Channel 4 Announces Future HD DVD Releases?

Posted by Mehar Gill on August 7, 2008
Filed Under: Amazon, Format War, HD DVD, Retailers, Studios

We have received word from our longtime commenter Bigmelt and his friends from the bomb shelter that UK corporation “Channel 4″ is planning on releasing new HD DVD titles. The following letter was sent to a member of the bomb shelter:

Dear Mr *****,

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries.

We apologize about the previous information given regarding
TRAINSPOTTING and SHALLOW GRAVE.  We can advise that they will be release on HD DVD in the autumn of this year; TRAINSPOTTING is currently available to pre order in that format from Amazon.co.uk

Channel 4 is not responsible for third-party websites.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us here at Channel 4 and for
your interest in our programming.

Regards,

Sally Smith
Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

Could this be the first of many?

Trainspotting

Shallow Grave is currently not listed on Amazon’s site, no news on specs either.

1. When We Left Earth, The NASA Missions with Free Discs at Discovery Channel Store
  2. Disney Announces 4 Blu-ray Titles for 2008
  3. The Future Of Interactivity: Part Deux
  4. MGM Announces a New Blu-ray Title for September
  5. Sony Announces $399 40GB PS3 for the US Market

Comments

15 Responses to “Channel 4 Announces Future HD DVD Releases?”

1. Tim on August 7th, 2008 7:02 am

I was an avid supporter of the HD DVD format and still am to a certain extent, even though I have officially gone Blu. I’m sure I am not alone when I say that if quality titles were released on HD DVD overseas I would be willing to import them, assuming they are MIA on Blu-Ray.

2. Roberta on August 7th, 2008 7:52 am

Kill HD-DVD (already dead) and Blu-Ray (deserves to be dead) and bring on 4k!!!

3. Beta-guy on August 7th, 2008 8:12 am

that does it I want to talk to whoever that it was that still thinks it’s a good idea to release on HD DVD…

4. webdev511 on August 7th, 2008 8:25 am

@Beta-guy
    Talk to the marketing and finance guys because they must have run the numbers. I mean really, who would do a pressing if they weren’t going to break even?

That said, if the price is right, I might just pick up a copy :)

5. bigdmelt on August 7th, 2008 9:45 am

Alright my article made it up!. Yeah they are supposed to be releasing shallow grave also, but im not sure when that will go up. Its worth an import, its supposedly a really good movie

6. JimC on August 7th, 2008 9:51 am

My guess is that these were already in the works prior to HDDVD going teets up and they have committed to releasing them???

7. Bigdmelt12 on August 7th, 2008 9:53 am

Probably true, we have been emailing as a group over at the bomb shelter attempting to have them release these because they were already planned for release. We as a group I think gave them enough. oh i guess you could say gusto, to re-release them to the public. If you like these kind of ideas and are an hd dvd supporter, head over to the bomb shelter, the link is in the article!

8. DavidB on August 7th, 2008 11:53 am

Come on bomb shelter guys, LET IT GO!

9. Mehar Gill on August 7th, 2008 11:54 am

@DavidB

The purpose of the bomb shelter is to not let go :)

10. Bigdmelt12 on August 7th, 2008 1:20 pm

yeah, its not like we are hanging on hoping a comeback or anything. Just a group that thinks its cool that 2000 people can convince a company to release hd dvd. We have all realized blu ray has won…its not a format war anymore, but stuff like that is just cool. Sorry you dont agree

and if this is the David B from amazon, im not surprised you hate TBS

11. James Segars on August 7th, 2008 7:34 pm

@Roberta – While I’m all about using 4k masters for upcoming BD’s, we’re still “struggling” to convince people that it’s necessary to drop their 480i SD CRT’s for 1080p Plasma/LCD TV’s.

It will be many years before 4k becomes an affordable/mainstream tech like the HDTV’s of today.

I know 4k is inevitable, but it’s like you saying “bring on HDTV” back in 1991 — its just too soon. At the same time though, all of this hinges on Blu-ray reaching mass adoption. If not, we might actually be seeing native 4k displays/media sooner than expected.

However, one point of contention I can see the studios having with native 4k releases is the real threat of pirated “master” copies of their films getting out, and people re-editing the films at their discretion. Think about it. If 4k is archival master quality (ie. the backups sitting in the studio vault) then any one could feasibly rip the film and have their very own film master — something the studios would die to protect. It would open up a world of possibilities — and increased quality — to fan edits, but it would surely take away from the studios profits, and the filmmaker’s original vision and credibility.

12. merrick97 on August 8th, 2008 2:21 pm

@James Segars

I like this line of reasoning. Well thought out comment James.

Id just like to see someone make a story now about Iron Man being officially announced.

Ya know something related to bluray…

13. drew on August 8th, 2008 4:14 pm

@Roberta
    With capicity in the hundreds of gigabytes 4K on a bd media doable, from a processing standpoint there really is no way to bring this to a consumer at at reasonble cost now.

14. Felix on August 9th, 2008 6:41 am

weird. considering the UK (British English) (and also myself) uses “apologise” instead of american spelling “apologize”. I am true blue from the beginning, but lifted my own ban to HD DVD since the demise of HD DVD (since there is no need to fight HD DVD anymore), my HD DVD collection rose from 2 to 6. (While my BD stands at 92)

15. Dave on August 18th, 2008 11:48 am

I have been communicating extensively with Channel 4 regarding HD DVD releases for a while now.
    This is their latest email to me:

“Dear Dave,

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries.

I can confirm that these films are planned to be released on HD DVD.

However we have no information in regards to a release date at present.

Regards,
    Stan Quaid
    Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

For information about Channel 4 have a look at our FAQ section at http://www.channel4.com/help

Reply | http://www.channel4.com\/help \"\r\n\r\nCertainly looks increasingly optimistic that we will now see more HD DVD releases courtesy of 4dvd.’); return false;”>Quote