E3 08: Sony’s Announcements

Posted by Mehar Gill on July 15, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Fox, Paramount, PS3, Rental, Sony, Studios, Warner

Sony had there E3 press conference today as well, they made some pretty big announcements about their video service, the big one being it will be available tonight. Here are some details

• Download partners include, Sony, Fox, Lions gate, Warner, Disney, Paramount, and subsidies.
  • You will have the ability to buy or rent both SD and HD content.
  • You can transfer the content to a portable device, you can transfer to as many devices as you want.
  • The download average given was a 2 hour SD movie can be downloaded in 1 hour, depending on the connection.
  • The videos will be encoded in the AVC codec.
  • Prices are: $15 to purchase, $6 to rent in HD, and $4 to rent in SD.

How do you guys will think this will factor into Blu-ray sales on the PS3? Analysts have gone on the record saying that if PS3 owners “go else where” it will hurt Blu-ray sales. I like the fact that you can buy movies along with renting them and then transfer it to portable devices.

1. Sony To Launch Video Download Service
  2. Sony to Release Home Entertainment Server with Blu-ray Disc Burner Included
  3. Sony Unveils Blu-ray Recorders With “Toshiba Killer”
  4. Spider-Man 3 is Sony’s New Best Seller
  5. Lawyers Gone Wild Pt. II: Sony Sued Again, Guess Why!

Comments

9 Responses to “E3 08: Sony’s Announcements”

1. That1guypictures on July 15th, 2008 7:55 pm

any specific time tonight?!

2. Bigdmelt12 on July 15th, 2008 9:41 pm

E3 just doesnt do it for me anymore. Its more of the same, later dates of stuff coming out then what was originally talked about and the new things I could jus read about at the dashboard when im logging into games

3. Ben on July 15th, 2008 10:52 pm

The new video section was up when I checked here around 11 PM E.S.T… Lots of great TV and movie content!

On the few that I checked, prices were $9.99 to $14.99 for SD movie purchases. $1.99 for tv shows (which were all SD).

$2.99 to $3.99 for SD movie rentals, and $4.50 to $5.99 for HD rentals. There were no HD purchases that I saw… only rentals.

Half-hour (~22 min) SD TV-shows were around 350 – 700MB (guess some are in higher-res? Mythbusters were 700+ MB). SD movies were around 1.5 to 2GB; HD ones were around 5 to 7GB. For example, Cloverfield is 85 minutes, and 5.2GB; Die Another Day, 132 minutes, was 7.8GB.

There were 53 HD movies available… no HD tv-shows.

There was a dedicated Anime section.

I liked the detailed descriptions and that you could see the size of the video before you purchase/rent. I like being able to browse by Genre and Studio. The search feature could have been nice… but you have to have a direct name match… it doesn’t do partial matches (“clover” didn’t find “cloverfield”), and when choosing “All” for the search-type, it doesn’t seem to be searching descriptions, only title.

What I’d like to see… a trailer to watch (right there, before you purchase) for each movie would be a nice touch… and for TV-shows, maybe a short teaser preview (to help me remember if I’ve seen the episode before).

I’d also like to see a SORTING function for the whole Store, videos and games. Right now everything is sorted by name only. Sorting could be integrated into the ‘view mode’ (square) button… one press for list (as it does now), but then another press to sort that list by ‘date added’ (esp for the Game section), another press for name, etc… length/size (depending on if it’s a video or game); ratings… or they could have a small menu to choose what to sort by, instead. I just want sorting!

I’d also like to see what kind of audio format/channels the video had… and what HD-resolution the movies are (720 or 1080).

Overall, it’s nice to have this new feature. I may be renting some… but for purchases, I’ll continue to buy Blu-ray Discs.

Be sure to read the Terms of Service (scroll down to #9, a little more than halfway) — they’ve put pretty heavy restrictions on what you can copy to what devices, how many times, etc… rentals are limited to 14 days and once you start it, you have 24 hours to finish watching it.

Purchases are one-time only– if you lose it somehow you can’t re-download it without paying for it again. Oh, and I noticed that only SD-content can be copied to a PSP (probably because all HD was rental-only!).

4. Tyler Pruitt on July 16th, 2008 3:01 am

@Ben -

Thanks for the detailed info on the PSN video store!

5. James Segars on July 16th, 2008 9:01 am

I’m glad that Ben is as interested in the blood and guts of the new video store as I am!

I definitely think that they’ll be needing to specify the resolutions and the audio formats, that’s an absolute must! Without that, they won’t be getting any of my money.

I like 720p resolutions o.k., but 1080p works far better for me. I can’t imagine that they’re offering 1080p rentals right off the bat, but they could be — we’d never know at this point.

I definitely think that Sony needs to rethink their organization on the “PS Store” front. Their alphabetical sorting has got to be the most inefficient means for browsing available titles. XBLM is FAR better in this respect, and they specify the video resolution, along with providing a full screen trailer.

I will say though, I was rather let down to find that HD purchases were not included, only SD. I realize that with my ~40gb of HDD space, I’m not going to be able to add much, but someone with an 80gb drive or even a bigger custom one could fit more than a couple HD downloads on there. I just think it should be an option. That’s all.

I’ve got all three consoles, and with 360′s announcement for integrated Netflix in the Fall, XBLM has still got PSN Video Store, beyond trumped — but then again this is only day one for them, hehe.

Perhaps in the future we’ll be seeing Blockbuster Online support through PSN Video Store, or maybe even Netflix — if there is no exclusivity contract with Microsoft.

All in all, a rather decent first outing from Sony.

6. Mehar Gill on July 17th, 2008 9:29 am

More details have been released today, the store is region locked, so some in lets say Australia would be unable to access any of the American content. The store will also be released in Europe and I think Asia in 2009.

Sony also stated the future of UMD is in the hands of the store, if the store takes off they will kill off UMD I guess. So if you love your UMD, don’t buy anything from the store.

7. Ben on July 17th, 2008 11:42 pm

Hey I was browsing the store today and noticed some things have a Preview button now… just what I wanted. Or did I somehow miss this before?

Now, add that preview to everything, Sony!

(btw, they looked very good full screen (65″ HDTV) for a streaming download!)

8. Mehar Gill on July 18th, 2008 8:45 am

What kind of streaming is it? Is it the kind Microsoft uses where it downloads a certain percentage and let you start watching while the download finishes, or is it just streaming.

I’m not sure on the preview thing, Sony did promise it but I don’t know what percentage they promised.

9. Mehar Gill on July 18th, 2008 12:53 pm