New Magnavox NB530MGX Blu-ray Player Surfaces At Wal-Mart

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on January 29, 2009
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Hardware, Wal-Mart

Our local Wal-Mart has just received a new shipment of Magnavox NB530MGX Blu-ray players. The weird thing is that this appears to be a new model, as Magnavox’s previous Blu-ray player was the NB500MG9.

The lame thing about new model is the fact that it is still only a Profile 1.1 (Bonus View) Blu-ray player.  We have a feeling this might be the first 2009 model Funai OEM’d Blu-ray player to be released so far. So it might just be a feature matched 2009 version of the NB500MG9.

One thing that might be interesting, Philips has licensed its name to Funai for use on DVD and Blu-ray players for 2009. We bring this up because the Magnavox NB530MGX might be giving us a preview of what the Philips BDP-3010 will be like when it hits store shelves in April. Not that we recommend buying this player if you can help it.

Have you seen the Magnavox NB530MGX Blu-ray player at a Wal-Mart near you?

Link to Magnavox NB530MGX on Walmart.com

Magnavox NB530MGX BLu-ray Player

1. Magnavox Blu-ray Player Only $98 After Wal-Mart Price Rollback
  2. Philips BDP7200 Blu-ray Player $199 at Costco
  3. Low Cost Blu-ray Players Being Outsold By Higher Priced Models?
  4. Philips BDP7200 Blu-ray Player Lands At Costco
  5. Memorex Blu-ray Player Gets Reviewed

Comments

33 Responses to “New Magnavox NB530MGX Blu-ray Player Surfaces At Wal-Mart”

1. Jennifer Nottingham on February 4th, 2009 3:51 pm

The new Magnavox Blu Ray player at Wal Mart IS different from last year’s model. It has an optical audio out (in addition to a coaxial cable – last year’s model just had a coaxial out). It also has an SD Card slot – last year’s model did not. And it looks different – last year’s model was basic black with a silver “Frame” around it. THis year’s model has a silver-gray plate at the bottom, as well as a “standby/on” button on the front.

So there you go.

2. Greg on February 20th, 2009 8:00 am

@Jennifer Nottingham
    I tried connecting an optical audio cable from the Blu ray player to my home theater’s optical input but it wouldn’t work/no sound. What do you think the problem might be? Is it likely that one of the optical inputs are dead?

3. Tyler Pruitt on February 20th, 2009 9:49 pm

Greg, try going into the settings menu and selected spdif as audio output.

4. john billings on March 1st, 2009 9:02 pm

@Jennifer Nottingham
    did you actually buy this player? hows it goin so far any trouble with newer released blu ray movies?

5. caton on March 14th, 2009 10:07 am

the dark knight plays great

6. Greg D Brown on April 10th, 2009 2:45 pm

I have just purchased the NB530MGX and I am also new to the Blue-ray era. I recently rented Day The Earth Stood Still, and could not get the dolby digital sound to work. The video dvd was formatted in dts HD. Only sound I got was in format for spanish and french. My Question is? does this model player require some kind of up grade as I have been asking some people at the video stores. I have a receiver that has dts setting in another room. Would that make a difference or is it just in the player it self. Im from the anolog age trying to get digitized (Help!)

7. Say no to nb530mgx on May 7th, 2009 4:54 pm

I thought things were going well. Then I tried to watch Bedtime stories. It only played the previews over and over. Called Funai, was told to download firmware upgrade. Went to download, they only have two available and not for this model, I called back and was informed they do not plan on releasing firmware updates to play the newer bl-ray disks. I’ve returned the item to the store. Buying Sony….

8. Phillip H on May 8th, 2009 6:55 pm

@Greg D Brown – Getting the digital sound set up properly is a bit confusing…go into SETUP and find the HDMI Audio Out setting and change it to Audio Mute. Once you have made that change, you have a choice of Bitstream or LPCM – choose Bitstream. Both Dolby Digital and DTS should now work….

9. Jim D. Gloyd on June 12th, 2009 7:23 am

I bought the NB530MGX, and I also had connection problems. I was not getting any audio by using the instructions in the booklet, and I wound up calling a local stereo shop for some free advice. After speaking with them, I got great sound to go with the already great picture. My question is: What causes the picture to periodically flicker for a few seconds? I doesn’t affect the audio at all, but it IS puzzling.

10. Manav Misra on July 4th, 2009 10:03 am

We just got in Bedtime Stories blu-ray and it won’t play! This is the first one that we have had trouble with. Dark Knight and several others were fine.

11. Jonathan Pokress on July 9th, 2009 5:23 pm

Had a bad experience. 3 out of 6 disks are froze in the middle of the movie. This model is not listed on Magnavox’s support site, and their support line has never heard of this model — one from Walmart?

12. marcus on July 15th, 2009 6:37 am

If u just bought the magnavox nb530mgx, take it back to wal mart to replace or get your money back. I just bought one from wal mart but it was what I believe to be a 500mgx it wouldnt play some blu ray movies and the ones it did play had blue and yellow lines through the movie.

I took it back and replaced/exchanged it for another magnavox which was 50 bucks more and caused a ruckus among wal mart employees because the same item was causing 50 bucks more come to find out i had exchanged a 500mgx for a 530mgx and i didnt figure it out till i had got home so I walked away with a 200 dollar blu ray for 128 dollars so technically I saved about 70 bucks. Yet there were no visually differences on the box or phycially on the player that I could see other than a model #. So I got over; there fault.
    But Yeah, I have no problems with the 530mgx, but I wish I had have saved for the samsung with more options. Also in walmart, people were returning a lot of those magnavox blu ray and DVD players at the time I bought mine.

13. marcus on July 15th, 2009 6:43 am

dts and dts hd are different therefore if u want to here it in dts hd u need to upgrade your surround reciever just like i need to do mine.@Greg D Brown -

14. Thomas Mesquite on July 22nd, 2009 10:55 am

I got the 500gmx and the 530mgx. The 500mgx has played all the blue rays. I have not checked the bed time stories or specifically disney movies. Otherwise its a great player. I changed the default audio setting to get DTS master or True HD. I have an AV receiver and it shows the input. The picture quality is great so is the load time. I got it for $98. The only difference is 530 can play more types of DVD’s. Otherwise the build is great so is the look of the player and it has optical output. Now for $98 I dont care if it cant play few blue rays.

15. therat on July 24th, 2009 1:21 pm

I just got this player yesterday and so far I love it and haven’t had any problems yet. I say for the price it is a decent player someone who is poor and wanting to get into Blu Ray this is the ticket. Don’t expect much in terms of features though but the SD card slot is nice although I haven’t tested it out yet. I only have 2 movies, Fantastic Four and Street Fighter Extreme Edition, both play fine, SF has some special features that it won’t support due to being profile 1.1 but I just needed a cheap player to get started to for me it isn’t a big deal. I only have an old Panasonic receiver from the 70′s that does Stereo Sound only so I can’t comment on the audio settings but so far it sounds pretty good with my set up even though no DTS obviously. If you are on a budget and want to experience BR this is a decent player just for watching movies not the extras though.

16. Lucy on August 5th, 2009 9:02 pm

@john billings – Tried to play “Twilight” on the Blue-ray player with no luck, however all other blue ray disks work fine on it.
    Can’t figure this one out at all.

17. Tony on August 16th, 2009 12:18 pm

@Phillip H

I’m going to try this tank you, I put in my first BlueRay, It played sound all the way upto and including the menu screen, once i started the movie no sound, i played with stepup and i could hear the commentary but when i shut that off still no sound on the movie.I put in an old DVD and it worked great. I hope your fix works for me

18. George Morley on August 25th, 2009 5:29 am

I bought the Mag nb530mgx and am having problems getting 7.1 to play.A dvd of Gladiator 6.1 works o.k. but a bluray of Bangkok Dangerous 7.1 only plays in 5.1.I am getting up in years and get pretty confused reading the manual.Can anyone help? Thanks,George.

19. debbie on August 25th, 2009 8:06 am

I purchased this DVD player from Sams Club, great sound but the picture is all blue. May be a blu-ray player but dont’ think that meant the movies are all suppose to be blue with very minimal color variation. Everything else seems to work great and the color on our tv is not the problem so I don’t want to start adjusting the color on the tv just to hopefully fix the video play. Any suggestions on what tweaks I can make on the DVD player to get the correct color?

20. Jon on September 4th, 2009 1:08 pm

Here is the link to the updated firmware for the magnavox bd player above that you can purchase from walmart,

it upgrades the profile 1.1 to newest version and plays all BD DVDs

21. Steve B on September 11th, 2009 5:12 pm

I can’t seem to push an HDMI signal from my nb350mgx thru an HDMI switch box. I have tried 3 different makes and models of switches. In all 3 cases, I have isolated to issue to the box. 2 inputs. 1 for sat/cab and one for the blu ray. When I switch to Sat/Cab, I get the picture I am looking for. When I switch to the Blu Ray player, no signal. I called the 1-800 service number and they said the player won’t work with a switch box. I have used a fairly high end box as well as a lower end manual type box. Anyone have any success in this area? I wonder if the nb350 is using a nonstandard hdmi pin out config. Hmmm. And of so, I wonder why?

22. Frank M on October 2nd, 2009 8:53 am

@Jennifer Nottingham

You need to go into setup and change audio output to multi. It is in the manual.

23. Karen on October 10th, 2009 6:41 am

Just purchased the Magnavox NB530MGX from Wal-Mart. I played an old DVD just fine, but it will not play my DVD-R (finalized disc), and this is a media that is listed as compatible, so do any of you have an idea why the player cannot read the DVD-R? Also, I didn’t realize the player cannot read HD DVD. I’m no techie, so didn’t know if this was pretty universal with all Blu Ray players.

24. Karen on October 10th, 2009 8:08 am

@Jon – I decided to try and update the firmware, so I burned the zip file onto a CD-R, loaded it into the Mag Blu Ray player, and the player cannot read the disc. How do I accomplish a firmware update if the player refuses to read media it clearly says it can read??

25. Jim D. Gloyd on November 3rd, 2009 4:49 am

Well, I’ve had the Magnavox NB530MGX for 5 1/2 months now, and I still get pixilation after around 20 minutes of use. It does it whether I’m playing a BD, DVD or CD. Sometimes it even does it while on pause. No so-called expert I’ve asked can tell me why that happens. Has it happened to any other owners of this particular model? Also, the BD of “Baraka” froze at 1 hr, 50 min. I got my money back on that one. Happily, that’s the only Blu-Ray that’s given me any trouble. I’m still leary of getting another copy.

26. Stephanie D. on November 28th, 2009 12:30 pm

This message is to Jon, you need to unzip the files before you burn them to a cd. I am not sure if you did that, this is most likely the cause of why it would not read the discs.

27. Bill McD. on November 29th, 2009 10:07 am

I’ve recently installed the firmware update on my NB530MGX and you have to download the update then unzip it first to another folder, then burn the unzipped folder to disc in order for it to be readable by the player. Mine installed okay. I have had a few audio problems and a few discs that were unreadable before the update, but have yet to try the discs again to see if the update worked or not. I’ll comment again after trying problem discs again. I found the firmware update at this website http://www.funai-corp.com/support/updates.aspx .

28. dave on December 28th, 2009 3:55 pm

i watched the movie the code on blu-ray and it worked perfect.

29. Remi on January 6th, 2010 8:00 am

I just bought the this same blue ray player from Walmart. I am not able to select 1080i option in the component output menu for this player. I don’t think that i am getting the best quality this player has to offer. Do in need to down load an update for this player to get the output to be 1080?

30. Tawny on March 8th, 2010 9:09 am

DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE on the NB530MGX. I did and now it will play but won’t eject the disk and the dvd won’t shut off. I’m going to try updating it again since I don’t have the original firmware. This player was perfect before the install. It just wouldn’t play the BD (I think that’s what it’s called) disks. So like an idiot I update the firmware. Kicking myself now. Any other suggestions???

31. s on March 13th, 2010 3:07 pm

This model was a Best Buy by my trusted Consumer Reports. It didn’t say it was from Wal-Mart; they usually note if a certain store is connected as well. Just started looking for a player. Surprised for the really good rating with all the comments on this board. Have had GREAT luck with Consumer Reports for nearly 30 years — and been bit when I’ve gone off on my own. Really surprised to see such a difference…… Checking my book again.

32. Andrew on April 22nd, 2010 11:18 pm

I bought this player and I have no problems. If you are watching a Blu-ray disk then you cannot change from 720 to 1080i and such. That is only for non Blu-ray movies. I just bought Avatar and they had a warning about having to update the firmware, but I didnt have to. It took a little longer to load, but it still played

33. carl anderson on April 28th, 2010 2:37 pm

bought a magnavox blu ray player plays dvd excellent i now see clear viewable images on very old videos of old movies(non digitally fix or availible silver nitrate)and also plays king kong blu ray perfect.but it will not avatar movie both blu ray and dvd extra disc.contacted magnavox for upgrade they mag. do not have model on file.suspect movie disc flawed?anyone having same problem with avatar movie on sony etc.?