Rage Likely to be Distributed on Blu-ray Disc for PC

Posted by Dave Cowl on July 31, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Mac, PC, PS3, Xbox 360

There is an interesting article today regarding the game Rage from game developer id.

While the article mostly talks about how the game will not look as good on the XBox 360 due to the limited storage capacity on the console’s DVD format, it goes on to say that not only will the PS3 version ship on a single Blu-ray Disc but that the PC and Mac versions are likely to ship on Blu-ray in addition to the DVD versions.

This is certainly the first PC game (or any software for that matter) that I have heard of aiming to take advantage of the larger capacity of Blu-ray Disc – though the move is not entirely unexpected and no doubt other software suppliers will follow suite as Blu-ray drives become more numerous amongst PC users.

1. Sony Drops Price of PS3 Back to $499

38 Responses to “Rage Likely to be Distributed on Blu-ray Disc for PC”

1. Beta-guy on July 31st, 2008 9:37 pm

I’m glad about 2 things here, 1. Blu-ray games for the PC, and 2. this will not Punish PS3 users for having the better system (through lowest common denominator) instead it’ll send a message to Microsoft upgrade the gaming console or be prepared to have sub par games. TBH I think calling the 360 a ‘next gen’ console is joke, it’s using the same discs as the old gen consoles.

2. Dave Cowl on July 31st, 2008 9:43 pm

I agree that the XBox 360 showed a lack of foresight – the original systems didn’t even have HDMI.

It will be interesting to see how long the 360 remains as the MS flag ship, and what the next generation will feature… maybe it will have super upscaling! ;)

3. Lars on July 31st, 2008 10:44 pm

wow… almost every day I can read statements from sony fanboys that make me go “wow”… first of all, you claim the PS3 to be superior without mentioning the facts. and after that you say MS has to upgrade the 360 because ONE publisher is unable to make full use of the 360s potential.

where were you when all those buggy, ugly ports for the PS3 were being sold, when all the magazines attested the same gamaing experience and quality for multi-console-titles of last year (some of them even looking better on the 360 through better textures for example).

it’s the same thing with bad ports for the PS3: it’s the developer that f’ed up, not the console, not MS or Sony. I own both consoles and from what I’ve seen, both can deliver top-titles that match in visuals and in gameplay.

4. Beta-guy on July 31st, 2008 10:59 pm

Wrong, The Cell Processor and the Blu-ray Drive does make the PS3 superior to the 360, the only thing that the 360 has that might beat the PS3 in is the graphics chip.

you mentioned that the publisher isn’t making full use of the 360, problem is they are, unless you are willing to have the 360 with 3 – 6 discs per game (I hope you like disc swapping)

ports will not look as good as it does on the system it was designed for, ultimately they work to get it ready for 1 system then try to make it work on the other console(s) if the 360 had a built in Blu-ray or even HD DVD drive, games like GTA4 could have been far more detailed, allowing you to enter far more buildings, do more things, longer story etc… instead it’s just a DVD, and the PS3 version gets a port of the 360 version, not making full use of what the PS3 can do.

unfortunately PS3 users have been punished for having the better system, because the publishers don’t want to develop a game twice.

5. Lars on July 31st, 2008 11:28 pm

just because of hardware-facts, I just wouldn’t call the PS3 superior. The Bluray-drive only brings megabytes, nothing more. It’s even slower transfer rates than the 12x DVD-drive of the 360… and please don’t start on the noise of the 360 ;)

The Cell has been proven to be not be so superior many many times now. So until I see some game that looks noticeably better than the 360 because, and ONYL because of Cell, than I will change my opinion and acknowledge that the Cell matters.

And yes, I’m actually fine with DVD swapping. I’m playing Lost Odyssey right now, which comes on 4 Discs and I played Blue Dragon which comes on 3. Since you only have to swap the discs every 10-15 hours of gameplay (only up, never back) because of the HD-CGI-scenes, it doesn’t really bother me. But sure, not having to change any disc is superior in fact.

6. Beta-guy on August 1st, 2008 12:13 am

DVD’s upper limit is 8.54 GB while Blu-ray’s upper limit is 50GB far more than ‘Megabytes’. You are correct that a 12X DVD drive is faster than a 2X Blu-ray drive, but TBH the larger games install to the HDD to off set any speed related issues.

both the Cell and Xenon processors are based on the PowerPC architecture, Xenon has 3 cores running at 3.2 Ghz the PS3 has 7 cores running @ 3.2 Ghz. the Cell is more powerful it’s up to the developers to make use of the additional core unfortunately ports don’t do this. additionally the Cell processor is being used in super computers unlike the Xenon, as I said it just a matter of putting the chip to use.

7. popeye9000 on August 1st, 2008 7:39 am

Console wars aside, I think it is highly unlikely that Blu-Ray will become a standard media drive format for PCs, making distributing PC games on it a highly risky business decision.

8. Mehar Gill on August 1st, 2008 8:13 am

The 360 had had the superior version of GTA 4, you can look it up.

Isn’t Cell 7 processors and 1 core? The Xenon is indeed 3 cores that are HT to make better use of the hardware. Its apparently enough to rival CELL. Your theory on “it makes the PS3 port worse” is greatly flawed, game companies have several teams working on a game at one time, from the ground up mind you for a variety of platforms. Yet these games look the same on both platforms, why do you think that is when the port is being treated like a exclusive game?

CELL is useless with only 256MB or Video and Storage ram, its true! Don’t believe me? Look into it, developers have said many Xbox 360 games will not keep the level of detail if ported to the PS3 due to the amount of ram the system has.

Deja Vu, I remember me and Dave had a argument about this so I will make it as clear as possible this time, the 360 has a disk cache, so if developers optimize their games they can have double the space. You can also code the game to detect weather their is a harddrive in place or if their is not, if the engine detects one it will use it. Yea their is that standard talk and it is something they should have done, but Microsoft barley turns a profit on these HDD since their external and not internal (thankfully) like they were on the original.

I don’t mind swapping discs either, back in the day I would be doing it on the PS1 and Dreamcast so it dosen’t bother me.

This is pretty stupid, how many PC gamers actually own Blu Ray drives anyway? I don’t see Blu Ray becoming the PC standard so soon either, DVD’s have just recently become standard for games, infact CD’s are still used or are available on demand!

9. Beta-guy on August 1st, 2008 9:45 am

@Mehar Gill

the 360 version has a higher resolution, I believe is what you are referring to but again, you’ve completely missed the point, they designed it for the 360 and ported it it over, their only goal is to get it to work, that’s more of a port issue than anything.

are you even listening to yourself 7 processors for 1 core? lol “Each Processing Element contained 8 APUs, which are now referred to as SPEs on the current Broadband Engine chip.” Perhaps you need to see performance number to prove what I’m saying, fine here’s the article it’s attached to from a CPU stand point the PS3 almost doubles the performance of the 360. Port are most certainly not treated like an exclusive game, to use you’re example of GTA4, why is it the PS3 version required an additional patch to resolve multiplayer functionality, why did the PS3 version have a resolution drop? infact I I’ve seen no reason why the game couldn’t have been done at 1080P for the PS3 version but then again, Sony didn’t pay them $50 million for DLC, and I suppose if they shipped a better version on the PS3 to draw people away from the 360 Microsoft might have been upset about spending that 50 million…

the Cell is useless with 256MB of memory? well you should tell the guys at folding@home… I’ll tell you this, the memory was the one thing that upset me I wish it had more (I’m honest) I paid $600 for my PS3, and I would have paid more for more memory. but I guess when they went all out everywhere else they had to save money some where, Sony has lost alot of money on the console itself. while we’re talking about deficiencies in the consoles how many times has your 360 RROD’d or how many times have to had to send it back? the PS3 never got anywhere as high as a 33% failure rate.

I don’t mind swapping discs if it’s needed, it shouldn’t be needed on a true ‘next gen’ console, Microsoft may have upgraded the components in side the box, but they were very backwards thinking when it came to HDMI, and their optical drive. Maybe if they weren’t in such a rush to beat the PS3 by a year, they could have resolved the RROD, upgraded the optical drive (even to HD DVD if need be) and put in a HDMI port. Unfortunately when you’re racing quality isn’t the number 1 concern.

I have a Blu-ray drive, not only that but it’s a Blu-ray burner. Blank media costs a bit much though, $20 – $27 dollars, but that’ll come down over time.

10. Dave Cowl on August 1st, 2008 9:46 am

I guess you HD DVD fans will have to be dragged kicking screaming into a Blu-ray future ;) ;)

The BD read only drives are down to the $100 range – at this rate it won’t be long before the price premium to have BD read as well as the usual DVD writer stuff will be such that it would be stupid to not get it.

And people arguing tech specs should read the article – the implication is that the royalty fees are the barrier to making a 3 DVD set. So even if you are willing to swap discs in and out, it is something about Microsofts’ royalty structure that is pushing them towards a 2 disc set and as such a lesser experience.

11. Mehar Gill on August 1st, 2008 9:58 am

@Dave Cowl

I’m not sure about the royalties but Far Cry 2 (Running on the 360, I think, impossible to tell now for various reasons) is a game that graphically blows Rage out of the water and it will be on a single disc.

I don’t know what the royalties would be like for Blu Ray but movie studios had stated it was pretty expensive using a dual layer Blu Ray disc compared to 2 HD DVDs.

Guys, theirs no point arguing about the “what ifs” I would have loved to have seen a internal HD DVD drive from the get go but it didn’t happen, I wish it did but it didn’t. We will just have to wait till the next generation to see if Microsoft will do something with HD DVD, Blu Ray, or a new contender. (Possibly flash drives?)

Their is one way you can get your games on a HD DVD disc if you really want, code a game in HDi and burn a pack of them onto a HD DVD disc. Pop the thing into your HD DVD drive. It should work without a hitch, if not you may need to emulate it.

Code a emulator in HDi :)

12. Pete on August 1st, 2008 3:08 pm

Sorry to burst the fanboy bubble, but the PS3 also has 512MB of memory. The way this memory is used, however, is different. The PS3 gives exclusively 256MB to the CPU and 256MB to the GPU, whereas the Xbox 360 allows CPU and GPU to share the full 512MB as they see fit. This indeed has come in for criticism from some devs, mainly because they have to think a little harder when they are dev-ing and some of them get headaches ;)

13. The Guardian on August 1st, 2008 9:51 pm

Well the nice thing about this is it’s the software pushing the hardware rather than the other way around.

14. ron on August 2nd, 2008 10:04 pm

Why pay more for a HD drive in your console when its not really needed. DVD drive = 1 or more disc and faster load times. BD = only 1 disc and slower load times or use your HDD for faster load times. So using the dvd drive in the 360 you might need more than one disc to play your games or using the BD drive in the PS3 you might need more than one HDD.

HDMI vs component, HDMI is a better cable but most cann’t see the difference.

The CELL might be faster but who will take the risk and spend the time and money just to make a PS3 game a little better. Nobody, risk high reward low. They could just pass the cost off on the PS3 gamer. How much would you spend for a PS3 game so it could max out the CELL, $70, $80, $90 maybe even $100, most think $60 is too much!

What the best console deal – 360. What the best BD player that also plays games – PS3.

15. Dave Cowl on August 2nd, 2008 10:59 pm

More than one HDD in the PS3? I haven’t even half filled my 60GB drive yet.

Also a 2x BD drive is roughly as fast as 7x DVD – it is not as though the BD drive is a super slow.

Though again the point of the article is missed. The problem with the 360 that will result in a lesser experience has nothing to do with the disc swapping or technicalities, it is the ROYALTY COST of having multiple discs for the XBox 360.

In other words it is purely Microsoft’s bean counters’ fault and if they changed the fee structure the users would get a better answer.

16. Beta-guy on August 3rd, 2008 12:24 am

@ron – is the RROD a feature you enjoy on the Xbox 360? I like my gaming console to work and not have to send it back for repairs multiple times…

17. ron on August 3rd, 2008 9:04 am

If you played alot of games that required you to download around 5GB to the HDD for faster load times and you downloaded alot of stuff off the PS network there could be a problem.

If the royalty cost of multiple dvd disc is more than one BD, than MS is f-ing up.

I like my gaming console to work and not have to send it back for repairs multiple times too. My 360 has never broke down, after three years you would think I sent it back a dozen times by now right?

How much would you spend on a PS3 game to max out the mighty CELL?

The 360 has 3 cores running at 3.2 Ghz with 2 hardware threads per core.

18. Mehar Gill on August 3rd, 2008 9:12 am

Don’t give people that, the PS3 has its faults, the PS2 even had its fault, how high was the failure rate for the disk drive again? Sony had done some bone headed things with the PS2, like shipping thousands of PS2′s to a ex dictator in a certain country that starts with I and saying “I dunno”

How about telling the public the PS2 is powerfully enough to launch weapons at targets more accurately then any military computer?

I’m sure your aware of the recent reports by Towards Freedom about the Coltan metal and how they say Sony is to blame more so then anyone else who used it. Like they didn’t have it bad enough all ready! I’m sorry but I like to play my console without having the blood of hundred of thousands of people on my hands!

19. Dave Cowl on August 3rd, 2008 10:07 am

Originally Posted By ron

I agree. The cost of making the discs is negligible, so the cost of the fees is the apparent issue.

BTW, let’s try to keep this from turning into a which evil empire is the most evil thread.

I am sure that Sony, Microsoft, or any major corporation for that matter, would sell your dog as a sex slave if it meant more profit.

None of them exist for humanitarian reasons…

20. Mehar Gill on August 3rd, 2008 10:42 am

@Dave Cowl

Yea thats true, about the disks that is. But in a few months the new update will be released which will allow the user to install to their harddrive, it will be interesting to see how developers use it.

Down the line I predict someone will bring up the harddrive issue, so I will get this over with now. I read about a method where you can crack open the harddrive casing and pop in a 120GB harddrive if you want, people have done it successfully. You can of course do the same thing with the PS3. I’m not sure how people got by the OS issue (since the OS is installed on the 360 HDD) but I assume they just updated their system.

Sure thing Dave, he just kept on bringing up the RROD issues, I’m not denying its not their but I thought I would put things into perspective for him.

21. Beta-guy on August 3rd, 2008 10:42 am

@Mehar Gill

could you list the problems the PS3 has that are on the same scale as the RROD, or the constant failures requiring having to send it be to Microsoft for the 360?

this is not a morality thread, companies around the world have a bottom line that being making money. you complain abut how powerful the PS2 was to the point where it could become a threat if used in an unorthodox fashion, well the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are far more powerful, do you want to put an end to gaming Consoles? North Korea, or Iran could get their hand on a PS3 for the same general idea that is thought of for Iraq buying the PS2′s.

you want to discuss morality? how about products “Made in China” I’m sure you’ve heard about the human rights violation in Tibet… Ultimately the society we live in that doesn’t care, that is regrettable, all our society cares about is making money and enjoying ourselves, with the fastest cars, most powerful computers, or the most video games we can get. people here have raised the question of how much more would we pay to make full use of the Cell processor in a game, well I ask you, how much would you pay to avoid buying product that have some level of possible morality attached to it’s production?

22. Mehar Gill on August 3rd, 2008 11:26 am

Sure thing, how high was the brick rate with the firmware updates? Sony has released at least 3 firmware updates that have caused problems with consoles. How many has Microsoft released?

I never said the PS2 was powerful, I gave an example about how Sony likes to hype its products. And I never said Iraq bought the PS2′s, somehow they ended up in Iraq and Sony’s official response was practically “I dunno how they got there”. First they hype the system has this super computer and then tell the public that a dictator got his hands on them by “accident”.

You cant just look at things like that Beta guy, you have to dig deeper and ask yourself why? A person working in a factory in China is not working in a factory for the same reason someone in America is. Asian culture looks down upon those people, they see them has inferior (which is ironic, 1930s….) their not working their because they want to earn a quick buck. They are working their because they have no other option, unlike developed countries most 2nd/3rd world countries have no way of supporting their population financially. Some could be gifted intelligently but be forced to work said factory job since their family is poor and unable to pay for school. Here in North America service’s are provided so those things won’t happen.

I could reverse that logic on you as well, why does the Xbox 360 red ring? Its because it was rushed to beat out the PS3 which at that time was supposed to launch about 3 months after the 360. Why did they launch early, too make money of course by beating out the competition. You have to give Microsoft credit though for fixing the problem, a billion is no small sum, aside from some unconfirmed rumors the next models do not red ring.

I’m familiar with Tibet, its definitely not the worst the region as faced and it probably won’t be the last. In the end its up to the individual, not the masses to decided the future. Dave seems annoyed so if you want to discuss this further feel free to email me (—->)

23. merrick97 on August 3rd, 2008 11:42 am

@Mehar Gill

Where was it EVER stated that the 360 version of GTAIV was superior?

If you read reviews from IGN. They said that the PS3 version was graphically better.
    “For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3″

I did look it up and somehow it didnt back up what you said.

I actually own the 360 version for the simple fact that it will have exclusive downloadable episodes. In that regard the 360 version becomes superior version.

But graphically and technically? No.

24. ron on August 3rd, 2008 11:51 am

I still like what Beta-guy said, “calling the 360 a ‘next gen’ console is a joke” is great. The PS3 is superior because it has games that look the same or even worse than the 360 has for the same price. At least you got a BD players out of the deal if you have a HDTV and extra money for the movies.

On to the topic: If MS wouldn’t charge royalty fee for extra dvd than there would be no issue. Dvd and BD are both just storage devices.

25. Mehar Gill on August 3rd, 2008 11:51 am

Well for one its not even able to run at 720p has stated by Beta guy, Rockstar had also stated that the delay was because of the PS3′s limited RAM compared to the 360, they ALSO stated that the 360 DVD issue came into play.

And that article states those problems do not exist because of the HDD install, is it possible to play GTA 4 on the PS3 without installing it to the HDD? If you can conduct a better test in the fall when the 360 gets the HDD install feature.

26. ron on August 3rd, 2008 12:15 pm

The PS3 is like a Z06 vette (more horsepower) with a manual transmission.

The 360 is like a standard vette with an automatic trans.

If you can’t drive a stick than the extra power is worthless.

27. Pete on August 3rd, 2008 12:24 pm

PS3 doesn’t have limited RAM. It has 512mb, the same as the Xbox360. Furthermore, the throughput is faster on the PS3.

I particularly enjoyed your comments on “Asian” people. Well done for sticking several billion people into the same pigeon-hole, this makes it far easier for an ignoramus such as myself to understand. I now feel I know them all.

And finally… GTA4 works on the PS3 in 720p and 1080p. I doubt it is native at those res tho.

Oh, by the way, didn’t the CIA install Saddam? Where are they from again? Japan?

28. Tyler Pruitt on August 3rd, 2008 10:23 pm

Enough of the Ram discussion…. this is about disc sizes…

29. Pete on August 4th, 2008 4:06 am

I believe it’s a no-brainer that having it all on one disc is preferable to having to swap several discs (albeit perhaps only once a disc). This has been the story of the past few decades, where a higher capacity format replaces the lower capacity format (talking about computer data specifically here, not movie formats). There is no reason to deny this will happen again now, and again in the future. The Xbox’s lack of a high capacity disc will become more of a problem and give Microsoft further negative press such as this. Thing is, all they can do is workaround the issue by relaxing royalty fees or create a blu-ray peripheral – the general reckoning however is that this will not be able to be used for games. As a result, the perception of the public will grow that the Xbox 360 is old technology, and that the PS3 is current/new technology. It must be obvious to everyone that Microsoft really missed a trick by not including an internal HD DVD drive from the start.

30. Mehar Gill on August 4th, 2008 8:25 am

Originally Posted By Pete

Ha thanks, I always like to laugh before I start my day, feel free to look it up.

And again look it up, 640p is not 720p, the 720p and 1080p you refer to are upscaled, 720p for the 360 is native. Last comment on RAM but its 256 and 256 the 360 is 512 so when developers port from the 360 over they have to make adjustments. Not so much the other way around, which I guess you could say hurts the system if its just a standard port.

I’m not sure what you mean by that, if its supposed to be a Microsoft vs Sony thing then all I have to say is Microsoft doesn’t deal with politics. If you want to get into that game though, look into the history of Japan after World War 2, Look into who rebuilt their economy so companies like Sony could become the empires they are today.

31. Pete on August 4th, 2008 11:05 am

It was meant to be amusing, but not necessarily from your perspective. However, enjoy all the same, you are most welcome!

GTA4 is native 720p on both Xbox360 and PS3.

I heard they found Windows for Workgroups installed on Saddam’s 386 and Pol Pot was known to be a big fan of MS-DOS 6.21, so what was that about Microsoft?

32. Mehar Gill on August 4th, 2008 11:19 am

GTA 4 is not native 720p on the PS3

I bet he switched to Linux the moment Sony sent him the PS2′s :)

33. Pete on August 4th, 2008 1:44 pm

Ah yes. So it does. I got bored counting at around 500, and guessed the rest. My bad!

34. Belard on August 4th, 2008 9:51 pm

@ Pete:

Quote: “As a result, the perception of the public will grow that the Xbox 360 is old technology, and that the PS3 is current/new technology. It must be obvious to everyone that Microsoft really missed a trick by not including an internal HD DVD drive from the start.”

The Xbox360 was in a lose/lose situation if you look at the whole picture. If the 360 included the HD-DVD drive and the format died like it did, MS would be in trouble – and MS is not known for taking big gambles into tech. There are several GOOD reasons why the 360 didn’t include the HD-DVD, timing and money are the issues.

- HD-DVD wasn’t ready when 360s started shipping. The default setup must be made from the beginning. The DVD drive is a lot cheaper. To have waited for HD-DVD and a suitable drive that is reliable and small enough to fit inside the 360 would have :

- Added 4-8 month delay to the 360 being released to market. Remember, the Xbox came out after the PS2. MS rushed the 360 to market to gain marketshare before the PS3. Hence, the 360 has a healthy – but slowed used base. To have added 4-8 months would havbe:

- Reduce the sales of Xbox360 as it would have missed the Christmas rush and more people would have waited for the PS3 come to market than buy a 360. But perhaps they would have had more time to work out their bugs and not get the ROD issue… But the ROD issue really showed its heard after a year or so. If MS waited, the 360 most likey would have less 10million units and the PS3 would be at 25million, especially with:

- The HD-DVD becoming a dead format. Also the HD-DVD drive coming from another supplier would have cause the:

- Xbox360 to have a far higher price-tag. We’re talking $500~550 for the base 360 with 20GB HD with HD-DVD. Also, MS was lucky that Sony had supply & development problems which caused the PS3 to be about 6 months late! Those 6 months caused Sony about 4-5million unit sales (which went to xbox360).

Microsoft rushed an unreliable console to market. But it got them marketshare and a footing that they wouldn’t have otherwise. But it might have helped Toshiba/HD-DVD to have a fighting chance against Blu. Microsoft only looks out for Microsoft, they’ll destory any company or deal first – they are not about loyality, never have, never will.

In 2011~2012 – we’ll have the PS4 vs Xbox-WhoKnows. Since there won’t be a replacement for Blu-Ray by then, the next PlayStation has a much easier development. The 4-8-12 core CPUs are easy enough to make and GPU tech continues to expand. Today’s ATI 4850 card ($160) is about 2-3x more powerful than the GPUs in the PS3/360 consoles. In 2 years, GPU power will be 2-3x more powerful than today. But I think the consoles will turn into Computers in that their life-span will go from 6~7 years down to 2-3 years.

35. Pete on August 5th, 2008 2:10 am

I agree that Microsoft would have been speculating wildly to put an HD DVD drive in the box. However, the release of the Xbox360 was terribly problematic – I had one on order with Amazon for over 4 months before it eventually arrived, and that wasn’t an uncommon story. Like you say, it was a rushed to market product, and felt like it. I personally was largely unimpressed for several reasons (fan noise, non-rechargable controller too big, interface not to my taste (a little too focused at kids&teens I thought), multiplayer subs, media center functions restrictive and limited, no wi-fi) and eventually sold it and bought a PS3 (which arrived the next day). For all I know my Xbox360 would have RROD’d by now. I honestly would have preferred MS to wait and get it right rather than merely being first past the post.

It appears to me that Microsoft’s business interests are narrow compared to Sony’s, which puts Sony in a far better position to speculate rationally and successfully, independently of third-parties.

As for life-span of laptops vs consoles, I can’t agree with you. Laptops see profit in their 1st year, consoles in their 3rd if they’re lucky. The hardware is heavily subsidised in order to sell profit-rich proprietary and licenced software. The business models are vastly different. The original Xbox made a profit in only one quarter during its entire lifespan. The Xbox360, released in late 2005, made it’s first year of profit in 2007-2008. The R&D effort is incredible for consoles, by the time the console is released, enough money has already been spent to manufacture a whole range of laptops and market them for over a year. To expect a console to be replaced every 2-3 years would be unprofitable and unmanageable for everyone concerned – including consumers, who would balk at the idea they should replace their considerable investment after such a short period.

And then there’s also the question of competition – you don’t get a Toshiba PS3 or a Dell PS3… anyway, enough said.

36. Mehar Gill on August 5th, 2008 8:51 am

Their were HD DVD prototypes being distributed among companies, if Microsoft wanted to a one month delay would have sufficed for them to include a internal HD DVD drive. Apparently Microsoft was making a profit on the 360s at launch so if they kept the current price point their user base would be were it’s at today. And of course the format war would be much different.

I also think the console market will be influenced heavily by the PC market, thats why companies should give their console a fighting chance. The 360 is a capable machine but DVD is holding it back. I wish a developer would at least do a tech demo of sorts to show how a game would be running if it was on a HD DVD. (No compression, HQ textures, etc)

37. Beta-guy on August 5th, 2008 11:18 am

@Mehar Gill

If Microsoft kept selling the HD DVD add-on as ‘enhanced game disc drive’ then Microsoft wouldn’t run into this situation, and Toshiba could use this to try to recoup their losses in the format war. it may not have the capacity that Blu-ray does, but it’s better than what they currently got. this game could be the first of many games to make use of this drive for games.

38. Pete on August 6th, 2008 1:47 am

So, as well as paying licences for extra DVD’s to support the millions without this “add-on”, Rage would have to pay a licence for the HD DVD version? And of course the retailers would have to stock both versions, and deal with the resulting consumer confusion. Not to mention the stigma attached to HD DVD as a dead format, giving the Xbox360 an even greater perception of being a legacy product. Tthis would never happen, and rightly so.