Blu-ray Reaches 1000 Titles

Posted by Mehar Gill on October 31, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Software, Studios

Despite death calls being heard left and right and digital downloads gaining buzz, Blu-ray has managed to push out it’s 1,000th title this month!

The amount of titles has doubled since March 2008!

It should be noted this number does not mean there are 1000 unique titles on the market, instead there are only 841 currently available with 185 on the way. Which title pushed it over? How about the announcement of Pinocchio for Blu-ray!

More Blu-ray Statistics:

[Via Engadget HD]

1. DTS Master Audio – Titles to Test on Your Playstation 3
  2. Vudu Now Has More Titles Than Blu-ray
  3. Blu-ray Disc Title Count Exceeds HD DVD Again
  4. Disney Announces 4 Blu-ray Titles for 2008
  5. Buy Two Get One Free Deal on Fox/MGM Blu-ray Titles

10 Responses to “Blu-ray Reaches 1000 Titles”

1. webdev511 on October 31st, 2008 7:32 am

1000th title was announced, but isn’t on the shelf yet.

I still don’t know if this ALL titles, just US releases or includes adult titles.

2. Dave Cowl on October 31st, 2008 10:24 am

It is certainly not even all of the US releases.

I imagine it only counts the studio releases.

The database has over 900 titles, and even if you take out the compilation box sets I am sure it comes to more than the number they mention…

3. webdev511 on October 31st, 2008 10:52 am

@Dave Cowl
    Does that include dropping out the titles that have been recalled or out of print? (Botched Fifth Element, Superman Returns w/DD+ sound track)

I have no doubt that 1000 WILL show up on store shelves, just looks more like this info was released to counter act this weeks bad press.

4. xfrgtr on October 31st, 2008 12:15 pm

What bad press?Only good news for the Big Blu

5. Ryan on October 31st, 2008 3:47 pm

1,000 titles, wow that’s pretty good. I was wondering what the number was today actually – I saw Godfather Trilogy out on the shelves @ Best Buy. An awesome release, I’m wondering why I didn’t see any promotion though?

6. Dave Cowl on October 31st, 2008 5:13 pm

There aren’t very many recalls/etc. Fifth E, T3, Led Zep, Omega Man.

Though you are right in that they are still in the list.

I am sure that there are a couple of other titles that never shipped too.

I guess if I had the time I could work out how many truly independent titles have shipped :D

7. Tyler Pruitt on October 31st, 2008 6:05 pm

@Ryan -

You must have missed our Godfather Blu-ray Trilogy giveaway!

8. Ryan on November 1st, 2008 3:10 pm

Yes, I did! Whaaaat?! That’s awesome. How is it I visit the site daily, and post often, but miss the big obvious flashing banner ads? There weren’t any banner ads? That’s probably why I missed it … :)

9. Mehar Gill on November 1st, 2008 3:58 pm

Were you subscribed to the RSS feed? If not that might be the case since some will only exclusively show up there.

If not ————>

10. tvine2000 on November 2nd, 2008 10:53 am

i just think this download thing is a agenda on there part.
    seems to me the studios and ce,s are committed to blu-ray.
    as many have pointed out hd downloads are a long way off and people pushing this agenda know that.
    but hey if they could get a few people to hold off buying bd,why not.
    one big issue they have is getting past people like me that like collecting phyical,media. and downloads take to lond and are not close to dvd pq.

most people that know whats really going will tell you hd downloading with speed and pq thats looks like bd is way down the road.