Free Star Trek:TOS Season One HD DVD, Kinda

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on September 10, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Costco, Format War, HD DVD, Paramount, Software

A little back story before we get to the good stuff: The Star Trek:TOS Season 2 HD DVD never saw the light of day thanks to Toshiba pulling the plug on the HD DVD Authoring/Encoding. To refresh your memory, this was part of the deal they made with Paramount in order to get them to drop Blu-ray a little over a year ago (along with other incentives).

Fast forward, a few weeks ago Star Trek:TOS Season 2 (remastered edition) debuted on DVD, in the same style packaging as the previous HD DVD/DVD combo version of Season 1. The cool part is our local Costco has both season 1 & 2  on sale for the same price ($57.99 each), which is like buying the DVD version and getting the HD DVD for free. A thing to remember, the HD DVD of season 1 was selling at Best buy for $179.99 at one point!

Have they showed up at your local Costco?

1. Details of ‘Star Trek: The Original Series’ Remastered On HD DVD
  2. Video: Star Trek:TOS Video Tour
  3. Sony BDP-BX2 Blu-ray Player is Coming to a Costco Near You
  4. Blu-ray IMAX Movies $11.99 at Costco
  5. Get ‘Em While Their Hot

6 Responses to “Free Star Trek:TOS Season One HD DVD, Kinda”

1. webdev511 on September 10th, 2008 7:00 am

They should have just finished the HD DVD transfer for S2 and let it be a going away present as I doubt the contract was likely to include permission to release the hi-def encode on blu.

2. MikeT on September 10th, 2008 1:34 pm

Well – I already have season one (purchased for $99.99) on HD-DVD, and will not be buying Season 2 or 3 unless they are released on Hi-Def – Blu-Ray is fine. Come on Paramount, get with the program.

3. Mehar Gill on September 10th, 2008 1:58 pm

The HD DVD was still 4:3 so I really don’t mind much, it’s still remastered which is good enough for me.

4. Ryan on September 10th, 2008 2:07 pm

Yeah would have been a nice going away present; I still haven’t checked out season 1 though – so I have no room to talk.

5. Belard on September 11th, 2008 1:31 am

4:3 ratio has nothing to do with HD, we’ve already gone over this. You cannot make a 4:3 into a 16:9. It’s still a “HD” image because it (should be) 1080 lines.

In Dallas Costco, yes – they have these discs. I’m not thrilled with the the idea of double-sided disc thou. I’d prefer my labels.

But Samsung has announced that Blu-Ray will start to die in 5 years, won’t survive 10 for sure.

That’s okay… the studios love selling VHS > DVD > Blu-Ray > SolidState Flash ;)

6. Justin Sluss on September 11th, 2008 5:15 am