DVD Forum Steering Committee Meeting Details Revealed

Posted by Mehar Gill on September 17, 2008
Filed Under: Format War, HD DVD

The DVD Forum had their 43rd steering committee meeting today, here’s what they had to say (Summarized):

1. DVD specifications for DVD-DL part 2 and DVD Specifications for Dual Layer DVD-DL part 2 version 1.9 approved.
  2. DVD Specifications for Read Only HD DVD-ROM 51GB Part 2 File System Specifications Version 2.0 approved.
  3. DVD Specifications for DVD-DL Part 1 Version 1.0 and DVD Specifications for Dual Layer DVD DL Part 1 Version 2.0 approved.
  4. Approval of ALMEDIO verification lab for Class A DVD verification
  5. VPC Membership given to ALMEDIO
  6. Consolidation and streamlining of the DVD Forum, with FDSG to propose final details to be voted upon at the November 2008 Steering Committee meeting and to become effective in February 2009. Consolidation will include:
    -Suspension of the present FLAG and PCC, subject to reactivation by SC if it becomes necessary. FDSG will consult with FLAG and PCC Chairs regarding the implementation of such a change.
    -Consolidation of TCG and VPC into a reorganized TCG. FDSG will consult with TCG and VPC Chairs about the implementation and process of such a change.
    -Reduction in number of SC meetings to twice a year, with additional meetings scheduled if necessary.
    FDSG to monitor and review the results of the consolidation and changes, and report to SC by September 2009.

The biggest shockers in the bunch are the reduction of the amount of Steering Committee Meetings down to 2 per year. However the forum states if deemed mandatory more meetings can be scheduled at the discretion of the committee. The 51GB HD DVD disc was also updated, this strikes us has odd although we really can’t comment until the specifications are looked into. Our source at the DVD Forum told us the HD DVD updates after February’s announcement were simply for CBHD, however CBHD updates are labelled C-HD DVD to differentiate themselves from the HD DVD specifications. We considered his comments a “failure to communicate”, which leaves us to speculate on the future of HD DVD.

Just like last time, expect a dissection of the guidelines soon.

Official Release

1. CH DVD Details Revealed, Warner On Board?
  2. DVD DL Facts Revealed
  3. Details of ‘Star Trek: The Original Series’ Remastered On HD DVD
  4. Microsoft’s Kevin Collins Responds to Paramount Payoff Rumors
  5. DVD-Download Licensing Begins

Comments

31 Responses to “DVD Forum Steering Committee Meeting Details Revealed”

1. webdev511 on September 17th, 2008 9:15 pm

Triple Layer 51 GB HD DVD?

2. Dave Cowl on September 17th, 2008 10:30 pm

Really, these days a DL Blu-ray has got to be cheaper than a TL51 HD DVD to make.

I also seriously wonder just how much the Chinese are willing to spend in order to save a few dollars on royalties.

The whole thing seems like a false economy to me.

3. Mehar Gill on September 18th, 2008 6:07 am

@Dave Cowl – Toshiba didn’t release any figures in regards to price with the 51GB disc. Also, the 51GB disc won’t be used in China, at least for now, they will only use the 15 and 30GB discs.

4. webdev511 on September 18th, 2008 7:26 am

@Dave Cowl – It’s Cheaper to install a completely new production line for BD-50 than update an existing DVD line to TL 51?

To be perfectly honest, we don’t know how much either one costs, but I’ve got to believe that whole new lines will cost more.

5. Mehar Gill on September 18th, 2008 8:17 am

@webdev511 – I believe the BD figures are already out their and to a certain extent the HD DVD numbers as well. Just has BD disks will go down in price so will HD DVD discs, if or when someone decideds to use HD DVD they would cost much less then what they do now.

6. Dave Cowl on September 18th, 2008 9:55 am

The HD DVD price would go down in price if they were being made in mass production. They are not – there is no reason for the price to decrease for HD DVD.

There is a lot we don’t know about TL51 – since it adds another layer, we don’t know if it remains the same ‘easy switch’ to existing DVD lines or if it will require something more complex.

Your question about cost of a new line obviously hinges on that.

Numbers I was fed during ‘the war’ from trusted source indicated that the combo discs cost more than BD DLs at the time. It would not surprise me at all to find that TL51 are also.

But the key is that BD50 is mass produced and increasingly so. TL51 has no future in the western world, so the costs of development of the machines and processes will fall to those that use them – a much smaller base.

I know there are a lot of Chinese people… but I still question if it is better to do your own thing and foot the whole bill, rather than leverage what the rest of the world is doing at the cost of a royalty fee.

7. Mehar Gill on September 18th, 2008 5:54 pm

If HD DVD makes any sort of come back I HIGHLY doubt it will be with the movie business, remember a few months before the format conflict ended Samsung went on record and told Toshiba HD DVD would be a really good storage medium if it loses? What if Toshiba is collaborating with companies to turn HD DVD into a storage medium? It dosen’t have to be in North America/Europe, it could be a country exclusive thing like CBHD.

8. Jonsson on September 18th, 2008 11:46 pm

A storage medium exclusive to a country where you could not use your data if you take a disk elsewhere.

Well the commies have always liked to close their borders but that sounds pretty ridicolous to me.

9. Mehar Gill on September 19th, 2008 6:02 am

@Jonsson

What can I say, some countries love their privacy, take China, Cuba, and most parts of the continent of Europe for example.

10. Jonsson on September 19th, 2008 7:46 am

@Mehar Gill

China and Cuba, yes, they are commie countries. But most parts of Europe ??? I do not think you really know what you’re talking about! What have given you that idea?

11. Dave Cowl on September 19th, 2008 9:40 am

HD DVD is not really good for a storage medium when you have access to BD.

HD DVD completely failed in the writable disc side, and has less capacity than BD for press discs (though TL51 would make them equivalent obviously).

The only thing that makes sense perhaps is for the ‘piracy’ countries like China to have their own format to make it harder for their product to infect the world.

When BD was introduced they made it clear that there would never be any ‘unlicensed’ equipment for manufacture, anywhere.

Not such a good answer for a country that does not want to recognise international copyright and intellectual property rights…

12. Mehar Gill on September 19th, 2008 1:19 pm

@Jonsson – haha, well a few years ago some European nations decided to give up on some western products and switch to other alternatives like Linux because it was customizable to their needs hence being exclusive. I’m not sure if they plans were ever carried out but a example is a example.

Oh also India, Nepal, and I believe Indonesia use HD VMD for their movies.

13. Felix on September 19th, 2008 8:43 pm

I am indonesian, and no, there is no HD VMD.
    Blu-ray dominates the market, only 2 HD DVD titles available, no HD VMD.
    If you ask the shopkeeper about HD VMD, they would be confused.

Leaving indonesia soon…

14. Jonsson on September 19th, 2008 11:40 pm

@Mehar Gill

So wanting to not use Microsoft but Linux instead is being exclusive. Well then a lot of the US is exclusive.

Your talking pure uneducated BS Mehar. Try to get some facts behind your smack before you go off and insult most of a continent as well as spreding false information.

15. Mehar Gill on September 20th, 2008 8:08 am

@Felix

Alright so I was wrong about Indonesia, but I am positive about the other two.

@Jonsson -

No need to be so defensive, that was just one example of a place in Europe considering doing something that was only done in countries like Cuba (Since they also switched to Linux for the same reason). If you want news stories to back up this claim I could try and find them for you, would that help?

16. Mehar Gill on September 20th, 2008 8:13 am

Here’s one, I am trying to find one that is more recent because a few places said similar things after the recent Microsoft/EU thing.

17. Jonsson on September 20th, 2008 11:55 pm

So choosing Linux over Microsoft makes you put Germany in the same category as communist China and Cuba.

That’s the most idiotic thing I ever heard. Grow up Mehar. Your an ignorant kid that have no clue what you’re talking about but worse than that., you are insulting millions and millions of people.

You’re wrong about most things you say Mehar.

18. Mehar Gill on September 21st, 2008 8:02 am

@Jonsson

Wait a minute, in the original reply I talked about privacy, you asked for a example and I gave you one, albeit it wasn’t the best example to help my case it was a example none the less. You then go ahead and call me a liar saying I some how insulted a entire nation based on something that had happened. I then to show you I did not lie about that example provide you with evidence to support my sub par example and you some how manage to twist my words around.

I think it’s you who should grow up.

19. Jonsson on September 21st, 2008 11:04 am

Mehar, you decided to put Europe in the same catagory as China and Cuba. Your “example” was pure BS.

Guess it is difficult to be a kid Mehar but don not worry Mehar. Guess you will grow up soner or later. In your case probably later.

20. Mehar Gill on September 21st, 2008 11:19 am

@Jonsson

FIrstly, I did not say all of Europe, I said parts of Europe. I already admited it wasn’t the best example to give. I explained my situation to you in my previous post and the best you had were personal attacks aimed at me.

Your calling me ignorant? Their’s more to China and Cuba then just communism, me putting countries in the same “category” like you say could have more to do with other factors then their political motives. I don’t blame you though…or do I?

21. Jonsson on September 21st, 2008 11:30 am

Maybe you need to refresh your memory Mehar, You said MOST of Europe.

You then gave an example involving Gernamy which is as far from communist countries like China and Cuba as you can get.

The simple fact Mehar, is that you have no clue what you are talking about. What you ust said was just as bad as saying that US would be a country similar to Iran and Iraq.

A good chunk of Europe have suffered the ordeals of comunism and we really do noy need these kind of ignorant comparisons and BS talk.

22. Mehar Gill on September 21st, 2008 11:41 am

@Jonsson

It seems like you don’t even read any of my replys, I only gave the example of the news story about Germany to discredit your claim that my claim was “bullshit”, it has nothing to do with Germany itself. I already told you the example was bad (in proving a “link” has you say”) you then called me a liar saying that was bullshit and such a thing didn’t happen. To retaliate I provided you with evidence and you provided nothing but personal attacks.

Trust me, we (Being my people) suffered as well, not just from Communism but from Democracy and the cold war in general.

23. Jonsson on September 21st, 2008 12:20 pm

You do not get it Mehar. Your examples did not prove your point in any way. You are so far off that it is unbelievable. Your claim was BS and your examples, altough perfectly true, did not prove your claim in any way.

I never said “such a thing didn’t happen”. You simply do not get it. The articles you supplied do not support your twisted idea of a nation being exclusive or similar to communist China and Cuba.

And do not tell me any of this BS how you suffered. How many of your friends where rbought in by the communist state police for questioning?

You’re a ignorant BS’ing brat that have no bloody clue what you are talking about !!!!

24. Mehar Gill on September 21st, 2008 12:33 pm

Ive been telling you the exact same thing for the longest time, I only defended the example, I have stated on various occasions that the example given didn’t help my case but you for some odd reason are unable to comprehend that. I don’t understand, what more do you want me to say?

Just questioning? Your luckily thats all you had to face, I really can’t begin to describe what was done and what is still being done in India today because of a inept government and people who are too ignorant to realize what is happening.

It seems all your capable of is personal attacks,

25. Jonsson on September 21st, 2008 12:50 pm

Thank you Mehar, you have just proven three things,

1) You do not know what you are talking about
    2) You can not admit that you are wrong
    3) You are a spoiled brat with a computer.

Your sorry excuses and BS about India (where you have never been) is just soooo ridicolous. The bottom line is that you talked BS about MOST of Europe and you have NOTHING to back up that BS.

You talk about personal attacks. Well I guess I am not in your league just yet. After all you attack an entire continent in one go. If I were of your caliber I would go for the entire United States of Americe in one strike. But you see, altough I do not live in the states I do like that nation and I have to much respect for the people living there. At least some of them…

26. Mehar Gill on September 21st, 2008 1:00 pm

@Jonsson – Ok this is getting ridiculous now, I don’t know where your getting any of your facts from about this conversation. You have no concept about the world around.

Maybe the Soviet school system was so much more advanced then present day Canada’s, I had previously not stated Europe is communist, you only inferred it for some unknown reason.

Seriously? I have never been to my mother land before? Well it seems like you know me better then I know my self! I talked about the European boycott of Windows and Mac in some countries, I gave you proof, feel free to check the BBC’s archive since their are more examples of it being mentioned if you want.

Again I did nothing of the sort, you only inferred such things through some demented scheme you know of.

I’M NOT EVEN AMERICAN!!!!!

27. Jonsson on September 21st, 2008 10:38 pm

Mehar, your proof means nothing since you do not get the main issue.

You compared MOST of Europe to Cuba and China. That is an insult to Europeans and a LIE.

As “proof” you state that European governments are favoring Linux over Windows. That’s ridicolous and just since you do not seem to understand what I’m telling you, I do not doubt that some government institutes favor Linux over Microsoft, I react over your ridicolous comments that this would make them exclusive and comparable to Cuba and China. That is pure ignorant BS.

28. Mehar Gill on September 22nd, 2008 5:51 am
  29. Mehar Gill on September 22nd, 2008 5:56 am

@Jonsson

Hunh that was weired, any way you have backed yourself into a corner, you are just spewing bull now. Feel free to go back and read up, I have never called them Communist and I have never compared them. I only used them in the same post,you being ignorant has you are assumed I was calling them Communist. You haven’t contributed anything new to the discussion other then your conspiracy theory’s and economic stereotypes.

This is really turning out to be a waste of my time, in the past 48 hours you have shown your true colors. This discussion is over.

30. Tyler Pruitt on September 22nd, 2008 3:01 pm

Lets stay on topic guys, if you want to flame each other do it via email. You can find our email address in the sidebar.

31. ProoraCor on August 14th, 2009 1:28 am

What’s up, is there anybody else here?
    If there are any real people here looking to network, leave me a post.
    Oh, and yes I’m a real person LOL.

Peace,