DVD Forum Steering Committee Meeting Details Revealed
The DVD Forum had their 43rd steering committee meeting today, here’s what they had to say (Summarized):
- DVD specifications for DVD-DL part 2 and DVD Specifications for Dual Layer DVD-DL part 2 version 1.9 approved.
- DVD Specifications for Read Only HD DVD-ROM 51GB Part 2 File System Specifications Version 2.0 approved.
- DVD Specifications for DVD-DL Part 1 Version 1.0 and DVD Specifications for Dual Layer DVD DL Part 1 Version 2.0 approved.
- Approval of ALMEDIO verification lab for Class A DVD verification
- VPC Membership given to ALMEDIO
- Consolidation and streamlining of the DVD Forum, with FDSG to propose final details to be voted upon at the November 2008 Steering Committee meeting and to become effective in February 2009. Consolidation will include:
-Suspension of the present FLAG and PCC, subject to reactivation by SC if it becomes necessary. FDSG will consult with FLAG and PCC Chairs regarding the implementation of such a change.
-Consolidation of TCG and VPC into a reorganized TCG. FDSG will consult with TCG and VPC Chairs about the implementation and process of such a change.
-Reduction in number of SC meetings to twice a year, with additional meetings scheduled if necessary.
FDSG to monitor and review the results of the consolidation and changes, and report to SC by September 2009.
The biggest shockers in the bunch are the reduction of the amount of Steering Committee Meetings down to 2 per year. However the forum states if deemed mandatory more meetings can be scheduled at the discretion of the committee. The 51GB HD DVD disc was also updated, this strikes us has odd although we really can’t comment until the specifications are looked into. Our source at the DVD Forum told us the HD DVD updates after February’s announcement were simply for CBHD, however CBHD updates are labelled C-HD DVD to differentiate themselves from the HD DVD specifications. We considered his comments a “failure to communicate”, which leaves us to speculate on the future of HD DVD.
Just like last time, expect a dissection of the guidelines soon.