Toshiba Releases HD DVD Firmware 4.0 Update

Posted by Mehar Gill on September 26, 2008
Filed Under: Format War, HD DVD

Despite pulling support for the format months ago, Toshiba still remains sincere to those who had purchased players during the format war.

A new firmware update was released today for the following models:

• HD-A1
  • HD-XA1
  • HD-D1
  • HD-A35
  • HD-A2
  • HD-A2W
  • HD-A2C
  • HD-D2
  • HD-A20
  • HD-XA2
  • HD-A3
  • HD-D3
  • HD-A30

What does the firmware address? The firmware improves “certain disc playback related issues”. Daniel Lim from Slash Gear reports his experience:

I’m happy to report my A35 with FW4.0 has resolved quirky basic operation like FF and FW halts, and no more jaggies on 1080/24

If you have a HD DVD player around, and update, feel free to let us know of your experience!

Official Press Release

1. Toshiba Releases HD DVD Firmware Update
  2. Toshiba Releases Firmware 3.0 for First Gen HD DVD Players
  3. Toshiba Releases 1080p24 Enabled Firmware for 2nd Gen HD DVD Players
  4. Firmware Update For 2nd Gen HD DVD Players Fixes Dreaded Chroma Bug.
  5. Enable Bitstreaming of Next Gen Audio Codecs In Your Toshiba HD-XA2

37 Responses to “Toshiba Releases HD DVD Firmware 4.0 Update”

1. Ryan on September 27th, 2008 5:03 pm

Nice, Toshiba! I wish you had won the Format War!

2. Merrick97 on September 28th, 2008 1:22 pm

Nice Toshiba! Im glad you didnt win the format war, because I have the choice between different brands of bluray players!!

Thank you for folding.

3. Ryan on September 28th, 2008 4:32 pm

Wouldn’t your choice be something like; get a PS3, or wait until someone invents a superior one that doesn’t cost over $1,000? That’s the way I approached mine, and the way I understood it still was …

4. Merrick97 on September 28th, 2008 5:37 pm

Are you really that retarded?

How many bluray players cost a$1000, right now?

Most are now under $400 and even a few under $300.

Think before you type….

5. Merrick97 on September 28th, 2008 5:39 pm

$253.98 for a Samsung BP1500 2.0 player, too.

Congrats on failing on the $1000 argument.

The HD-DVD players that sold at this price were only 1080i.

Until they lost Warner that is.

6. Mehar Gill on September 28th, 2008 5:49 pm

Keep it clean please, this is a post about HD DVD, with your original comment you were asking for a flame war Merrick.

On a more logical note, I doubt those players are being sold at a profit, why not compare how much is being lost now and then instead of throwing insults back and forth?

7. webdev511 on September 28th, 2008 9:12 pm

First, Thanks to Toshiba for supporting those of us that are still using our HD DVD players.

Second @Merrick97
    How about you tell me how many Profile 2.0 players cost less than the PS3? I’ll give you one, the Sony BDP350, which is nicely priced at just under $300. As far as BD players costing $1000 or more? I counted 5 and only one was profile 2.0.

One of my friends is quite content with his 1080i player. His 50″ LCD deinterlaces 1080i60 to 1080p30 very nicely.

1080p on 50GB BD is just a bridge to 4k on flash, so enjoy it while you can.

8. Ryan on September 29th, 2008 11:36 am

Wow dude, some serious hate coming off those replies.

I was thinking along the lines of ELITE & Denon players, maybe throw in a Marantz model … Just figuring not everyone was into Samsung & Sony. The S350 is nice from Sony, and maybe a few Samsung units are faster now, but still has a few HDMI issues with delays and flashing the picture in and out while it is powering up. I was only pointing out how generally Blu Ray owners are PS3 owners for a reason; it’s still the only logical choice.

Nothing wrong with 1080i, especially depending on which TV you own, some of us just bought our HDTV sets, but others have been rocking them for a while. Also, you should check you individual set to see if it really produces a better picture with 1080p than with 1080i.

9. Ryan on September 29th, 2008 11:39 am

@ Webdev511

Hey does anyone know if we’ll have to buy new BD players when the 400GB discs dome out? How is that going to work?

10. Pete on September 29th, 2008 12:33 pm

The $1000 BD player comment is weak. You pay a premium for those brands you mention. Their DVD players aren’t exactly in the $49 bracket either.

Progressive scan is easier on the eye than interlaced. Many people prefer 720p over 1080i. But I’m sure everyone has a contented, 1080i-owning friend.

400gb discs are overkill from a consumer point of view at this point in time, but serve to demonstrate the future security of the technology.

11. webdev511 on September 29th, 2008 12:58 pm

Anything more than a dual layer blu-ray disc will most likely require a new player.

I personally don’t see the studios doing a revision of Blu-Ray or any other optical format. The next format will be flash of some sort (yes there is a LOT to sort out before then) so the studios can leverage dynamic encryption and watermarking. Encryption will keep honest people honest, watermarks will make it easier for them to track down where their content is being leaked. Studios aren’t going to release 4k (2160p) unless they are damn sure they have complete control over distribution.

12. burndive on September 29th, 2008 2:57 pm

@webdev511 – “Keeping honest people honest” is a pretty odd way of saying “inconveniencing honest people trying to format-shift their media content.”

13. Pete on September 29th, 2008 3:25 pm

@webdev511 – Most likely? Or probably, maybe, definitely, slim chance, etc. Depends how much you know, or how little. None of us really know what will happen or what tech will be required, so from which orifice did you pull that “most likely” from?

14. webdev511 on September 29th, 2008 5:10 pm

@Pete – I’m giving the Blu-Ray manufacturers the benefit of the doubt, after all, how many people thought that HD DVD could add a third layer without new hardware? We know that it’s possible to make a 6 layer blu-ray disc, what we don’t know for sure is how many layers can be added before you need new hardware.

15. Kim Campbell on September 29th, 2008 9:07 pm

@Merrick97 – You are wrong about that – I bought a Toshiba A-30 model for $149.00 and it supports 1080P frame rate 24 and TrueHD sound. My opinion is that Sony did something extraordinary to influence the market in their favor (e.g., they paid some people off to obtain thier support. I have no evidence of this, it’s just a hunch.

16. Ryan on September 29th, 2008 9:33 pm

Yeah I would think adding more layers would require a different player, or at least a new laser technology to switch from each layer as you move along. I had just heard it recently about putting multiple show seasons, or sets onto one single disc, more convenient for me to scratch or misplace that way. I wasn’t meaning it is coming out tomorrow or anything, was just a purely hypothetical question.

17. Pete on September 29th, 2008 11:30 pm

Originally Posted By RyanAs far as the $1,000 players, and paying for a brand, I prefer to think of it as paying for expertise more than anything, for a superior product designed with the end user in mind rather than a price point. It’s a personal decision though.

I agree, and that sums up nicely why Blu-ray a very good choice. The expertise of many manufacturers versus just the one.

18. Leo on September 30th, 2008 4:36 am

How can the $1000 comment & Blu-Ray in general be a winner?

Its a SUB standard format where they released it THEN have CONSTANTLY updated it to the point where if a true lover of Blu-Ray would *have* to trash the original player & AMP and update to the next latest. Profile 2.0, then what next???

At least HD-DVD was a finalised standard that was supported by system updates, be it either Network or Disc.

I bet that only a minimal few do that and can be updated from Profile 1.x to Profile 2.x like that for under $1000!! – where HD-DVD ALLLLL were ready.

Im sorry, but I guess I am a HD-DVD Fanboy….but if my money is going somewhere…..its on system/standard that at least is final and not released incomplete and NON-UPDATABLE.

19. Pete on September 30th, 2008 12:07 pm

Your confusing grammar aside, I’ve heard it all before. For all HD DVD’s supposed greatness it didn’t work out did it? If Blu-ray eventually falls flat on its face then you’ll have the last laugh …. but you’ll still be a sore loser, and that’s not a great best-case scenario for you.

20. Merrick97 on September 30th, 2008 12:43 pm

@Kim Campbell

The $149.99 price points came after HD-DVD was doomed.

My opinion is that Sony sold a better product with better marketting. You can believe all you want that Sony paid off all these companies.

21. ron on September 30th, 2008 6:01 pm

toshiba had the better players and blu ray won.
    Xbox was the better console and the ps2 won.
    better tech usually doesn’t win.
    it all comes down to support.
    sony help blu ray when they paid WB to become BD only.

22. Pete on September 30th, 2008 11:23 pm

@ron – The best player was the PS3.

23. Ryan on October 1st, 2008 4:04 pm

@ Leo

@ Ron

Sorry, but if I’m a HD DVD Fanboy (admitted) and I see the better tech being PS3, you have a tough argument as far as Xbox being better. Aside from that, neither one has ‘Won’ anything. They both have huge supported fanbases.

24. Mehar Gill on October 1st, 2008 4:07 pm

He’s talking about the Xbox and PS2 not the Xbox 360 and PS3, you can argue the better tech thing between the Xbox 360 and PS3 back and forth all day long and in the end the developers are right, (In regards to the Xbox space issues and the PS3 Ram issue)

25. ron on October 1st, 2008 6:58 pm

@ Pete & Ryan

Speaking of the 360 & the PS3, on paper the PS3 looks like the better console but has anyone seen the difference? If the PS3 is the better console, why is the 360 winning? It all comes down to support.

26. ron on October 1st, 2008 7:11 pm

Speaking of the topic, I went to update my A3 and it said the A3 was up to date. My last update was 2.0/1.1. Any ideas why the player did not update to 4.0?

27. Pete on October 2nd, 2008 12:26 am

@ron – No matter which sells more units, both the Xbox 360 and PS3 will be around for some time. This idea that one is “winning” is misleading. I mean, what exactly are they aiming to “win”? Bragging rights?

In terms of games there’s very little difference, but the 360 is now perceptually a lot cheaper than the PS3.

28. Mehar Gill on October 2nd, 2008 5:51 am

What method are you using to update? Online, firmware on a disc, etc

29. Belard on October 2nd, 2008 1:07 pm

If Toshiba was Finalized… then whats with the BIOS Firmware upgrade?

How many times have any of us had to upgrade our VCRs or DVD players?

The players are down to $250 because of lower cost of manufacturing… not sold at a loss like HD-DVD.

30. Mehar Gill on October 2nd, 2008 1:08 pm

You can’t compare a firmware update to a specification revision Belard.

31. ron on October 2nd, 2008 6:45 pm

@Mehar Gill – online

32. Mehar Gill on October 2nd, 2008 6:46 pm

That could be a glitch in there system, trying burning it onto a disc and see what happens, if that doesn’t work contact customer service.

33. ron on October 2nd, 2008 7:03 pm

@Pete – winning (leading the console war in hardware and software sales) I hope both are aiming to win. Winning equals more money. Who doesn’t what to win. The point I was tring to make was better tech usually doesn’t win, its usually the one with more support.

34. ron on October 2nd, 2008 7:20 pm

@Mehar Gill – I removed the old updates and started fresh (not sure why, seamed like a good idea). The first update I downloaded was 2.0/1.1. Then I tried to update again with 4.0/2.0. Went download and the player read, player already updated.

Is the Ps3 still the blu-ray player to buy?
    Is it worth buying an a/v receiver for HD audio, is the sonud that much better?
    Which a/v receiver to buy?

35. wewa on October 3rd, 2008 7:29 am

What an idiot. I hope he wasted $300+ on a PS3 or BD.
    Sony gets the last laugh.

36. Peter Johngren on November 21st, 2008 12:22 pm

I’m amazed that Toshiba is still sending me firmware updates for both my HD-A2 and HD-A3 players on CD for free, this long after the demise of the format. Both of these players are purring along like kittens, doing a fantastic job upscaling standard DVD’s such that I have no motivation to get into Blu-Ray. Since I am into Indie and foreign or generally out-of-the-mainstream movies via Netflix, what would I watch on Blu-Ray anyway. My impression is that nothing upscales standard DVD like these Toshiba HD-DVD players.

37. Crimson-Kaze on January 4th, 2009 1:07 am

Speaking of Blu-Ray, I had a thought about these updates including the Blu-Ray codec (h.264) so that our players won’t go totally to waste.