Borders Expands Their Overpriced Blu-ray Section

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on June 19, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Retailers

As a Blu-ray retailer, Borders is one of the worst places to shop at. We previously discussed this in the “Where not to buy Blu-ray movies” post. Despite their super high prices, it seems some people have been buying Blu-ray movies from their retail locations, since they have now greatly expanded their Blu-ray section.

We do wonder who really goes into Borders (Amazon Fanboy Here), except to read magazines while your GF/Wife ect. is shopping at the mall.

1. Sears Expands Blu-ray Movie Section
  2. Borders 40 Percent Off Blu-ray Sale
  3. Where NOT To Buy Blu-ray/HD DVD Movies Part I
  4. Target Unifying Their Blu-ray Displays?
  5. Target July 13th Blu-ray Related Sunday Ad

18 Responses to “Borders Expands Their Overpriced Blu-ray Section”

1. thomas p vinelli on June 19th, 2008 5:56 am

i’ll say there overpriced,i did see stargate for 15.00 in my local borders.
    but i didn’t buy cause the pq sucks on it.
    borders is a store for the rich,and any borders in a town like that does well.
    for me i’ll stick to amazon.

2. webdev511 on June 19th, 2008 6:56 am

Music and movies have always been over priced at Borders. All they’ve done is replaced some over priced standard def content with overpriced hi-def content.

Nothing to see here…

3. Justin Sluss on June 19th, 2008 7:58 am

gouge away borders! it hurts the format when dickhead merchants like this overprice BD’s so much *cough cough* BEST BUY , CIRCUIT CITY *cough cough* ^^^

4. Mehar Gill on June 19th, 2008 9:37 am

You guys think this is bad, in April I took a trip to Vancouver, I checked out their local HMVs and they were selling HD DVD’s for above $30! The highest I saw them going for was around $50 which was ridiculous considering the format war ended 2 months ago!

5. Belard on June 19th, 2008 4:21 pm

FRY’s is dumping all remaining HD-DVD discs in Texas for $10.95 (something like that under $11)

6. Mi on June 19th, 2008 6:33 pm

I would point out thought that if they are selloing them (and everything) overpriced and they STILL have to expand their BD section, the format is clearly doing just fine.

7. Bigdmelt12 on June 19th, 2008 7:55 pm

they didnt have too…maybe they arent selling so they want to get more titles out there…who in their right mind buys from this place or anywhere online….I went their today…ridiculous prices.

8. Bigdmelt12 on June 19th, 2008 8:11 pm

oops i meany anywhere other than online

9. Mehar Gill on June 19th, 2008 8:19 pm

Here’s a question, would you guys be willing to pay high price’s for older Blu Ray/HD DVDs that may not be in production any more and non existent in many stores?

10. Lars on June 19th, 2008 9:27 pm

In Germany we’re paying more than 50$ (ca. 33€) on new BDs from Fox, Sony and others… The lowest price you’ll most likely be able to find is about 38$ (25€) for a fresh, new release. And that’s prices!!! At local retail stores it’s a lot worse…

Since I love to watch movies in their native languages, I tend to buy the US release of most flicks, but unfortunately the superior format has the inferior region coding… so sometimes I sadly have to buy the expensive European release.

11. Bigdmelt12 on June 19th, 2008 11:58 pm

I would probably just ebay them mehar. If i couldnt find it i would pay some more, but you get to a point where your sitting there and band of brothers japan import is like 250 bux, or the sd dvd version is like 38 shipped and special edition case….same thing with reg hd dvds from the US, the price gets to a point where you ask yourself, yeah its hi def, but do i really wanna drop 40 on this when i can get like 7 other dvds?

12. Mehar Gill on June 20th, 2008 7:38 am

But suppose even the ebay price’s are jacked up, prime example is the Dreamcast BBA, it was sold in 2001 for $50, only 50000 or so were made, now they go for close to $300-400 a piece during prime seasons on ebay.

13. Bigdmelt12 on June 20th, 2008 12:07 pm

Not sure what the BBA is but idk, I think if they got that expensive Id look to something else for a hobby. Nothing with inferior technology or in hd dvds case, similar technology is worth an arm and a leg. I would probably go with gettin a ps3 and going blu before i start dropping a ridiculous amount. Say hi def in general phased out. I just wouldnt view in hi def

14. Mehar Gill on June 20th, 2008 12:37 pm

Oh well it dosen’t have to be HD DVD, suppose it was the very first Blu Ray released that was discontinued and no other HD version of that film is available. DVD had a ton of those!

15. Bigdmelt12 on June 20th, 2008 12:52 pm

yeah this is a bit off topic, but i thought you might enjoy this mehar. There is a discussion on amazon that opened my eyes to some real numbers that when by themselves look great but this is pretty interesting

Just read the first 2 paragraphs and comments under. Pretty interesting stuff

16. Mehar Gill on June 20th, 2008 1:17 pm

Those numbers aren’t anything new, but they are controversial. Since the format war started people had trouble deciding weather or not to include the PS3 in those numbers since probably only a fraction of those 6 million actually use their PS3′s to play Blu Rays casually.

17. Bigdmelt12 on June 20th, 2008 1:28 pm

I understand they arent anything too new. But some good correlations were made in the statement. I would be interested to know how many hd dvds there were per player.

18. Mehar Gill on June 20th, 2008 1:49 pm

I doubt many since I think only 2 million players were sold world wide

I was just looking at the enlarged screenshot and the movies really don’t seem overpriced, maybe American consumers are used to paying less for their HD movies because after the currency conversions and all thats about what were paying in Canada (excluding PST for those that enact it).