Rumor: Microsoft Will Announce Xbox 360 Blu-ray Drive Monday? Maybe Not..

Posted by Mehar Gill on June 8, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Xbox 360

Rumors are flying out this morning that Microsoft will be annoucning a Blu Ray drive for the Xbox 360 tomorrow approximately one hour before Apple’s WWDC key note. Apparently someone from Microsoft had leaked the following statement:

I‘ve got a close friend who works at Microsoft, previously with the HD-DVD division and now in the E&D division (Xbox, zune). I’m told MS will upstage Apple with a Monday 9am PDT announcement (1 hour before WWDC) via press release that the Xbox 360 will get Blu-Ray before Christmas. Price was “under the current Elite”, but i could get any more details.

If this is indeed true I am assuming it will be external just like the HD DVD add on was. If the drive is indeed internal the last statement bothers me, the price will be “under the current Elite” so one would assume over the current Premium SKU price.

[via CrunchGear]

1. Microsoft’s Kevin Collins Responds to Paramount Payoff Rumors
  2. Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive Hits $19.99 CDN
  3. New 16 layer 400GB Blu-ray Discs Backwards Compatible?
  4. Microsoft Releases Software Update for XBOX360 HD DVD Drive
  5. Panasonic Announce Final Standard Profile Player

Comments

43 Responses to “Rumor: Microsoft Will Announce Xbox 360 Blu-ray Drive Monday? Maybe Not..”

1. Joe Ross on June 8th, 2008 9:34 pm

FYI: This rumor got shot down earlier today, via a story at 4:30 pm on the Gizmodo website – http://gizmodo.com/5014393/robbie-bach-denies-blu+ray-xbox-and-zune-phone-but-hints-zune-platform-may-expand-to-other-devices

2. The Guardian on June 9th, 2008 4:48 am

I must have missed what exactly Apple is expected to announce?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see MS make it a built-in drive – try to boost overall console sales. After all, the PS3 is about to get a big boost in the next couple of days is it not?

3. Mehar Gill on June 9th, 2008 6:11 am

Probably the new iPhone, and another iPod iteration maybe.

4. Justin Sluss on June 9th, 2008 6:35 am

Man, to think… weeks ago Micro$oft was claiming Blu-ray was doomed and then the Market Share’s start rising and they totally change their stance… ROFL

5. Felix on June 9th, 2008 7:26 am

microsoft will be a complete joke if this rumour turned out to be true. just as someone said above, they just announced blu-ray is doomed. they will looked like a complete idiot.

6. Justin Sluss on June 9th, 2008 8:08 am

It’s not true…

Engadget just posted that a bit earlier and tons other sites reporting the same on Google News

7. Justin Sluss on June 9th, 2008 8:13 am

Then again, they could just be denying it a day before to add to the surprise… I’m not saying it’s out the question… either way Micro$oft is going to come out looking like idiots here…

8. Justin Sluss on June 9th, 2008 8:17 am

Felix, thanks for agreeing with me but try spell check next time man! ;)

9. Mehar Gill on June 9th, 2008 9:32 am

Justin: It would be a bad business move, if they had announced it this morning a hour before it would take away from a lot of the hype Apple wanted for their event.

I was personally expecting a price drop this week to coincide with the Metal Gear Solid 4 release in America, it just seem’s logical since their big name titles will start pouring out with the release of NG II.

10. Jonsson on June 9th, 2008 10:30 am

Miscrosoft will look much less idiotic than Toshiba with their “HD-DVD didn’t win so now where going to claim that upscaling DVD players are just as good” crap.

It would be a very logical move for Miscrosoft to just accept facts and cash in on Blu-ray.

11. Felix on June 9th, 2008 10:49 am

thank god it’s not true.
    @Justin Sluss: could you let me know which spelling is wrong?
    mind that I always use british spelling no matter what – I am not english native speaker. so the likes of “rumor” becomes rumour

12. Mehar Gill on June 9th, 2008 10:50 am

I highly doubt we will see a Blu Ray drive for the 360, maybe the next Xbox will have one because by then the read issue’s would be cleared up and it will allow for developers to harness the new resources.

Remember, Sony is also entering the digital video distribution service in a few months, their going to be fighting with Sony on two different ends. Blu Ray and the royalty rights will probably stop Microsoft from planning such a thing at this point.

13. Mehar Gill on June 9th, 2008 10:53 am

Felix: I think we was talking about your Grammar.

14. Felix on June 9th, 2008 11:08 am

@Mehar: I see…. yes. Embarrasingly, I often disregard grammar. :)

Also, digital distribution, whether it’s by microsoft or sony or any other companies, won’t take off soon. Majority of countries still use dial-up – the cost for broadband is sky-high in those countries. I can see microsoft includes any of optical disc drive of any form (BD or DVD) in their next console.

15. webdev511 on June 9th, 2008 11:40 am

It didn’t happen…yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually do an add-on.

16. Tyler Pruitt on June 9th, 2008 11:44 am

Too busy watching the 3g iPhone news….

17. Bigdmelt12 on June 9th, 2008 2:33 pm

I really dont think they would look that stupid. lol…plus what do they care if they same something and do something else, plenty of CE companies do that and nobody jumps on them. If they add a blu ray drive great. Opens more opportunities, if they dont, fine, stick with regular dvds or hope to go one day a blu ray player falls below 400 dollars that isnt a shitty walmart profile 1.1 pos.

18. Dave Cowl on June 9th, 2008 5:17 pm

I kind of enjoy the comments by Microsoft, that Blu-ray hasn’t ‘taken off as expected’

It took off a whole lot better than HD DVD did after all, so if it is not meeting Microsoft’s expectations, you have to wonder what their expectations of HD DVD were and just how badly those were met.

But I digress… when you are talking about a company behind the ‘success’ of Vista, Zune and HD DVD, along with the RROD on the XBox 360, perhaps it is best if they are not backing your format…

19. Mehar Gill on June 9th, 2008 5:28 pm

Dave: The Zune is doing pretty well considering it has taken in close to 14% market share in the United States alone (Just a few more days till I can buy one).

Vista is really it’s own thing, people are complaining about the requirements and all but the same people complained about XP. No doubt it will sell millions of copies world wide.

HD DVD is more so Toshiba’s thing then Microsoft, all Microsoft did was HDi and maybe some security measures.

I have a feeling Microsoft will face hard times when Bill Gates leaves, since 2/4 MGD exec’s are idiots (and I as well as 95% of the Internet community believe he was either a used car sales man or the guy from Predator) and just last week Steve Ballmer came out and said he wanted to kill Surface, the product that has spun off many iterations and will “stick it” to Apple at a time when they are pioneering the touch screen industry.

And I don’t think I need to remind anyone of the argument’s between Bill and Steve.

20. Belard on June 9th, 2008 5:48 pm

Zune? LOL – Zune Sales have always tanked, even the new improved current models are still selling badly. Currently as of June 2008 – Zune only has 4% of the entire MP3 Market. Micorosoft has sold 2 million Zuns since its 2006 release.

Apple has sold about 10.6 million iPods in the last 3 months…. Ouch.

Vista sales are not impressive. In truth, the only reason they have such high sales numbers is because that is all you can get when you go to Best Buy or whatever. Off the top of my head, 120million copies of Vista sold the past year… but XP has sold about 80million. And about 20~25% of Vista owners upgrade to XP. I and 2 of my clients are about to buy Lenovo ThinkPads – why? Because They come with XP… getting XP drivers from HPaq, Gateway and many Dells is a pain in the butt or impossible. We’ll see how WIndows7 does in 2009.

21. Belard on June 9th, 2008 6:04 pm

Opps – hit the wronh key!

Had MS announced Blu-Ray for the 360, it wouldn’t be very newsworthy compared to Apple’s revised iPhone. It’ll be like “err… okay.” IMHO – Blu-Ray for the 360 will most likely happen and it’ll be before Christmas. By 2009, Microsoft will be hurting to have a Blu-Ray 360 on the market… There are more PS3 sales over Xbox since the death of HD-DVD on a week by week…. about 25K per week. I am *guessing* that in 3-4 months, that’ll increase to about 40-50K a week.

PS: A friend of mine who I haven’t talked to him about Blu-Ray or anything else like it ever and not a videophile, told me he was getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray and to play games.

22. Mehar Gill on June 9th, 2008 6:17 pm

Belard: The PS3 has not out sold the Xbox 360, it did for a month or two but after that the Xbox 360 regained second place.

The Zune sales you are factoring in are world wide correct? Because for US only it was somewhere near 10-14%.

When I first heard this rumor I though Apple might have had some sort of Blu Ray announcement in the works,

Even XP sold slow at the start, the biggest mistake was games didn’t take full advantage of Vista over XP. On the business side companys were to cheap to have suitable machines for their clients so their adoption is either slow or nil.

Side Note: You can’t upgrade Vista to Xp

23. Dave Cowl on June 9th, 2008 8:54 pm

You can erase the computer and install XP.

Lots of people have got Vista and hated it. Hardware and software that used to work under XP can failed to work under Vista. Vista doesn’t offer enough positive to make the negative worth it.

As noted above, it sells because there is little to no choice these days. That is why people are buying Apples in larger numbers.

As for Zune – whether it is 4% or 14%, that is not doing well by any definition…

24. Justin Sluss on June 9th, 2008 8:58 pm

Vista sucks balls

25. Justin Sluss on June 9th, 2008 8:59 pm

it’s 11:58pm EST … I’d say NO is definitely your answer, Mehar

26. Dave Cowl on June 9th, 2008 10:12 pm

Tell us how you really feel Justin :D

27. Jonsson on June 9th, 2008 10:49 pm

I have Vista on all my machines. It works well and is certainly not slower or more unreliable than XP was. (In fact it’s more stable if anything).

Do not understand whay everyone is slamming Vista. Have a feeling it’s more political than anything else.

28. merrick97 on June 9th, 2008 11:33 pm

As expected, this rumor was garbage. Gizmodo’s credibility as a website was hurt even more.

29. The Guardian on June 10th, 2008 12:31 am

Mehar, the PS3 has outsold the 360 almost every single week except for the Halo bump last September.

And for Jonsson, it’s been proven that Vista can be as much as 50% slower for the same computing power compared to XP. Given all the built-in DRM crap they’ve put in it, that’s not really surprising. And look what happens if the WGA servers go down!

30. Tyler Pruitt on June 10th, 2008 4:12 am

I talked to a contact at MS, he said there is no way the Xbox 360 is getting Blu-ray anything.. anytime soon. I guess the Xbox team had nothing to do with the HD DVD add-on drive, it was developed by the HD DVD team at MS. (which has now been dissolved).

31. Jonsson on June 10th, 2008 4:53 am

Guardian.

“It has been proven”. A lot of things have been “proven” in various ways. That’s not to say that the “proofs” where actually that correct.

The bottom line is that none of my machines run any slower so you might say that for me it has been “proven” that Vista works really well. And some of my machines are not that high end either.

So I wonder what I do? Talk nicer to my machines than some people :-)

32. Tyler Pruitt on June 10th, 2008 5:04 am

I look at people that use Windows, the same way I look at people that drive huge SUVs…**Im glad Im not in their shoes**

/end elitists Mac user comment.

33. Jonsson on June 10th, 2008 5:32 am

Well tyler, I got a SUV as well and no, you do not want to know what the go-go-juice costs in Europe :-(

I’m still happy woth both Windows and my SUV. The latter keeps those crappy French Renault drivers keep their distance.

34. Mehar Gill on June 10th, 2008 6:24 am

I drive a SUV and have Vista :)

Jonsson: Monthly it did not outsell the 360, that’s where it counts, hence it did not overall.

35. Mehar Gill on June 10th, 2008 6:25 am

I checked my email and noticed I had 14 new messages, I got all excited until I found out 12 were ping back for this post :(

36. Jonsson on June 10th, 2008 6:46 am

Ehhh Mehar, I do not think I commented on any 360 sales. Did I miss something? I fail to see your point in relation to my posts.

37. Mehar on June 10th, 2008 8:43 am

Whoops, I meant The Guardian

38. Justin Sluss on June 10th, 2008 9:58 pm

Mehar do you drive around in a SUV using Vista on a laptop? That really erks Tyler! J/K :)

39. Justin Sluss on June 10th, 2008 10:00 pm

Felix: “they will looked like a complete idiot.” — Grammar as Mehar said

40. Belard on June 11th, 2008 1:18 pm

Mehar: No, since FEB of this year, PS3 sales per week have surpassed Xbox360 and its growing – especially the past 2 months. ITs a known fact. I did NOT say that PS3 has out-sold the 360! There is a 5.8million unit gap. If Metal Gear Sold 4 does for PS3 what Halo did for the 360 – it could be interesting. Point is, if a buyer has no preference for either one (Halo vs MGS4), they will most likely go with the PS3 since for $50 more they get more for their money.

- Yes, deleting Vista and installing XP is considered an Upgrade. Its a POS OS. It does nothing that XP can’t do (DX10 – okay, whoopie, but that is MS doing more than an XP issue). When XP came out – there wasn’t 20% user base going BACK to Windows98. (notice WindowsME was skipped) XP was a completely different beast from Win9x. Vista is a GUI skin change from XP, loaded with DRM and crap… so uh, who needs it.

- When I said “entire MP3 market’ – that means WORLD-WIDE.

41. Belard on June 11th, 2008 1:18 pm

Originally Posted By Justin Slussit’s 11:58pm EST … I’d say NO is definitely your answer, Mehar

LOL….

42. Belard on June 11th, 2008 1:27 pm

Originally Posted By Jonsson It works well and is certainly not slower or more unreliable than XP was. (In fact it’s more stable if anything).

Its not political. I’d prefered that Vista wasn’t the dog of an OS it is… make life easier. you know, less bug – faster performance, features that are actually usable, t hrow out useless old code.

Look at it this way. My spanking NEW Thinkpad with 1GB RAM will do things faster than its 2GB sister notebook with Vista. A typical notebook with Vista has 2-4GB of RAM, 200GB HD for $600~900. XP models have 1GB and smaller HD and yet sell for the same price (ugh). A $500 typical PC desktop has 3GB of RAM, a year ago typical low-end XP boxes had 512mb.

Sorry, a dual core CPU with 2GB of RAM shouldn’t be the requirement to open a web-browser and play solitare at the same time. (okay, thats an exaggeration but oh well). From experince, Vista sucks balls… I don’t have time in my life to wait for it. Longer to boot, longer to shut down, longer to move files, longer to unpack files, More clicking (OKAY) to do basic functions…

Check out this video:

Yeah, I’ve experinced that… 2mins to tell me it’s going to take 20mins to unpack a stupid ZIP file?! XP on the EXACT same computer took only 40 seconds. (I had murdered vista and installed XP). Notice on above video: The Vista PC has more memory and faster CPU…

Good thing about Vista: Makes it cheaper and easier to make a kick-butt XP system!

43. Mehar Gill on June 11th, 2008 2:33 pm

I don’t know what sites you read Belard, but it has not been consecutive, it may have been a once in a month occurrence but from February to May NPD has reported that the Xbox 360 has outsold the PS3 on a month by month basis, if the PS3 was outselling week by week then the month to month thing would make no sense.

PS3 56,580 50,968 46,636 43,581 197,765
    Xbox 360 49,771 47,773 55,508 60,272 213,324

Despite outselling the 360 two weeks in a row for May it couldn’t take the last two.