Panasonic DMP-BD605 Blu-ray Player Lands at Costco

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on April 1, 2009
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Costco, Format War, Hardware

Panasonic has released it’s DMP-BD605 Blu-ray as a Costco exclusive model. The player is priced at $279.99, and as far as we can tell is the same exact player as the Panny DMP-BD60 (but with a free HDMI cable included in the box). We have a feeling this is to reduce the amount of returns from people that hook up their new Blu-ray player with the red-white-yellow composite A/V cables.

Panasonic’s choice to make a Costco (and maybe Sam’s Club) exclusive model number is no surprise, as it keeps price matching retailers like Best Buy happy. Sony did the same thing with their Costco exclusive model BDP-BX1 Blu-ray player last year.

We have just hooked up the DMP-BD605, so look for a unboxing/mini-review as soon as we can get it done.

Panasonic DMP-BD605k at Costco

Panasonic DMP-BD605k at Costco

Comments

24 Responses to “Panasonic DMP-BD605 Blu-ray Player Lands at Costco”

1. Moises O. on April 1st, 2009 5:48 pm

My brother bought the exclusive Sony model BDP-BX1 last year at Costco for Christmas but his home was burgled a few days later . He didn’t even get to unbox it, geez. Maybe he’ll end up buying this model from Panasonic as a replacement, I’ll let him know about it.

Looking forward to the review, thanks!

2. Simon on April 2nd, 2009 9:26 am

Hmmm..I was just at costco last night….they sure have a lot of ‘em ready to roll out. I’ll be waiting for when costco has a coupon or when the manufacturer does a promo and slashes 50 or 75 bucks off.

3. Don on April 7th, 2009 4:20 pm

Not quite exclusive – Sam’s Club will also carry the DMP-BD605.

4. Jeff on April 8th, 2009 7:01 am

It may have been a break that the Sony BDP-BX1 was stolen — I returned mine in favor of a Panasonic. That model Sony took forever to load a DVD. Panasonic is a better player, but their tech support is terrible — the voice recognition system is cumbersome and of poor quality!

5. Charlie on April 14th, 2009 9:02 am

I got the Sony BDP-BX1 at BJ’s a few days after “Black Friday” for $190.00 and thought players were coming down in price. If Blu-ray is ever going to succeed, the prices must come down. BD live is not needed. I have the latest firmware not because I wanted BD live but for the latest frimware fixes. I will never hook my player up to the Internet. Considering that ISPs are soon going to be charging per gigabyte, I think others will be cutting down on consumption. Anyway, what I feel is needed are players that play Blu-ray disks period at a reasonable price.

6. Victor Rodriguez on April 15th, 2009 12:35 pm

I bouhgt this Panny DMP-BD605 last week it has many features like YouTube and Picasa that I enjoy a lot, the sound is amazing and the video quality too.

This is an entry level Blu-ray player I think is worth every penny, if you want and upscale model you should think in NAD, Marantz and Pioneer Elite.

If you like Champagne and dont have the money too buy it try a coke them.

7. dave on April 16th, 2009 9:21 pm

Thats Great–I wonder if they will also carry the DMP BD-805 with 7.1 hook-up model for us that have an older av receiver.???????

8. docoman on April 30th, 2009 6:46 am

Does anyone know if this model displays current time? I have a BD35K, works great, but one drawback is not displaying the current time like so many other DVD players that I have do.

9. sheila on July 19th, 2009 9:41 pm

just bought a panasonic dmp-bd605 today 7.19.09 and starting looking on line to c how i would have to update firmware. i am not an electronics or computer wiz by any means but i couldn’t figure out the website i go to to update firmware. you get panasonic.net/support as a website but finding out how to update firmware was confusing, at least to me. anyone out there have suggestions (easy ones that is) for a dummy like me????

10. Bob on August 25th, 2009 7:44 pm

@docoman
    What is wrong about buying a $10 clock?

11. Dano on September 1st, 2009 7:47 pm

I have this unit from Costco. I think my wife paid about $229 ish with a coupon around Fathers day 2009. It’s a nice unit, the firmware update was painless (if you connect it to broadband). The remote is better than some but not universal. It lacks Netflix and I’m not sure it supports 7.1 but it does great with 5.1. I’ve seen some cheaper units lately at Walmart but Panasonic makes a good product. It did come with the cable as well. Nice bonus.

12. Ray Edmond on September 16th, 2009 5:28 pm

I think I’m sold on this player, but I am curious about something. Will I see a difference on a 720P Samsung HDTV if I connect a Blu ray player to it, or will I just be wasting $$$$?

13. dean on September 27th, 2009 1:25 pm

SAM’ S has it for $169, If Costco has it $279 then get it at sam’s club.

14. Roger Marrotte on September 28th, 2009 5:51 pm

@Dano – I just bought the DMP BD-605 today at Costco for $169.99. It seems to work well. I went to the Panasonic web site looking for firmware upgrades, but I didn’t see any for the -605. The firmware version loaded on my player is 1.1. Is this the latest? I don’t have it connected to the internet yet, so it can’t look for an automatic update. What version of the firmware was your’s upgraded to? And finally, is the -605 the same as the -60? Can I use the -60 firmware to upgrade my player?

15. Mike L on October 14th, 2009 9:59 am

@Roger Marrotte – I downloaded the 2.1 update for the -60, and it loaded fine and works great…only had it two days, but was watching a homemade AVC HD set of disks fine…to a 52″ LCD 1080p Mitsu…

16. Shaun on October 23rd, 2009 10:41 pm

@sheila – Hi Sheila. It’s rather easy. Just run a cable from your router into the back of your blu ray player……(hope u have broadband)…..THEN turn on the blu ray player and watch your TV screen. Your screen will say updates YES or NO. Choose YES of course and it automatically does it. wait until it downloads then updates itself THEN go about your business. I do not have my blu ray connected to the internet so I “borrowed” the cable that connects my router to my PC and ran it from router to the blu ray player just for the downloads.

it’s in the owners manual too.

God Bless

17. Nick on October 24th, 2009 11:17 am

Purchased this unit October 22nd (159$ Costco w/ HDMI cable). I have a Westinghouse 42″ 1080p and my TV would not work with HDMI cable. Called tech support and through trouble shooting I was able to get an image on the screen with analog connection. I guess TV not compatible with Panansonic player. Tech Rep stated I could get 720 quality connection!!!??? What a waste of buying a Blu ray and not being able to use its full capapcity. I will return the unit and see if Samsung or Sony will work with TV. Both available for 179$ at Costco (w HDMI cable).

18. Brian on November 5th, 2009 12:31 pm

@Nick

I just purchased this unit and had the same problem with the HDMI not working with my 52″ Toshiba DLP. The tech guy told me it was probably a handshake issue and to try it on another tv in my house. It worked on my 32″ LCD but that is not my surround sound set. Guess I’m returning it for a Sony Blue-ray as well.

19. Jason on November 28th, 2009 10:31 pm

I just picked it up from costco today for $130 and the firmware upgrade was a breeze, it update automatically once you connect it to the net.

20. Cameron on December 25th, 2009 11:23 pm

I got the panasonic Blu Ray DMP- BD605. I set it up and put in Inglorius Basterds and paused it. Screen saver came on and couldn’t get it to start from where it left off.

Looking in manual it seems BD-Live (which seems to be the newest format) can’t do this.

If I drag a router cable all the way across the living room and do a firmware update, will this issue be resolved?

21. Mitchel B on January 1st, 2010 11:04 pm

Just Hooked up the DMP BD605, put in Inglorious Bastards it goes to the page that lists your choices including play at the top. I hit play, the disclaimers come up then the Universal logo shows then everything stops and it says “reading”. Nothing happens after this. The firmware updates do not show the BD 605 model and I can’t find any help anywhere. Whats the deal?

22. dan n on February 1st, 2010 1:16 pm

I have several answers for what i have read but i will stick with the issue panasonic 605 player blu ray.this is the best player up against samsung and sonys in home theater mag for picture,it has a great video processor in it plus it up converts sd to 1080 and 720 I would not of belived it had i saw it by changing out my sony with the panasonic player put on a good video you have watch before and see how it looks.I to miss that does not have netflix but i will get the roku player use it on all tvs in house and on home theater 9foot screen front projection hd.panasonic has great factory service if you call them or email them yhey will stand behind thier products.

23. Cole K on February 11th, 2010 9:35 pm

@sheila – Do it through the player itself. Under settings or somewhere you pick firmware update; that’s how I did mine! Good Luck!

24. Tom on March 19th, 2010 7:43 am

I just purchased a 605 at COSTCO for $179 less an automatic $60 rebate, making it $119. My only complaint with it so far is that it is not easy to skip the movie previews at the beginning of a DVD. Does anyone know what the latest firmware update does/is it needed?