Disney: Economy May Slow Blu-ray Adoption

Posted by Mehar Gill on November 13, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Disney, Format War, Retailers

Speaking to the Hollywood Reporter, Disney’s GM of domestic home entertainment claims Blu-ray’s biggest hurdle is indeed the economy.

The economy is the biggest challenge, because there are just so many pieces to the Blu-ray puzzle that consumers face,” said Lori MacPherson, GM of domestic home-entertainment at Disney. “You need the high-definition television set, you need the player, you need the cables, you need the software ….

Disney isn’t alone, Fox, Paramount, and even Sony commented on the economy and Blu-ray,

The economy is hitting everybody,” said Danny Kaye, exec vp research and tech strategy at Fox. “But we still look forward to a great fourth quarter

Paramount’s VP of Marketing Chris Saito had this to say,

I know the economy is tough right now, but the manufacturers are really bringing down the price of their HDTV sets,

Rich Marty from Sony made the following statements,

“We’re all constantly looking at (disc) pricing, What it amounts to is that we’ll wait until after the fourth quarter and see how it goes.”

What are your thoughts? It seems like the industry can’t make up their minds about the economy and it’s impact on the entertainment industry. Every time someone says one thing another steps up to contradict. With Fios and Vudu touting more HD titles than Blu-ray with the convincence factor, could consumers overlook the added benefits of a disc?

1. New Fox and Disney Releases to have Enhanced Interactivity
  2. Blu-ray Momentum Slow According to Research Firm
  3. BDA Launches “Tru Blu” Campagin
  4. Warner Continues To Support Both Formats… For Now?
  5. Disney Goes EULA Crazy On Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray

Comments

16 Responses to “Disney: Economy May Slow Blu-ray Adoption”

1. webdev511 on November 13th, 2008 9:25 am

This just in. Warren Buffet concludes that being in the rain may cause things to become wet.

Now that said, Disney better not back off on the Blu-Ray release of Beauty and the Beast.

2. Dave Cowl on November 13th, 2008 11:31 am

I find putting any disc from my collection into my disc player very convenient.

What is the convenience factor for a download?

3. Mehar Gill on November 13th, 2008 11:33 am

@Dave Cowl

I find clicking a button and having my movie play without leaving the couch convenient :p

4. Dave Cowl on November 13th, 2008 12:05 pm

How long did it take between the decision to watch the movie, to clicking the button to watch it? :P

5. Mehar Gill on November 13th, 2008 12:06 pm

@Dave Cowl – Depends which service you use, it could take a few seconds to minutes :D

6. Dave Cowl on November 13th, 2008 12:07 pm

More seriously though… aside from download time…

Is there any HD service that lets you keep a movie on you hard drive for more than 30 days?

What happens if you can’t watch the whole thing in a 24 hour window?

7. Mehar Gill on November 13th, 2008 12:12 pm

@Dave Cowl -

Off the top of my head IGN’s Direct2Drive lets you keep the movie along with Bit Torrent.

If I recall, if you start the movie you have a 24 hour period to finish watching it from most services.

8. Dave Cowl on November 13th, 2008 12:21 pm

It took me a week to finish watching Spiderman 3.

Not to mention that week was last week and I have had it on my shelf since it was released.

So I guess downloads would require a different paradigm… or user base.

9. Mehar Gill on November 13th, 2008 12:22 pm

@Dave Cowl

Yea I tend to watch movies in chunks as well from time to time, some services have already adopted a more “appealing” model but other services are in a sense falling behind.

10. Mi on November 13th, 2008 12:41 pm

I’ll say it again, claiming that these streaming so called ‘HD’ downloads are competing with blu-ray is just stupid. Different people rent movies than those who buy them and build a library. In a tight economy it is conceivable that people might turn to rentals to some extent so that a moderate title doesn’t set them back $20, but people will ALWYS want to OWN movies.
    If you want to own a movie, Blu-Ray is the best way to do it. Your information and presentation of it is just just plain bad.
    Streaming downloads have NO advantage over blu-ray any more than an alligator has over a tuna fish sandwich.

So WHY do you guys still have the name of ‘formatwarcentral.com’ rather than wethinkdownloadsarecoolandwillspininformationhoweverwehavetotomakeitsoundliketheyarebetterthanphysicalmedia.com?

11. Mehar Gill on November 13th, 2008 1:02 pm
  12. Mehar Gill on November 13th, 2008 1:03 pm

@Mi

You can’t deny other methods of getting HD content aren’t going to affect Blu Ray one way or another.

Each has their own advantages over the other, it’s really a known fact.

13. Tyler Pruitt on November 13th, 2008 2:22 pm

@Mi -

When I care about a movie I buy it on Blu-ray without question…. when I am bored and can’t think of a movie to watch on a Sunday night, I fire up my Apple TV or Vudu to see if I can find something to watch.

Blu-ray and Downloads can coexist peacefully, there is a reason you can’t Buy HD Movies from Apple TV, Vudu, XBLVM, or PSN Video Store…. only rent them.

14. Dave Cowl on November 13th, 2008 3:54 pm

@Mi – I have almost no use for downloads currently. The only HD download service I have used is PSN to get trailers etc on the PS3.

On the other hand I have well over 200 Blu-ray discs and counting…

So you see that the views even amongst site contributors vary considerably.

15. Mi on November 14th, 2008 4:50 pm

Tyler:
    I couldn’t agree more. They are very different products, and the HD streams compete with Blockbuster et al.

Dave:
    Refreshing to hear.

Thanks for the responses.

16. BladeRunner on November 28th, 2008 9:24 am

I find the slow pace of Blu-Ray releases quite infuriating, also the quality is poor on so many. personally I just want the movie in it’s entirety, without edits, in the best quality possible, (no grain), and I’m not interested in extras. I’d also pay extra for a Blu-Ray relaese that had NO ADVERTS on it whatsoever, and no annoying menus.

As soon as it’s easy to copy and edit Blu-rays I’ll be doing it….. not for piracy, (I will buy the Blu-Ray), but that is all I want!! no menus, no adverts, no spiel about how wonderful Blu-Ray is, (Disney is the worst for this), I JUST WANT THE MOVIE in the highest possible quality!!.. put the disc in and it plays the movie..

So to Disney don’t blame the economy, my cash is here now but where is Toy Story 1 & 2? where is Finding Nemo?, To Paramount where is Over The hedge? I can’t buy them until you release them, and before you do please spend the time and extra money on ensuring the transfer is top quality, not on extras & pointless menus… IMO quality is the only point of buying blu-ray over standard DVD’s…….