Magnavox Blu-ray Player Only $98 After Wal-Mart Price Rollback

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on July 9, 2009
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Hardware, Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart has just lowered the price on the Magnavox NB530MGX Blu-ray player. The new price is $98, which is a rollback from the previous price of $168. This is the same model player that was sold on Fathers Day weekend for $128.

Normally we would steer people clear of the low end Blu-ray players, but at this price we can’t think of a single reason not to buy one. You can buy 3 of these players for the price Wal-Mart is charging for the Sony BDP-S360!

Does this price tempt you to pick up a second Blu-ray player for the bedroom?

1. New Magnavox NB530MGX Blu-ray Player Surfaces At Wal-Mart
  2. Sony BDP-BX37 Blu-ray Player Hits Costco Shelves
  3. Momitsu Promises Cheap Region Free Blu-ray Player
  4. Blu-ray 3-Packs are Today’s Amazon Gold Box Deal

Comments

18 Responses to “Magnavox Blu-ray Player Only $98 After Wal-Mart Price Rollback”

1. anon on July 11th, 2009 5:27 am

98USD does sound cheap, but 30 or 40 dollars of that is probably going to the licenser of some of the tech in the box that the customer doesn’t actually want: The DRM.

Even at this price, I wouldn’t buy one. I do not waste my money on products that are designed to fail, and that is what DRM does.

But I’m not about to miss out on sections of modern culture. I want to contribute to it, but due to some art only being available through crippled media I have no choice but to “pirate” it.

I urge anyone who sees this to learn what a con most digital media is, and the tech that surrounds it.

2. Preston Ziegler on July 11th, 2009 4:55 pm

this is a joke. there is no Magnavox NB530MGX at http://www.walmart.com/

3. Uncle Buck on July 12th, 2009 7:48 am

Sounds to good to be true.. any reasons they rolled back the price??

4. Ysunwoo on July 12th, 2009 11:17 am

I’m still miffed over my vhs collection being converted so I can play them in the future. Now I have to worry about my DVD as well.

5. Dave on July 13th, 2009 5:36 am

I nearly fellover when I saw the stack of these blu-ray players priced at $98.00, I bought one, because it was a price that i couldn’t refuse. Tried it out on a blu-ray movie that night, “Cars” The next night I played Ironman on it, Great picture and it played perfectly. It also plays non blu-ray DVD’s.

6. ChuckyDee on July 13th, 2009 7:59 pm

I wonder why these are not $98 at all wal-marts. Does anyone have any info when possibly it will be that at all stores?

7. gmusic on July 16th, 2009 5:41 pm

I picked one up for 128 at a regular walmart this monday, saw the same at a superwalmart the next day for 98, the first store just refunded the thirty bucks to me tonight after i explained the situation. picture is beautiful and perfect, saw my first bluray movie earlier in the week and it enhances the picture of my regular dvd’s. i love walmart :) get em while they’re hot!

8. deadeyes on July 17th, 2009 7:26 pm

My Wal*Marts in Middle Tn still have them priced at 168, what a rip.

9. gharp on July 19th, 2009 3:38 pm

For those that have seen / bought this player, what area are you in? I tried to pick one up over the weekend in Eastern Oregon / Central Washington, and they were all priced at $168. Still haven’t looked around the Seattle area yet though.

10. Adam T on July 20th, 2009 6:57 am

I’m in Cincinnati, OH and went straight to Wal-Mart the day this was announced. This player was marked at $128, but I bought it anyway. Yesterday, I checked again at the same store, and the price had been lowered to $98 (after some argument, they refunded the difference). I’ve only used the player a couple of times, but I haven’t had any problems with it.

Be warned that the Wal-Mart price adjustment period is only 7 days from purchase.

11. jsmith on July 20th, 2009 2:07 pm

I picked up 2 of the NB500MGX from the WalMart in Lynnwood, WA @ $98.00. They wouldn’t sell me the NB530MGX for less than the $168.00 shelf price. My sister bought the NB530MGX from a WalMart in Orange County, CA for $98.00 with no issue and they stocked both models. Both models appear to have the exact same feature sets.

12. RJSmith on July 23rd, 2009 12:23 pm

I went to the Walmart in Lynnwood, WA to purchase the NB530MGX, but they were priced at $168, so purchased 2 of the NB500MGX instead at $98, after customer service did a price check by calling the Everett, WA store. The 500 worked great with our newer tv but with one that was a little older there seemed to be an issue so we thought it was defective. We went to the Everett, WA Walmart to exchange it and found that the NB530MGX was also priced at $98, so decided to purchse 2 of these instead as they are the newer ones. THey work great on both tvs. Note: We found that the 500 we returned was not defective at all, but it was the way we had hooked it up…………electronics!! All is well now and the picture is great. A great purchase!

13. kRemtronicz on July 25th, 2009 6:51 pm

Why would somebody pay so little for a Blu-ray? Wait, are you suggesting that the industry is just traying to make as much money as possible from us… that’s what it is! Prices are already dropping, and they will continue like that. It is just a marketing strategy used over, and over, and over again. But yes, I would pick my first one from Walmart!

14. Lee on July 29th, 2009 5:17 pm

I just bought one of these last night for $98. I hooked it up to the 42″ Sony WEGA KF42WE610 that I currently have set up in my bedroom. This is a somewhat older rear projection LCD model that only does 1080i, but it does have HDCP support and at one time was considered to be among the best HDTV’s made.

For $98, the Magnavox is extremely hard to beat. The Blu-Ray image quality is good, and it also works well as a dvd player (though not as well as my Denon 1600). One thing to note is that if you’re going to use it to play DVD’s, set the output to 480p (unless the scaler in your TV really sucks).

For comparison, I have a Samsung BD-1600 running on a 37″ Visio direct view LCD that I bought at Costco a couple of years back. The blu-ray image quality from the Magnavox is comparable to what I’m getting from the Samsung, even though the Samsung was 2.5 times as much.

This is a 1.1 profile player, but for a secondary unit I don’t care. As long as it plays the movie I’m not going to complain, not at that price.

I’m thinking about picking up a few of these as Christmas presents for people who I know don’t have blu-ray players.

15. clinton on August 13th, 2009 3:53 pm

I got one too. Everything is great, but the 1080p option is kind of shottie. Of course I dont know if my TV supports 1080p, might only be 1080i, (It was a gift last year). The manuscript says that switching to that may cause temporary distortion, but past a minute?…Honestly, I watch it in 1080i and I see no difference between 1080i and 1080p( and yes I know one is progressive scan for viewing quick cameras moving and the interlaced is not better.)

Maybe it is just so minute.

16. Mike on August 22nd, 2009 8:33 pm

@Preston Ziegler

I just got one of these tonight from my local WalMart.

It was $98.00 and I got a 1 year extended warranty for $5.88

It is real

The UPC is 005381857080

17. ksherry on April 8th, 2010 9:32 pm

I’m glad to hear nothing negative about this blue ray player. I work at a walmart in the cincinnati area and we just rolled them back to $78 dollars! hopefully there is some left when i get to work tomorrow

18. Mike on April 12th, 2010 2:52 pm

I’m at a walmart here in Colton, ca and there is a magnavox blue-Ray DVD player model nb530mgx and it sells for 78 dollars