Samsung: Blu-ray Death Watch, T-Minus 5 Years

Posted by Mehar Gill on September 4, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, PS3, Retailers, Studios

Pocket Link reports that Samsung has stated Blu-ray will only last for 5 year’s before being replaced by another format. Andy Griffiths of Samsung UK had this to say:

“I think it [Blu-ray] has 5 years left, I certainly wouldn’t give it 10″

Trying to essentially save himself he added [Commenting on Blu-ray in 08]:

“It’s going to be huge”, he told Pocket-lint. “We are heavily back-ordered at the moment.”

Samsung is instead putting faith of companies future in OLED technology, they claim the new technology is “read to rock” but is being held back due to costs. Griffith’s then went on to say OLED technology may make it’s debut in 2010.

1. HDGURU Reviews New Samsung BD-P1200
  2. New Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-ray Player?
  3. Samsung’s 2nd Gen Blu-ray Player Passes Simplay HD(TM) Testing
  4. Yet Another Doom Article about Blu-ray Disc
  5. Netflix, Pandora Added To Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-ray Player

8 Responses to “Samsung: Blu-ray Death Watch, T-Minus 5 Years”

1. Roberta on September 4th, 2008 9:19 am

I can certainly hope that it won’t take 5 years to kill off the bastard child of true hi-def. Film is being archived at 4k resolution, so there’s no reason to accept anything less than that. With 4 times the resolution of bluray, 4k is the only way to go.

Bluray is to 4k as mp3 is to uncompressed sound, i.e., a poor substitute.

Just say “No!”

2. Jonsson on September 4th, 2008 11:34 am

The comment of Roberta was just as ridicolous as the one from Samsung. Roberta’s comment is totally devoid of any sense of reality and, hopefully, so is the one from that idiot at Samsung.

Should we also say that a Chevy is a poor substitute for a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari so just say no? Yeah right. Laughable to say the least.

Now,as for the stupid comment from Samsun, that’s a good way of killing of BD or any other format. Who the bloody hell would invest in a format if their disk collection will be obsolete in 5 years time.

The idiot from Samsung should be shot. I guess he was never a fan of BD so now he’s making his best effort to sabotage the market!

3. Mehar Gill on September 4th, 2008 11:36 am

This prediction is nothing new, even analysts predict such a thing happening. A circular disk is really inefficient when reading, a flash type system is much more efficient which is why companies are working on them.

4. Dave Cowl on September 4th, 2008 12:46 pm

TBH I think that the CEs and studios will find resistance in trying to launch yet another new format within such a short time frame.

For disc to be dead in 5, you will need to have the alternate in place in just a couple of years.

I don’t see that flying at all.

On the other hand, 4k stuff is emerging and I can see that being some incentive for a new format, or perhaps an extension of the current.

I agree that the next big format will likely be solid state. I do not agree with the 5 year time frame…

5. Mehar Gill on September 4th, 2008 12:48 pm

@Dave Cowl

How big would a 4K movie be? Are their even codecs that can handle 4k compression right now?

Just for some perspective, on a 50GB disc how big is a uncompressed feature film?

6. Dave Cowl on September 4th, 2008 3:09 pm

4k is 4x the data of Full HD roughly.

Of course, codecs like AVC are not bound to a resolution and can be used for 4k.

At CES we saw 4k AVC at 25 Mbps – something a Blu-ray disc could handle with no trouble.

Ideally I think we would like to see 40-50 Mbps used, so that is the high side for Blu-ray at current read speeds.

Of course, a few tweaks like a 100GB disc and 4x read speed would cure all that with backwards compatibility.

7. Mehar Gill on September 4th, 2008 3:19 pm

@Dave Cowl

Explain this backwards compatibility to me please, does it mean I can take a 100GB disc and play the full 100GB of data on any player or only the first 2 layers? I find it hard to believe the first is possible.

8. The Guardian on September 7th, 2008 9:15 am

All the companies have said so far that 100GB discs would work on existing drives. We have no proof beyond that at this point as far as I’ve read.

I think he meant backwards-compatability with “gen1″ BDs though. Since the current drives would NOT support a 4x read speed (which would allow for around 130 Mbps).