t say other people as “clueless” especially when you have not proved yourself a little bit smarter yet.

15. Mehar Gill on July 27th, 2009 2:31 pm

@TShanghai

If I understood your post correctly and I apologize if I did not, these figures are only calculated using players, movies, etc sold by legitimate retailers. “Underground” sales would not be included in market share calculations for obvious reasons (impossible to predict, companies get little to no money from them, etc).

16. Nars on July 27th, 2009 6:35 pm

Originally Posted By Mehar Gill@TShanghai

Hi there.
    There is no CBHD in underground market, or as pirate copy, becasue only two domestic CE makers, TCL and Shinco, make 2 CBHD players, so you can tell why no pirate copy of CBHD. And few CBHD can be found in the legal market as well.

It’s only a format war, not upgrade this to ideology or political structure. Toshiba is going to build a BD player, don’t they?

17. Cguo on July 27th, 2009 6:50 pm

The reason why CBHD is simple and straightforward to me:

For BD, you have to pay for DD, DD+, Dolby Lossless, DTS, DTS-HD for HD audio, and you have to pay for MPEG-2, AVC and VC-1 for HD video. But are there any major difference between these formats?

For CBHD, you only have to pay for AVS audio/video, and I think most probably they cost less comparing to any one of above formats.

You may not care about pay a little more money on a format you beloved, but there are people who do care and that’s the money you pay for nothing anyway.

18. Mehar Gill on July 27th, 2009 6:57 pm

@Cguo

You only pay for them when they are being used from what I remember, so if you buy a release that only has VC-1 and DD+ that is all you pay for. CBHD will of course support all video and audio codecs supported by HD DVD and Blu Ray.

I assume local Chinese studios will most likely use the AVS codec, Hollywood studios like Warner will probably use what ever the Blu Ray counterpart is using for cost reasons. I should also add, I’ve seen a few “prototype” CBHD discs that were using the VC-1 codec, not sure if “foreign” codecs are being used anymore since the ones I seen were from a while ago.

Just out of curiosity Cguo, do you own a CBHD player?

19. Cguo on July 27th, 2009 7:45 pm

Originally Posted By Mehar Gill@Cguo

Just out of curiosity Cguo, do you own a CBHD player?

Not yet, I don’t think I’ll buy any HD player until their are enough contents availiable.

Thanks for the correction, and sorry for my bad English. I meant any BD player that have the blu-ray logo have to supports all those mandatory formats, and these will be fees finally charge to the one who buy the BD player. A studio can chose the format to use, while a player can not.

Blu-ray just like a big cake and many companies want a share. HDi is one exception because Sun want BD-J to be exclusive. I deeply believe that Blu-ray is a sadly wrong choice of the industry and it deadly hurt the speed that HD content goes to ordinary people.

20. Mehar Gill on July 27th, 2009 7:51 pm

@Cguo

No problem, I understood what you meant.

I loved HDi, it’s a shame no one else wanted it, from what I was told by people at Microsoft, HDi isn’t being used in CBHD. :(

Out of curiosity, what format are you leaning towards? What about other Chinese citizens shopping around for new technology? Do you think CBHD is right for China? Or are other local alternatives better?

Sorry if some of the questions are a bit personal, you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.

21. Cguo on July 27th, 2009 8:31 pm

@Mehar Gill

Me too to know that CBHD do not use HDi. I guess that’s to reduce the cost too, although I doubt it is a good decision.

Frankly I’m working on BD-J:( now. No matter like it or not, I make my living out of it. It is something like trying to make a rocket to use it go to office. And it involves another chain of patents and will again finally charge to end user.

I used to be slow in reaction to new technologies except the one I’m working on, but I know some of my colleagues are really interesting with them. For example, iPhone is not officially available here, but some one here are using it now. They bought iPhone oversea.

I don’t know if there are any alternatives other than CBHD, and I’m not sure if CBHD will be succeed, but I think it is on the right way.

BTW, where is this site? I am led here by searching “CBHD” in google, and it is on top 10 of the search results. Sorry for my slow response if you are waiting online.

22. Mehar Gill on July 27th, 2009 8:42 pm

@Cguo

Unfortunately costs among other things are what I’m hearing as well when it came to ditching HDi.

I haven’t worked with BD-J but I have worked to a certain extent with HDi, really easy to use.

I’ve heard of EVD HD, FWD, CBHD and HVD are ones that I am hearing about, to be honest, the format wars in China are really confusing so it’s hard keeping track of what formats are still available and what formats are “defunct”.

I assume you are talking about this post? The URL is,

If you are talking about the site in general,

23. Cguo on July 27th, 2009 9:09 pm

@Mehar Gill
    Glad to know you worked on HDi. Me too, until HDDVD died.:)

Most Chinese don’t even know those formats, so do I (except I heard of CBHD recently). I think that’s all the efforts that Chinese player manufactures try to reduce the patent fee to pay for making a DVD/HD player.

24. Rohit on July 30th, 2009 4:11 am

From my perspective (& note this may be more of a common user opinion), HD/Blue Ray both are meaningless unless their pricing strategies appeal to the masses. I would personally refrain from buying extremely dear blue ray discs. Instead a reasonable DVD upscaler will do the job on a 1080p TV. I must admit that Toshiba’s HD DVD would have worked for me although it got booted out by Sony (very unfortunate!). It is therefore vital that Sony’s market share & position is challenged to benefit the end user – obviously in terms of affordability without sacrificing quality!

25. Jonsson on August 1st, 2009 11:33 am

@Cguo

A state that forbids the creation of any free politicial party expect the state one is a dictatorship. Full stop. Then you and Mehar can claim whatever BS you want. Mehar is obviously clueless and you are part of the Chinese dictatorship state propaganda!

26. Cguo on August 2nd, 2009 9:40 pm

Correction to my previous post, in which I think a CBHD player only need to support AVS codec: below is from Shinco’s official website, where listed the main feature of its CBHD player – CBHD-9100 (In Chinese):

It supports AVS-Video、VC-1、MPEG-4、AVC video, and AVS-Audio、L-PCM、DRA、Dolby AC-3 audio, and compatible with DVD and CD. Sold at the price 2580 RMB with 15 free discs.

2580 is still a high price comparing to a DVD player, although a Blu-ray player is no way to be cheaper than a CBHD player. It seems to be the disc price sold at around 50 RMB each (someone said it will be 30 RMB at the end of this year) that far reasonable in price than Blu-ray disc. Just a little confused if a Studio is using VC-1 for its CBHD title, how can it be that cheap than its corresponding Blu-ray title using VC-1 codec too.

@Jonsson

You entered the wrong classroom.

27. Mehar Gill on August 3rd, 2009 8:54 am

@Cguo

The price factor doesn’t have to do with the codec persay but the money it costs to produce the discs mostly. The amount it costs to produce CBHD software, players, etc is significantly lower than the cost to produce Blu-ray software, players, etc.

That’s putting it simply of course, I’m sure others could explain it better if they wish to.

@Jonsson -

You obviously don’t respond well to anything! I urge you to stop now before you end up offending someone, this is the internet, people from all over the world can view a a webpage from just about anywhere.

28. Jonsson on August 3rd, 2009 11:27 am

@Mehar Gill

“this is the internet, people from all over the world can view a a webpage from just about anywhere”

Whow, I guess you missed all the debate about various totalitarian states like Iran, North Korea and…yes…China, censoring web content.

Guess you find these practices, as well as their non-democratic way of running their countries, more acceptable than I do.

29. Mehar Gill on August 3rd, 2009 1:30 pm

@Jonsson

I didn’t mention any specific group of people, a country, etc. Do I really have to go this in-depth to explain the simple concept of offending someone?

No country is fully democratic, communist, etc in his day and age. This is a technology site, not a political forum. Please try to focus on the discussion at hand and leave your own political views out of it.

30. UK on August 5th, 2009 4:10 am

@ Jonsson

I agree!

China is definitely a shady state with its foundations built upon 3 evil pillars – Dictatorship, Fear & HR abuse. Strangely it still manages to pull trades off left, right and center with countries like US, UK & much of Europe due to our open and liberal economies (i.e. govt policies) & due to some greedy multinational corporates feeding their own selfish motives.

Unfortunately it is us who are feeding the evil red dragon & its appetite is surely on the increase to the extent that one day its communist regime will swallow us all!

Unless we shield our economies via protectist policies & change our mentality putting the interest of countries before the interests of large multinational coporations we will not be able to free ourselves & our people from the low cost shite quality addiction!!!

31. UK on August 5th, 2009 4:21 am

& BTW I rarely use Chinese products even if they come free!

Infact I believe they should be used as samples or even toys for kids to play with. Ohh actually they are not even safe as toys apparantly causing poisioning to some kids in India who ended up placing a ban on imported Chinese toys

Trust me they have no use watsoever & will only incur costs for tipping.
    CHINA sells WE buy & then CHINA BUYS BACK TO RECYCLE & WE BUY AGAIN – This is really a VICIOUS circle

32. LueZuve on August 5th, 2009 9:09 pm

CBHD will never make it anywhere outside of China. That’s my prophecy, let it be. If it does, come back to this page and give me a big old “Told ya so!”

33. Jonsson on August 6th, 2009 11:24 am

@UK -

Yes UK, it’s really amazing that we, who are supposed to stand for democracy still chooses to support these totalitarian states when it looks like we can make a cheap buck.

Unfortunately there are two kinds of people making this happen, the people that will do anything for a quick buck and the people that are naive enough to think that “No country is fully democratic, communist, etc in his day and age.” No names mentioned.

Mehar claims that it is a technical forum. Actually, I was led to believe that it was a forum about format wars. I believe it is therefore totally adequate to point out that CHBD is a government supported format in a communist dictatorship and therefore it will have a HUGE edge over any other format within this totalitarian non-democratic state. Therefore any BS about how well CHBD is doing over BD from former HD-DVD supporters (and I am sure it will come) is totally irrelevant.

I find it morally dubious of democratic companies to support a format created by the same totalitarian system that tries to force organisation like Google etc. to censor material within said state.

34. Cguo on August 9th, 2009 7:39 pm

@UK@Jonsson
    I am not suprised at seeing you guys’ posts like that, and I believe you are not the best ones doing this. Searching YouTube on something related to China, even simply a Chinese song, there will be comments, from which you can see all dirty thing that could exist within human kinds’ soul. Bias, Racism, Lies, Revilement, anything. That’s the reason why I do not visit YouTube any longer.

Trust me most Chinese would be living and feeling better if people like you two stop pointing on other people with a cheap “democracy” excuse. Leave us alone. If you believe you are really care about “democracy”, find a history book, and see if your ancestor have done anything good in China’s history, before you boys can be shamelessly like that thinking yourself standing higher and looking down.

And please be kind at least leave here unpolluted with your “democracy” post. Disgusting.

35. Mehar Gill on August 9th, 2009 8:32 pm

@Jonsson – Technical forum that includes the format wars, not politics! If the government really wanted CBHD to win you wouldn’t see a single Blu Ray disc on Chinese soil according to your interpretations of life there.

Excuse my language but if you think any country is fully on system than you are a fool . Even the United States which is seen as one of the most democratic countries in the world has government control, perhaps this will help you?

@UK -

The world can’t work without the aid of countries like India, China, Vietnam, etc, they offer so much for so little. A majority of the products in your house are probably made partly in China.

If I lived in India, I’d be more worried about my own government poising me than the Chinese government.

@Cguo -

Please excuse their hateful comments, they don’t know any better. It’s unfortunate your first experience with Format War Central happened under these circumstances. I would like to apologize for any offense you have taken here.

36. Jonsson on August 10th, 2009 12:40 pm

@Cguo

I guess you are on the payroll of the Chinese communist party. At least you seem to be more interrested in defending the communist dictatorship and less so about democracy. Sigh!

37. Jonsson on August 10th, 2009 12:54 pm

@Mehar Gill

Oh come on Mehar. Do you really believe all the stuff you spew out.

“Excuse my language but if you think any country is fully on system than you are a fool”

That sentence do not make sense even if one tries. “Fully on system”? “than you are a fool”. Gibberish!

“The world can’t work without the aid of countries like India, China, Vietnam, etc, they offer so much for so little.”

Wow, the world can not work without cheep (child/slave) labour from China. You really made a fool of yourself there. Yay right we can’t do without lead leaded poisonous toys and other things from communist countries.

“The MAJORITY of the products in my house should be made in China”. Wow, Mr clueless speaks again. Most people around here would consider that an extreme insult. You said that I might insult someone. Well you just did (as you did a while ago with your remarks about European countries).

You are more worried about your own government. Fine, that’s your problem. Most of the democratic world however, is more concerned about communist dictatorships than India though. Maybe you should think about that before rambling on.

38. Mehar Gill on August 10th, 2009 1:15 pm

@Jonsson

You find one grammatical error in my comment? I can already find many in yours.

Do you really think the only labor that comes from those countries is either child or slave? You are one confused human being. I guess all those call center reps are just 5 year olds who have really deep voices? The Chinese must be contaminating Asia’s water supply with growth hormones!

I never said that, it’s not like we are having a oral conversation where words can be lost. Even if I did say that (which I didn’t, just scroll up), how exactly is that offensive? It is after all a key factor in this democracy you keep talking about, I the business man go where ever I can make the greatest profit. I never said anything insulting about European countries, it was just your dumb ass trying to spin things.

I guess the Ford Pinto, food contaminations, tire safety hazards, lithium battery complications, etc were all the work of those damn Chinese spies.

I never said anything about Canada. Or are you one of those people who think just because someone has a “Indian sounding name”they have to have either been born, raised, or are living in India? I suppose you also think I drive a cab, work in a 7-11, or even end all my sentences with buddy? Buddy.

Lay off the Fox news pal, it will do you a world of good.

39. Jonsson on August 10th, 2009 10:34 pm

@Mehar Gill

Never watch Fox news! I just grasp realities anyway. Something which you seems to have missed.

I didn’t spin anything by the way.

40. UK on August 20th, 2009 7:39 am

@ Jonsson

Most of the gadgets in my house are Japanese or S Korean made. Quality speaks for itself! I would deter from purchasing sub-standard goods because they will not last long and also because they have the immense potential to fuel an economy errr… Oops correction… equip a government with resources to inflict pain/harm on its own people. Look at Burma, look at N Korea!

@ Mehar I should refer to you as a historian? You do seem to have extensive knowledge regarding Tiananmen Square, Tibet & Uyghurs

What if you belonged to one of the groups of people mistreated by the Chinese communist authorities?

@Cguo – shut up and go back to your Chinese shitehole! Your views are bound to be biased towards your government! Your integrity is questionable. Best you can do is to brown nose them and the best Mehar can do is to appease you!!

41. UK on August 20th, 2009 7:56 am

China is also engaged in notoriously extreme territorial expansion into nearby seas and land. It has traditionally had an “annexation” policy of land grabbing! It is advancing its boundaries into other countries ignoring the international boundary conventions.

It is a rogue nation providing military and financial assistance to countries like Iran, Pakistan and N Korea i.e. the axis of evil. Last couple of weeks have been a wake up call for even the Australian government who have been backstabbed by their Chinese counterparts.

Rio Tinto has learnt its lesson by voting against the merger with Chinalco. China wants more than 40% discounts on iron ore? why? cause they are the biggest importer? well surely the markets should dictate terms not one single country. Are they building a Great wall of steel?? Hopefully not!

It is a REAL greedy RED dragon & someone needs to tame it soon otherwise it will be too late

42. Jonsson on August 24th, 2009 11:39 pm

@UK

I agree fully, the naive attitudes towards China (that certain ignorant posters around here seems to have) is quite worrying.

The civilized world should take a much harder stance against this last (important) bastion of communist totalitarian states.

Heck, even the Swedish newspapers (yes I’m Swedish) which are quite left wing oriented, report very critical against the Chinese dictatorship.

But, unfortunately, there are enough naive people to let China do what the f— they want.

43. Cguo on August 25th, 2009 2:57 am

@UK
    Is there a way I can prove I’m not “part of the state propaganda” or on the payroll of communist party, while don’t have to agree with your BS, in your logic?

@UK
    Go back? FWC is your private toy? Shut up? Isn’t talking free the things you guys are talking about all the day? Am I only free to talk about BS you like to hear? You don’t buy any Chinese product? That’s great and thanks to God. You simply don’t deserve it.

Were you talking about history? Say who had divided India to India and Pakistan, and left Kashmir between them? And who left the McMahon Line between China and India? And who were selling people of Afica overseas as slaves while left nothing but borderline devided by warp and weft? Chinese? Teach me, in the history, that Chinese had done something more evil and unhuman than that.

Your integrity is at least badly polluted, not questionable. This can be proved by your easily questioning other one’s integrity. UK is actually the shithole, since it has you living there. Do other people outside UK a favour, by not going out and not smelling up. You deserve this asseesment and I believe this is what you were looking for.

@Jonsson@Jonsson

Just curious about what led you here since you two don’t seem to know any HD formats. Searching “China” on Google? You are actually the ones that most be suspected to be payed for a post.

@Mehar Gill
    I’m actually the one need to appologize. I tried not to pollute this thread by not refuting them. This will be my last unrelated post and I’ll leave here to Mr UK and Mr Swedish if they can stop after maybe one or two more posts I guess, and make themselves feel satisfied, in this CBHD thread. I just hope you were not getting too much offence from them while trying to be neutral. This is the world, and let it go.

44. Jonsson on August 29th, 2009 11:29 am

@Cguo

I do not need to get paid to tell the truth. The fact that you suggest that it would be the case seems to tell more about you than me.

By the way, China is the world record holder in excecutions. I guess you can spin this into a good thing :-)

Maybe you would like to comment on China’s record on the human right’s side?

Any state that forbids any political opinion or free forming of political parties is a totalitarian state. Full stop. Your patetic excuses for this dictatorship is laughable to say the least.

It’s a shame that some people, having the benefit of living in a democracy, obviously do not understand the gift they have been given :-(

45. Cguo on August 30th, 2009 7:47 pm

@Jonsson
    Yes, China is the world record holder in excecutions. It is not hard to understand considering the fact that China has the biggest popullation. Furthermore, China made a big move on reducing the excecution. You can search Google on that. On the other hand, if Sweden keeps that record, that would be a really news.

If talk about human right, what do you think about anti-poverty? if that was considered in human right, wouldn’t China should be awarded the biggest medal for that? I know you are from a country that has an enviable social welfare. I bet you have never experienced poverty, and don’t know what poverty tragically means.

China is apprantly far from faultless, lots and lots problems exist in politics, laws, ecnomics, and there are corruptions and bureaucracys and still many poverty. But I’d rather talk the details domesticly, because I don’t think you guys can think without prejudice. And any idea that think China should be running in another way, would has no pratical evidence at least, and sounds ridiculous to me.

Democrazy is great, but I have to say that most democrazy outside traditional western countries are not that charming. Save your democrazy domesticly. There are only one thing between nations, i.e., PROFIT. History has the evidence, many.

Everyone living in this world got influence from the environment and the media, no exceptions, the same to you. Didn’t the countries you mentioned were picked out by some goverment or media? You find that yourself? Could you wait a few seconds and think more on that before saying ‘full stop’ on something? Try thinking on both sides, and that can help you from thinking openly, and sometime, can save your money.

If you had the chance, I’d suggest you to visit China, to any place including Tibet and Urumchi. You’ll see that even your left wing oriented media can not get over prejudice too. All because of that notorious ‘political correct’, no matter it is actually correct or not.

46. Jonsson on August 30th, 2009 10:26 pm

@Cguo

Sheez, the communist propaganda machine has spoken. My left wing oriented media ??? Are you smoking something?

Sigh, we know now that you favour a communist dictatorship and spits on democracy. Good for you, now go away!

47. Mehar Gill on August 31st, 2009 4:54 pm

Jonsson: Do you know what a democracy even is? Do you know that no country is fully democratic? See the United States for instance, they have a government run military, welfare system, department of energy, FCC, etc. This picture should explain it,

Even then, the fact that the government is able to or proposing a system that can “shut down the Internet” should mean something to you. As such, no country in the world is or was ever a truly Communist nation. Why don’t you stop for second and look at the world around you.

I live in Canada, we are a mixed economy, we have elements of both a government and a “public” government in our country.

48. Jonsson on August 31st, 2009 10:44 pm

And so Mehar steps in a shows how little he knows.

Funny that he should mention censoring of the Internet since China is one of the nations doing their best to get control of that so that the masses won’t “get any ideas” that doesn’t please the totalitarian regime.

But then to him most of Europe is communist so… :-(

49. Mehar Gill on September 1st, 2009 10:57 am

@Jonsson – Not everything censored in China is censored for human rights reasons. Some forms of censorship are for societal reasons. Skeletons or any form of media showing something without skin is banned as it is taboo in Chinese culture. There are many similar examples for you to look through, not everything is for oppression as you claim.

Similar to Germany apparently images and other items associated with the Nazi Party are banned in China. Films, music, video games, etc are censored to remove them if they exist. Perhaps the Chinese users on FWC can shed more light on this?

And I gave you heaps of evidence to prove my posts in this thread, you have given nothing other than what you make up in your mind. I never said most of Europe was Communist, it was just your stupidity that inferred it.

50. Tyler Pruitt on September 1st, 2009 2:55 pm

Enough with the China flame war….

51. Cguo on September 1st, 2009 7:17 pm

@Jonsson

You did mention Sweden’s “left winged oriented media”. And since my first post, you were refering me as part propaganda machine later to be on the payroll of communist party. That is prejudice. My boss is American, okay?

You dont actually know anything, HD formats, communism, socialism, capitalism, history, any of them. You are still live in last 70s, and most probably a vermin of the social welfare, and can do nothing useful. I was simply wrong thinking you can do and intend to do a rational talk and wasted my words talking to an illiterate. End.

Get out of this CBHD thread, since you simply don’t have this choice other than BD.

@Mehar Gill -

You have my thanks for not got bad things out of this thread only. Actually I’m really amazed at some of your points. Since we both work/worked on HD formats, we’ll met somewhere else. Good luck.

52. Eduardo on September 2nd, 2009 10:20 am

In Japanese, they’re basically saying at the beginning if you can notice the difference between those two boxes, for every 10 movies bought in china, 6 are DVD, 3 are CBHD and 1 BR.

They went to a production facility where toshiba provided the engineers and machines which is basically a dvd production pipeline, its based in china.

They’re comparing the countries that developed similar systems, in that case VHS was a japanese tech, CD was developed by japan / europe
    DVD Japan/europe/USA

An CBHD will cost you 800 YEN
    BR will cost 2800 YEN
    About 80 and 280 Mexican Pesos (7USD – 20USD)
    Even WB Warner Brothers, provided support for the distribution of the CBHD format.

53. Jonsson on September 3rd, 2009 7:42 am

@Cguo

Tell me, which part of Tylers post did you not understand. Obviously the clueless one is truly you, not only when communism is concerned.