Sony Planning 47 Million Blu-ray Discs per Month Capacity Worldwide

Posted by Dave Cowl on June 12, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, PS3, Replication

There are a few interesting tidbits in this article over at the Inside Indiana Business website.

Sony is planning to expand its Blu-ray Disc manufacturing operations in Indiana, investing over $100M and creating 85 new jobs there.

Apparently the Terre Haute, Indiana facility currently produces 425,000 Blu-ray Discs per day.

Since Blu-ray Disc manufacturing began in Terre Haute in May 2006, the company has produced more than 100 million Blu-ray Discs in its manufacturing facilities in Indiana, Austria and Japan. By October, the three facilities combined will have a manufacturing capacity of 47 million discs per month.

Remember that Blu-ray Discs are not only needed for movies, but also the Playstation 3 games which sell in much higher volumes than Blu-ray Disc movies do currently.

1. Sony DADC Produces 10 Millionth 50 Gigabyte Blu-ray Disc
  2. Sony Unveils Blu-ray Recorders With “Toshiba Killer”
  3. First U.S. Indie Blu-ray Replication Plant Opens
  4. Michael Jackson PS3 Bundle Coming Soon
  5. Blu-ray Making Significant Advances in Japan

Comments

37 Responses to “Sony Planning 47 Million Blu-ray Discs per Month Capacity Worldwide”

1. Bigdmelt12 on June 12th, 2008 4:32 pm

thats good…now if they could invest a bit more in making affordable players to play those discs in, I would be more than happy

2. popeye9000 on June 12th, 2008 5:16 pm

Good luck with that, Sony.

“Have fun stormin’ da castle!”

3. Mehar Gill on June 12th, 2008 5:22 pm

Either way I doubt they will sell enough to use all of them.

4. Dave Cowl on June 12th, 2008 5:27 pm

popeye, what aspect of this do you think they need luck with?

5. popeye9000 on June 12th, 2008 5:43 pm

Originally Posted By Dave Cowlpopeye, what aspect of this do you think they need luck with?

What Mehar said: They can make them, but they won’t be able to sell much more than a fraction of them.

6. Dave Cowl on June 12th, 2008 5:50 pm

I am not sure anyone mentioned selling that many.

You (and Mehar) may recall when the HD DVD crew, particularly Microsoft types, called into question if Blu-ray replication could meet demand, stating that manufacturing capacity was inadequate. It was one of the (lame) excuses Paramount gave for choosing HD DVD over Blu-ray.

So the new trend for criticism is that they have too much capacity?

Is having more capacity than you absolutely need a bad thing?

Is there no reason to plan for the future?

Remember too that they have to press discs for Playstation 3 games, that sell in much higher volume than movie titles.

7. Mehar Gill on June 12th, 2008 6:35 pm

Dave: That was a joke, because the NPD numbers came out today

And no I don’t recall, corporations always say things, can’t take all of it into consideration.

8. Bigdmelt12 on June 12th, 2008 6:45 pm

Im glad they are stepping it up, but discs are not what im having trouble finding…there are plenty of those on shelves and online…whats not on shelves and online are decent priced fully compatible players…400 dollars isnt too high but its nothing to sneeze at either…as everyone has said but i will restate…get a player around 200-250 with full compatibility out before christmas, we could see blu ray take off

9. Dave Cowl on June 13th, 2008 12:28 am

PS3 beat XBoxm eh? It will be interesting to see how things play out for the year, especially with Mr Kim saying that PS3 is not viable or whatever he said a couple of months back… funny how these Microsoft people open their mouths wide only to have both feet fill the hole.

Yeah, the manufacturing ‘issue’ was the last bastion of hope for the nay-sayers – after BD50 actually worked, and PiP and BD Live were clearly on the way, basically the only ‘advantage’ HD DVD had was this conceptual manufacturing capacity advantage. It seems that BD has overcome that hurdle too, whether it was real or not.

As for players, it is kinda interesting that there is a shortage of players – I bet that they stopped making the older players but took longer to get the BD Live players working than they expected.

Still it is better for them to be right than released early and flawed like some of the first gen HD disc players…

I expect that they won’t get ‘cheap’ until the holiday season sales though…

10. Tyler Pruitt on June 13th, 2008 4:01 am

Yeah they must have needed a lot of capacity when they replicated MGS4, since the game is a BD-50…. and a blockbuster game at that.

11. Mehar Gill on June 13th, 2008 7:36 am

To be fair though Dave, Sony talked out of their asses for years now, remember how much the PS2 was going to deliver?

12. Dave Cowl on June 13th, 2008 10:17 am

TBH I never really followed that kind of news back in the PS2 days, I just played the games and enjoyed the system, so you will need to be more specific.

I am not sure though how the PS2 could have been much if any more successful than it was – just off the top of my head it was very successful..??

13. Mehar Gill on June 13th, 2008 10:34 am

Sony made a ton of promises about online interactivity before the launch of the PS2 so they could slow down Dreamcast sales. When the PS2 finally did launch it had none of the features promised, a few years later Sony said they were going to put those ideas to work with the release of the HDD, it didn’t happen.

Sony even fueled the fire that stated the PS2 could launch nuclear weapons

And of course their’s Sony saying the PS3 is capable of competing with the next generation systems.

Remember this ancient technology that once was loved, I think it was called the “PSP”, Sony made a ton of promises regarding things that would show up for it, only about 50% ever did.

Their are of course more examples but I don’t want to look for them right now since they range from documentary’s to news archives.

14. Mehar Gill on June 13th, 2008 10:38 am

Oh I almost forgot, remember when Sony told the public that developing games on a PS3 and then porting it to the Xbox 360 will make the Xbox 360 version much better.

As a computer programmer I can tell you that is bull shit.

15. Dave Cowl on June 13th, 2008 11:21 am

Well, many companies talk about projects and the reality is not all of them come to be.

TBH, Microsoft could wank on all they want about their products (and they do) – it is the negative campaigning that makes me mad, especially since it is total crap.

Are you saying that The PS3 is NOT capable of competing with the next generation sysyems?

How can you say that when it is beating the XBox 360 in sales?

Sounds like you have been drinking Mr Kim’s magic potions…

16. Mehar Gill on June 13th, 2008 11:35 am

Dude have you lived under a rock for the past year or so? The Xbox 360 and PS3 are now called Current Gen, next gen will refer to the PS4, Xbox 720, etc.

It beat it 2-3 months out of how many?

17. Mehar Gill on June 13th, 2008 11:41 am

Also Dave, all companies run negative campaigns, it’s just the way of life in the business world. To just pick on Microsoft is really unfair, I mean those “Get A Mac” ads are much worse, and full of complete bull to boot.

18. Dave Cowl on June 13th, 2008 11:43 am

I would consider the last couple of months to be most relevant. Living in the past didn’t work well for HD DVD… I imagine the same for XBox 360.

As for competing with next gen, I guess it depends a lot on when or what next gen entails.

You may recall that PS2 competed well for quite some time with XBox 360 and PS3 sales. There is a lot to be said for having a long life time for your system.

19. Mehar Gill on June 13th, 2008 12:14 pm

No what Sony said was the PS3 is powerful enough to match the capabilities of next gen systems which is were all the negativity is coming from. Sure the PS2 competed, highly due to singstar.

20. Dave Cowl on June 13th, 2008 1:15 pm

Well, the PS3 has been designed to be a big step over the PS2 in order for it to have a long life, just like the PS2.

The XBox 360 was pretty much a CPU/memory upgrade over the XBox and has already been revamped once to include one of the key missing features – HDMI. Add to that the capacity limitations of the DVD drive, the lack of a guaranteed persistent storage (HDD) and just general shitty design (RRoD issues) and you have a platform that will probably not last even as long as the original Xbox before needing replacement.

The PS3 will last way longer than the 360 as a viable system. When the next generation Microsoft box is released, given history, I doubt it will be anything spectacularly beyond what the 360 offers – it will probably mostly address the issues I mentioned and add more CPU power and more memory.

Then the generation after that will likely be right around PS4 time frame.

Whether the PS3 can compete against the next gen MS product remains to be seen – but I believe that it has to given the time frames.

And Sony knows that – and I guess their propaganda machine is starting early…

When you consider the architecture of the PS3 – which developers will take some time to get used to – I can see it being viable against the next gen XBox.

21. Dave Cowl on June 13th, 2008 1:18 pm

I do find it interesting that Apple has chosen to roast Microsoft in their ad campaign.

Which ones are ‘bull’? You know there are penalties for presenting incorrect information in advertising…

22. Mehar Gill on June 13th, 2008 1:52 pm

The Xbox 360 is a big step up, more floating points, bandwidth, etc along with updated parts. The DVD drive is capable with disk caching and such, a majority of 360 owner’s already have a HDD on their system those without are a very niche market. Many Xbox 360 developers have really pushed what the system could do on a single DVD, games like Mass Effect, Oblivion, Gears of War, etc are prime examples.

If you just want to look at it from the perspective you mentioned then Sony really didn’t do much to the PS3 other then a CPU/Ram. They had to delay the PS3 by a year to get the Blu Ray drive ready. And due to that year Sony lost millions, they were also on the verge of shutting down PS3 production altogether (similar to what Sega did with the Saturn) because they were losing so much money in it, to quote the execs “it was on life support”.

The moment Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo release their next generation console others will be forced to follow suite.

Microsoft won’t make just add a core or two to the current design and call it the next Xbox, they will make a custom chip like they did with the 360. Their is no way anyone in their right mind could think the PS3 will offer a comparable experince to any next generation console (aside from the crap Nintendo might put out).

Practically all of them and yes I am aware, the PC guy is obviously meant to represent Bill Gates. They tout how a mac can do all these great things when in reality Windows could also do all those things straight out of the box. I can edit videos the same way on Vista and a Mac. They make the PC look like a unreliable underpowered piece of crap when in reality they are more efficient and cheaper then a Mac is. Bill Gate’s as been pretty vocal about how skewed these ads are.

23. Dave Cowl on June 13th, 2008 2:23 pm

If the ads are not accurate I would expect to see lawsuits.

More bandwidth, floating points, etc and updated parts is hardly a great advance – it is simple evolution – just like anything in the industry.

Also, the widely parallel architecture of the PS3 is a major change in architecture. It is not just adding ‘a few cores’. As the developers get more used to the advantages of parallel computing I expect that we will see even more interesting game features moving forward.

“Many Xbox 360 developers have really pushed what the system could do on a single DVD” – you say that like they have a choice.

It turns out that the choice Sony made putting Blu-ray in the PS3 was a pretty good one. You have people backing Blu-ray because of the PS3 and now people getting PS3 because of Blu-ray. Similarly it was wise to have the HDD and HDMI from day one in every single PS3 – making a platform with features that developers can count on.

From what we hear from Microsoft, their gear will never be capable of playing HD movies from this now standard disc – but every PS3 owner since day one has that capability, including Bonus View and BD Live.

24. Justin Sluss on June 13th, 2008 4:23 pm

@Dave Cowl – “funny how these Microsoft people open their mouths wide only to have both feet fill the hole”

SO TRUE! My thoughts exactly

25. Mehar Gill on June 13th, 2008 6:12 pm

Meh what ever, we will argue this for a while, I mean people have been doing it on forums for years!

Dave: Microsoft will profit from those ads either way, since their business software is available on Mac’s now. But Apple should show some respect towards Microsoft, if it weren’t for Microsoft Apple would have gone bankrupt in 1998@

Well, at least we have games :)

26. Dave Cowl on June 13th, 2008 9:56 pm

Indeed – there are only really two games I spend a lot of time playing – and both are available on both systems…

Though I might end up playing MGS4 once I am done with GTA4…

27. Justin Sluss on June 13th, 2008 11:00 pm

@Dave Cowl – I’ve beat GTA4 once so far, started a new game gonna try to get a higher % completion… I have it on 360 and the XBOX Live multiplayer will not work for me… Need to get Tyler and James to try it with me in a private game… They both have it on 360

28. Dave Cowl on June 14th, 2008 12:32 am

I was playing tonight and it has been frustrating me to all hell… sigh!

29. Justin Sluss on June 14th, 2008 2:22 am

@Dave Cowl – Now you got me wanting to play… I just did 2 reviews in a row… Persepolis and Natural Born Killers. I need a break… Thank god I’m going to Vegas in like 10 days… hehe :)

30. Mehar Gill on June 14th, 2008 7:41 am

Are you guys talking about MGS 4 o r GTA 4?

31. Dave Cowl on June 14th, 2008 10:23 am

GTA 4. I did this one big mission and succeeded first try only to get killed leaving the scene.

Now do you think I can beat the mission again? Not so far… :(

Maybe the game has a ‘got lucky’ sensor! :D

32. Mehar Gill on June 14th, 2008 10:43 am

What mission is it? I might be able to help you out.

33. Justin Sluss on June 14th, 2008 11:12 am

@Dave Cowl – Dude what’s even worse than that… Is to get busted and lose all your weapons but still beat the mission… Especially if autosave is on

34. Mehar Gill on June 14th, 2008 11:18 am

Oh I thought you failed it, well when the cops chase you never let them catch you, it’s better to dies and keep your weapons then lose them all, especially towards the end of the game.

35. Dave Cowl on June 14th, 2008 11:30 am

I know what to do – I just keep screwing it up one way or another…

That said, it is helping me develop fighting skills that will come in handy later in the game I am sure..

36. Justin Sluss on June 14th, 2008 11:41 am