Will The Dark Knight be Blu-ray’s First 1 Million Seller?

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on August 29, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Software, Studios, Warner

We are predicting that Warner’s “The Dark Knight” will be the first Blu-ray title to sell 1 Million copies. To some this is seen as a milestone that signifies a format’s tipping point to mass market adoption.

The first DVD title to achieve this feat was “The Matrix”, which was released on DVD 9-21-1999. According to Nielsen Videoscan, “The Matrix” sold 780,000 copies the first week.

We really hope movies like “The Dark Knight” and “Ironman” fuel the Blu-ray fire for the holiday shopping season. We just hope the hardware guys pitch in and work on lowering player prices.

1. Amazon Juggernaut: The Dark Knight Blu-ray
  2. Blu-ray Version Captures 38% of The Dark Knight sales on Amazon
  3. The Dark Knight Blu-ray is the Second Hottest Selling DVD On Amazon
  4. Dark City Blu-ray $10.99
  5. Best Buy Sunday Ad October 12th 2008

6 Responses to “Will The Dark Knight be Blu-ray’s First 1 Million Seller?”

1. Blake on August 29th, 2008 7:36 am

If the release of this movie accompanies some relatively significant hardware price cuts, I will definitely take the plunge. This movie could easily push me Blu (I’m still holding on to my HD DVD past…), but only if I can get a decent player at a decent price.

2. webdev511 on August 29th, 2008 8:38 am

I hope waner doesn’t botch the production. It would really bite if they skimped on the extras and interactivity.

3. Ryan on August 29th, 2008 7:14 pm

@ Blake

Decent player @ a decent price? Sounds like you need a PS3, buddy. I’m still relishing my past as well : ) I’m still hoping Universal throws us a bone with FF4 on HD DVD … I can dream.

4. Justin Sluss on August 30th, 2008 7:58 am

I wouldn’t doubt it breaking the 1 million marker in sales on Blu-ray when it arrives this December, just in time for Christmas!

5. The Guardian on August 30th, 2008 8:27 am

Is there a list somewhere of total sales currently? I imagine ones like Casino Royale and 300 are getting up there just from consistent weekly sales.

Wouldn’t surprise me for Dark Knight to be the first though. Except perhaps an outside shot of Iron Man beating it?

6. Blake on September 2nd, 2008 8:59 am

The PS3 is a good player, yes, but I want a dedicated player, somewhere in the $200 range. Surely there will be some Black Friday or Christmas specials where I can pick one up for that.