Slysoft Continues To Outfox BD+

Posted by James Segars on June 20, 2008
Filed Under: AACS, Blu-ray, Format War, Fox, PC, Studios

It should come as little surprise  to you — assuming you’ve been following the format war — that Slysoft has once again trumped the now-laughable BD+ encryption, found on Blu-ray discs.

Despite the recent move towards providing consumers with a digital copy of the film, Fox’s latest release, Jumper has been cracked, as well as “a new flavor of AACS.”  We can only imagine how frustrating this must be for the studios who have tried so hard to keep us from doing what we please with our purchased content.

Of course, we certainly applaud their efforts for including Digital Copy, as it’s certainly a step in the right direction, but it just isn’t good enough yet.

Via, EngadgetHD.

1. Slysoft Set To Change Software Policy
  2. Warner Continues To Support Both Formats… For Now?
  3. Warner Dedicated to Digital Copy on Blu-ray Releases?
  4. Circuit City Sunday Ad September 14th 2008
  5. Wal-Mart Lauches New HD DVD/Blu-ray Retail Displays

Comments

36 Responses to “Slysoft Continues To Outfox BD+”

1. Mehar Gill on June 20th, 2008 1:19 pm

I heard about this, correct me if I’m wrong here but wasn’t Fox touting the reason they refused to release movies on HD DVD was because it was cracked, this makes it sound like even Blu Rays were cracked during the format war.

2. Dave Cowl on June 20th, 2008 4:01 pm

AACS was broken for both formats during ‘the war’

Actually even BD+ was pretty much ‘solved’ before the end of 2007…

3. Mehar Gill on June 20th, 2008 4:10 pm

Yea I thought I heard about Blu Ray and HD DVD being cracked by AnyDVD, in mid 07. I think at the end of 07 Fox came out with the “official” reason as to why they were not releasing films on Blu Ray.

4. Justin Sluss on June 20th, 2008 7:34 pm

It definitely isn’t hurting sales. That’s for sure!

5. bigdmelt12 on June 20th, 2008 10:49 pm

sales arent that good.

6. Pete on June 21st, 2008 3:30 am

“Alas, let this be yet another lesson to them, and their antiquated notion of how the consumer should access their content.”

Like, rip it and put it up on for download via BitTorrent? Is that a good thing for the industry? What champions SlySoft are.

Seems to be yet more hypocrisy from the anti-BD crowd. DVD is cracked and has been for a long time, yet it will always be King. BD is cracked, therefore it will never survive.

Last time I looked BD sales were good, particularly for this time of the year. Still, $10million worth of sales is obviously a drop in ocean for some of the people posting here, and hardly even worth mentioning.

7. The Guardian on June 21st, 2008 6:08 am

If the Canadian government gets its way, pretty soon it will actually be illegal for Canadians to even purchase AnyDVD! Pretty scary eh. All in the name of protecting DRM.

That right there shows how effective DRM is. I wonder how long before BD-Live features start reporting to the servers whether or not the BD+ is still active so they can come arrest you!

OK I’m being slightly sarcastic with that last bit there. But still, the trend in music (which has a huge digital head start over movies) is AWAY from DRM. But we like reinventing the wheel repeatedly…

8. Mehar Gill on June 21st, 2008 10:37 am

Even though piracy is having very little effect on the format does not mean companys should stop their anti piracy measures. When a product is released people will try their best to hack it, once they hack it they will create a half assed way to run pirated software on it. Eventually it will improve to a point where it’s super easy and everyone does it.

Prime example, the PSP! When it was released it was a chore to play pirated software on it since their were so many hoops the “consumer” had to jump through. Then people like “Dark_Alex” decide there going to make it much easier for people to play their pirated games and movies on the PSP by installing the “boot loader” prx right into the hacked firmware. And then they go on by saying “its for back ups only” and “If you like the software buy it”, who the fu** is going to buy software they already downloaded?

Sure companies are making it possible for people to get a copy of a film with “Digital Copy” technology, but a majority of those copies are DRM filled and time locked (E.x. redeem before Date X),

9. Jonsson on June 21st, 2008 12:17 pm

I think the media companies are stupid and greedy vultures that are shooting themselves in the foot with non-skippable adds, are codes and stupid prising.

Having said that, I DO NOT agree to steeling. They have the legal right and ripping material is steeling. It is the same thing as going into a jevelery store or a bank and helping yourself.

As far as I am concerned, bloating news like this on this site lessenes the “seriousness” of the site. Why not rename yourself to Fornat Warez Central.

10. The Guardian on June 21st, 2008 12:33 pm

I just hate how companies put in DRM when all it does it make it harder for LEGIT customers to use the product! The people who get pirated versions don’t have any issues with this. It’s much worse with PC Games, some of the DRM is so extreme there was a mass revolt against a certain game forcing a company to slightly back down.

First thing I do when I buy a new game for my PC is download a no-CD crack. Makes the game load faster and I don’t have to worry about finding discs etc.

So far the DRM in the Blu-rays has not annoyed me … but if I had an old Samsung player that won’t play BD+ at all (because Samsung is too lazy to update the firmware) perhaps I would not be so nice about it…

11. Mehar Gill on June 21st, 2008 12:44 pm

@Jonsson

Its not like were hosting the software or telling people where you can get it from. To get AnyDVD you have to buy it, when something is cracked it is indeed news worthy.

No offense but if you wanted the light sided skew of this stuff there are sites for that too.

12. Jonsson on June 21st, 2008 1:15 pm

@Mehar Gill

If you really did host this stuff etc. etc. I would be really dissapointed.

I just dislike when stealing (which anyDVD really is all about) is portraied as a success.

As I said, I think the media companies are really shooting themselves in the foot and are being generally stupid but I still do not accept that as an excuse to stealing.

Quite frankly, it is my oponion that it is the pirating that makes the media companies think about not using physical media such as BD, DVD etc… and I do not like the way things are going on that subject with all the hype about digital downloads etc…

13. Pete on June 21st, 2008 3:20 pm

I agree Jonsson I believe there is a smug nature to this post that is slightly sinister, though possibly it is just smug because the poster was an ardent HD DVD supporter who can not accept the events of this year. Unfortunately, back in reality those kind of HD DVD supporters have nothing to be smug about.

Back to the piracy issue, just because a store employs a security guard at the entrance, that is no excuse to see that as a challenge to test how easily you can circumnavigate the security and steal the products inside.

Nor is it an indication they perceive all the people who enter the store as being potential thieves.

The movie industry has no desire to end up like the music industry, which is in disarray due to the unprotected CD format. They should have stuck to vinyl. The music industry has been forced by massive losses to accept they took up DRM too late and too fragmented, and have been desperately trying everything to make up for it ever since.

Movies have been given a lifeline by low internet bandwidth, high storage requirements and copy-protected DVDs. Where the music industry ends up no one really knows, but the movie industry have been a whole lot luckier and smarter.

14. Mehar Gill on June 21st, 2008 4:01 pm

@Pete -

Yea no worries, I was pretty pissed of when the first HD DVD’s started appearing on torrent sites and AnyDVD decided to crack both formats late last summer. Pirating isn’t the only reason, its not sufficient anymore to have a spinning medium read data off a disc because it takes a long time especially when we get into the HD DVD and Blu Ray discs.

@Jonsson

I’m not sure what you mean by that first paragraph

15. theotherstevejobs on June 21st, 2008 4:03 pm

i buy the BDs, and i netflix the DVDs so i can put a copy on my iPhone or my Mac Book when i travel.

works out fine. DVDs will be around for at least another 15 years.

16. Mehar Gill on June 21st, 2008 7:36 pm

VHS tapes are still around

17. James Segars on June 21st, 2008 7:43 pm

@Pete
    Haha, I was, and still am an HD DVD supporter, but I’m also a Blu-ray supporter as well. No favoritism here, and I certainly don’t relish the fact that Blu-ray is being “cracked.” I do however respect Slysoft’s decision to defeat the “impenetrable” BD+ that was said to be uncrackable for “10 years.”

Why you ask? Because I think it’s stupid that they’ve wasted so much time and money on something that ultimately hurts consumers — HTPC users, and uninformed BD owners — and is fundamentally worthless.

Why not use their time/money/resources on doing something to further the BD format, and stop trying to pursue an “unbreakable” DRM?

I don’t think that’s being smug, and I definitely don’t advocate piracy.

Glad I could set the record straight.

18. Jonsson on June 22nd, 2008 12:27 am

@Mehar Gill

Mehar, I just responded to what you said: “It’s not like we’re hosting the software…”

As I said, I would be very dissapointed if you did. It would detract from the legitimacy (not sure if that is the right spellng or even the right word but I think you understand what I want to say anyway) of the site.

19. Pete on June 22nd, 2008 2:52 am

@James Segars

Fair enough. I’m not sure why you’d be so bothered about what the BDA spend their own money on. There’s plenty of it sloshing around, and I doubt money was moved from X or Y to spend on BD+. HD DVD movies turning up on torrent sites must have hurt Toshiba badly. Whatever the BDA’s tactics, they appear to have worked. Additionally, I’ve been led to believe that BD+ can evolve, and SlySoft & co will have to continually push out updates to keep up.

I’m struggling to understand how BD+ hurts “uninformed” BD users … why are uninformed ones hurt, and not informed ones? Surely the majority of people buying Blu-ray, especially those who are uninformed, will never understand, experience nor see BD+, never mind be hurt by it – particularly now it has been allegedly cracked.

20. Mehar Gill on June 22nd, 2008 7:51 am

@Jonsson – Oh I know what happened, the quotes go mixed around so my message to Pete was “@” you and my message to you was “@” Pete.

21. Dave Cowl on June 22nd, 2008 10:29 am

The whole DRM this is kinda interesting. I have seen comments from content owners that say DRM is not there to protect against pirates (who would never buy the stuff anyways), but rather to make it sufficiently inconvenient for normal folks to avoid purchasing the discs.

In the same sense, the biggest goal of the likes of BD+ and/or new AACS keys is to protect big releases in the first few weeks of release, where all the good money is. The goal is to no lose sales to pre-release pirate versions. In that respect, perhaps it is working – it takes Slysoft time to work over the new protections, and that is what Fox is looking for.

22. Jonsson on June 22nd, 2008 11:32 am

@Mehar Gill
    No problem Mehar. Guess we’re on he same wavelength on this:-)

23. The Guardian on June 22nd, 2008 12:26 pm

“In any case, I don’t advocate piracy, except perhaps for Slysoft software – pirate that all you like! I don’t see that they would have any grounds for complaint… :D

That’s pretty good! I’d like to see them come into a North American court and argue that their pirating software was pirated by a certain individual. :)

24. Mehar Gill on June 22nd, 2008 1:41 pm

The companies located in Antigua and Barbuda so I don’t think anyone really cares what they do, I doubt the government of Antigua and Barbuda have any sort of piracy laws there.

25. Mehar Gill on June 22nd, 2008 1:43 pm

Remember back in the day when people found out a way to extract the video from HD DVD/Blu Ray discs by using print screen?

26. Pete on June 23rd, 2008 12:12 pm

@Mehar Gill

“I’m not sure what you mean by that first paragraph”

I’m not sure how I could have been any clearer. James has put me straight since anyway, so I guess it doesn’t matter.

I think Dave Cowl has it bang on – they want to at least slow the pirates down. Delaying a pirated release by a few weeks make a huge difference. So, in actual fact everyone who matters is happy – the HTPC customers get their rippable disc (in time), the studios get their new release profits and the customers who merely want to play their disc in a BD player don’t even notice anything happened.

27. Mehar Gill on June 23rd, 2008 12:53 pm

@Pete

Well you make it sound like the article has something to do with fanboyism.

28. Pete on June 23rd, 2008 2:05 pm

My stance is against piracy, and I thought the article came across as rather smug that BD+ had been cracked. It seems to me petulant that the studios’ attempt to not go down the same drain as the music industry should be scoffed at and lauded as anti-consumer/greedy because a bunch of guys who represent the minority of customers can’t copy the discs to their hard drives. If there’s another group of customers that are “hurt by BD+” [paraphrasing] then please educate me as James has obviously declined the offer.

29. Mehar Gill on June 23rd, 2008 2:21 pm

@Pete

To be fair though, companies were “Smug” that BD+ would “never” be cracked any time soon. I’m going to assume those involved with production of the disc’s themselves are concerned, along with the software engineers who need to constantly update there players firmware to comply with the latest BD+ revision.

Eventually ripping will become more appealing to the masses, just like it did with DVD’s. This is why BD+ seems like a waste of time to many.

And of course the manufacturer’s might also be pissed off when they need to buy BD+ specifications.

30. Belard on June 23rd, 2008 4:12 pm

FOX & Disney went with BR because it had region locking more than anti-piracy. No matter what, a couple of hackers will do in a few hours or weeks what they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and years working on.

Hence, HEAVY DRM never stops anyone and hurts customers. Light DRM (simple anti-copy) is fine to stop the avg joe. Fine, okay. Look at BioShock for PC with its super heavy DRM. I was going to buy that $50 game, nope – sorry. Yet its easy enough to get a pirated version. Did it stop the pirates? no. Did it hurt legit customers? Yes.

31. Mehar Gill on June 23rd, 2008 4:31 pm

Fox is on the record for stating they would have gone HD DVD had they had some sort of BD+ implementation, its in the link in my previous post.

32. James Segars on June 23rd, 2008 8:16 pm

The war on piracy is as futile as the war on terrorism. Both are costly and the end result will always be the same. Neither can be eliminated fully, so the best course of action is to be vigilant and protective as opposed to aggressive and oppressive.

BD+ is the perfect example of this. It was designed with the explicit intent of disabling a consumers hardware, among other things. I understand its purpose, but regardless of their intentions, I believe that they are overextending their influence as the content providers. Clearly you don’t feel the same way, Pete, and that’s fine, but I just don’t think that they should be able to wield that much power over our consumer electronics devices.

Also, in response to an earlier statement. Toshiba/HD DVD didn’t lose because of HD DVD rips online. They lost because they bled what little earnings they made on the hardware/software to subsidize the costs of the hardware in the hopes that they would grab a big enough install base before the PS3 finally picked up steam. In stark contrast, the BDA and Co. stood firmly behind their hardware pricing, and instead chose to invest their money on advertisements that ultimately scored them far greater consumer awareness and support than HD DVD.

Piracy didn’t kill HD DVD, and it surely won’t kill Blu-ray (seriously, how many HT enthusiasts/consumers are content with 720p x.264 rips?). If Blu-ray doesn’t succeed — which I personally think is rather unlikely — we’ll surely be chalking it up to either DD’s (Digital Downloads) or another successive physical format.

33. Pete on June 24th, 2008 1:21 am

@James Segars

I can’t say I agree with your “war” comparison – the movie studios aren’t waging war on a pirate as much as you aren’t waging war on a burglar by installing a 5 level mortice lock on your front door. The war on terrorism is steeped in a complex history spanning thousands of years of religious conflict and colonial conquest. There is no comparison to be made.

The point is, by installing your high security lock, you’ve made it more difficult for the thief. You realise if someone is intent on getting in they will – but by making it difficult they’ll make more noise and it’ll take them more time. If a company based in, let’s say, Bermuda, released a key that would easily open up any mortice lock worldwide, including yours, would you scoff at yourself for your futile attempt at keeping your possessions safe?

It appears no one wants to tell me who is being hurt by BD+ and quantify their statement. My Blu-ray hardware is not booby-trapped to disable itself or any other electronic devices I own, at the whim of the BDA – to say so is a little misleading.

34. Mehar Gill on June 24th, 2008 8:23 am

@Pete

Difficult for the thief until they try the window. Piracy also has a complex history behind it, spanning back to as early as 560AD. And I think what your thinking of is Jihad, completely different from Terrorism.

Did you read my other post Pete? I gave you a detailed description on who it hurts.

35. Pete on June 24th, 2008 9:45 am

Windows can have locks too, and there were plenty of religious wars before Mohammed, Mehar.

If by detailed description you mean a link to another blog, then yes I read it. Didn’t really feel it added anything, but thanks anyway.

36. Sirandar on December 29th, 2008 11:18 am

I hate piracy and DRM …. In Toronto you can purchase releases before they even come out in the theater.

DRM is probably a necassary evil BUT

4 out of 5 of the New Releases I have bought or rented over the last year wouldn’t play in WinDVD version 9. Later they all played (except Wall-E) after either changes to my system or an update.

Wouldn’t play:

Youth Without Youth
    Some other movie I can’t remember the name of
    The Other Boelyn Sister (was WinDVD patch issue)
    Wall-E (late 2008 BD+ titles not supported)
    Jumper (only one that played but wasn’t that new a release when rented)

Not a very consumer friendly track recond. Wall-E was the last Blu-ray I will ever buy, and it still doesn’t play. Corel is supposed to release an update in “early 2009″ so that gives you an idea of how long it takes to get New Releases to play. Interestingly, Arcsoft TMT trail version plays Wall-E perfectly on my system. Some people have all three Blu-ray players on their system just so they can have a good chance to play New Releases. I won’t pay another cent for another player or title until this mess gets sorted out.