Playboy Phasing Out DVD, Going All Digital
Playboy has announced plans to phase out their DVD releases in the coming months due to a recent decline in sales.
They are phasing out their DVD production in favor of Digital Distribution. Christine Hefner, the daughter of Playboy founder Hugh Hefner had this to say:
We will continue to deliver more of our content digitally, using our assets across multiple distribution platforms and adding more a la carte offerings. Given the declines in the DVD market, we will exit that business in phases over a few months to concentrate on selling that content online.
Although Blu-ray isn’t specifically mentioned in this report, we assume Playboy probably won’t jump on the train any time soon since this decision was made due to a decline in physical media sales for the company.
- Warner Bros. Ends DVD Business in S. Korea, Focus Turns To Digital Downloads
- Digital Downloads to Overtake Physical Media by 2017?
- Warner’s ’300′ Flexes it’s HD Muscles to the Tune of 250K Sales in the First Week
- HD DVD Software Sales Still Going Strong
- Are The Studios Lowering Blu-ray Sales Predictions?