Blu-ray Prices Stagnant, And It’s All Your Fault

Posted by Mehar Gill on September 23, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Hardware, Retailers, Software

Making some controversial statements, the Blu-ray Disc Association has stated Blu-ray prices will not see a significant price drop any time soon.

The reason? According to the BDA the consumer is to blame! The specific reason being consumers are not buying enough Blu-ray products to warrant one.

“There’s not enough market [volume] to lower the price. Prices will go down but, what people overlook is that you need a marketplace first before you start cutting prices,” said BDA Chairman, Andy Parsons.

“If there’s not enough awareness about [the technology] then low prices are besides the point.”

Editors note: It looks like we will see some small price drops this coming weekend (9/28) Including the BDP-S350 for $299.99 and The Samsung BD-P1500 For the Same.

1. Hey Wal Mart, Your Blu-ray Prices Suck!
  2. Best Buy Sunday Ad 11-16-08 Blu-ray Prices
  3. Best Buy Sunday Ad 11-9-2008 Blu-ray Prices
  4. Samsung: Blu-ray Death Watch, T-Minus 5 Years
  5. BDA Launches “Tru Blu” Campagin

18 Responses to “Blu-ray Prices Stagnant, And It’s All Your Fault”

1. fred smith on September 23rd, 2008 11:35 pm

Arrogant SOBs.
    Proving once again that the WRONG format is sitting on shelves and no one wants to touch it. I had 2 different BDP units, and a Philips, and decided to return them all,
    Inferior technology, price, and quality.
    I hope XD-E500 kicks their A**!

2. Justin Sluss on September 24th, 2008 1:49 am

prices actually are dropping on players — just in time for christmas

3. P Laplante on September 24th, 2008 3:56 am

Prices at the pumps are gouging us just like Blu-ray movies are. Sure it is a premium but it doesn’t have to be that much. All they have to do is look at the $12.99 sales of Blu-ray’s at Costco and see where the price points are.
    People will buy but not at $40.
    I usually pick up the (2 week old) used ones at our local video store, $12/$15, a lot cheaper than Blockbusters’ used ones.
    I think this Christmas will see a lot of player sales only because people are ugrading their TV’s to HiDef and the players will be around $200. Movie sales will increase to show off the new sets. Producers should recoqnize this will occur, but will they lower prices? Doubtful, I see bigger gouging coming.
    It’s all about the bottom line.

4. Ironman195 on September 24th, 2008 5:55 am

You just gotta love a company that puts the blame on the people who support it…

5. DavidB on September 24th, 2008 7:25 am

Sounds to ME like that is BDA’s fault, NOT us consumers!!! Consumers can’t build “awareness”, they have to do so.

6. Andy Parsons on September 24th, 2008 12:53 pm

Whoa there! There has been a significant misunderstanding about what I actually said at the DisplaySearch conference last week, which had nothing to do with “blaming consumers” at all.

I was asked when BD players prices are going to come down (i.e., similar to today’s DVD player prices). I responded that DVD did not start at $49 — player prices were also relatively high in 1997-1998, the first two years of that format’s life. My overall point was that lowering prices by itself does no good without increasing market awareness and demand. Hardware companies take huge financial risks when we lower prices, as we can profitably do this only by committing to much larger production volumes. That only works if the market is growing, which requires marketing and promotional efforts that simply take time to achieve. This is NOT the consumer’s “fault.” It’s the responsibility of format proponents to educate the market.

This was not intended to be a provocative or controversial “statement” at all — just one hardware guy commenting to an industry crownd about the realities of launching a new publishing format, and how it is not an overnight process (as DVD was not). I also mentioned that Amazon – as of last week – had a very well known brand BD player listed at $220, indicating that this shows that prices are in fact coming down quite rapidly.

– Andy Parsons

7. Mi on September 24th, 2008 10:38 pm

Oh for the love of God… I have never seen a BD for sale at $40. If you want to whine because BD’s cost an average of $27 that’s fine, but to complain about ‘paying $40′ because the list price on a small percentage of them is $39 is a bit ridiculous.

And I don’t think he’s ‘blaming the people who are supporting the format’, I think he’s ‘blaming’ the people who aren’t. If BD had a larger market share, then teh prices would begin to drop more quickly. Makes sense.

Andy, thanks for checking in and clarifying, but if you were looking for accurate and non-sensationalist ‘reporting’ you definitely landed in the wrong place.

8. Bigdmelt12 on September 24th, 2008 10:48 pm

what kind of selling point is, “once there are enough consumers we will drop the prices” ….THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING SALES IS TO GET PEOPLE INTERESTED IN YOUR PRODUCT! Making something affordable gets people interested in your product. Its not oh..we will have these people pay full price, now we have enough we can drop the price. Worst marketing scheme ever, I should know, I AM A MARKETING MAJOR AT UF!

9. Pete on September 24th, 2008 11:28 pm

@Bigdmelt12 – Go back to school and do something worthwile. While you’re at it do us all a favour and rip that caps lock off your keyboard – you obviously aren’t able to use it responsibly

10. Tyler Pruitt on September 25th, 2008 6:56 am

@Mehar Gill -

I can confirm it was posed by Andy, the IP is from Pioneer Electronics.

11. Bigdmelt12 on September 25th, 2008 7:50 pm

@ Pete no need for personal attacks on what I plan to do with my life. I was only pointing out some points that were made that made minimal economical sense. If you would like to further attempt a battle of wits and comment about my post, I will gladly continue it outside of this forum. Otherwise, caps lock is used for emphasis, so please read it as I intended it to be read and next time add something relevant to the conversation at hand.

12. Merrick97 on September 25th, 2008 10:03 pm

@Andy Parsons

Yes, its funny how Mehar mentions your comment, but fails to acknowledge that BD players are down to $220.

ONce again, speaking out of his ass without looking at the actual sales of the players AND COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that at this time last year the cheapest 1080i HD-DVD player was $299 everywhere.

Great job Mehar. Not….

13. webdev511 on September 25th, 2008 10:47 pm

@Merrick97 – Really? $299? I guess I should feel bad that I paid $229 for it at circuit city? I should probably go give them their $70 back if they were actually selling for $299.

That said, $200 BD players are good for those that buy them knowing full well that they may or may not support BD-Live.

Word over at EngagetHD is that thanks to a much needed firmware upgrade, the Sony 350 now has BD-Live support (and much faster load times). Does that make the 350 for $299 the least expensive BD-Live player?

14. The Guardian on September 26th, 2008 3:48 am

Prices up here in Canada are actually nice right now. I have seen the -350 and the -1500 for $299 even in my local grocery store of all places, and the movie prices have mostly gotten reasonable. I have not paid more than $26 for a BD for quite a while now.

15. Pete on September 26th, 2008 4:38 am

@Bigdmelt12 – Use bold or italics for emphasis, caps is just shouting.

My apologies if my comments were hurtful to you. That said, however, if you’re going to put yourself out there, you should prepare yourself to receive some unwelcome critique.

Perhaps you could better articulate your point so the laymen here can better understand it. Not all of us here are as finely educated in these matters as yourself. Please read Andy Parson’s post first though, it’s the most sensible thing I’ve read on this site for sometime.

16. Mehar Gill on September 26th, 2008 6:01 am

Firstly, I wrote this story days before the price drop had happened it was only published recently. Secondly, once a story is published I have no control over it, I can’t edit it in any way.

17. merrick97 on September 26th, 2008 11:08 am

@Mehar Gill

Fair enough

18. Mehar Gill on September 26th, 2008 1:09 pm

Wait a minute, you should know that ;-)

No worries