May Blu-ray Sales to Surpass 2007 Total

Posted by Dave Cowl on June 2, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War

We read over at Hollywood in Hi Def today a few interesting numbers on Blu-ray Disc sales.

The first interesting number – Blu-ray has sold over 11 million discs to date according to data compiled by the Redhill Group for Home Media Magazine.

The second statement is perhaps the most interesting though – projections based on preliminary data show that Blu-ray sales through May have already surpassed sales for all of 2007.

Also Blu-ray software sales in the first four months of this year more than quadrupled from the same period last year.

That puts all of the doom and gloom postings we have seen of late into some perspective!

The article notes that Transformers is officially set for September 2nd 2008, something confirmed by the press release at Digital Bits.

It is certainly interesting to see some real sales volume information, where we typically only get relative information and revenue numbers.

1. Blu-ray Disc Leads First Three Quarters of 2007 Almost 2 to 1
  2. Blu-ray Version Captures 38% of The Dark Knight sales on Amazon
  3. Blu-ray Backers Launch Promotional Campaign
  4. Iron Man Shatters Blu-ray Sales Records
  5. Are The Studios Lowering Blu-ray Sales Predictions?

Comments

15 Responses to “May Blu-ray Sales to Surpass 2007 Total”

1. merrick97 on June 2nd, 2008 12:55 pm

badass!

Certainly makes all those doom and gloom bluray haters look idiotic.

2. Mehar on June 2nd, 2008 1:03 pm

Not bad, good news for Blu Ray. These exclude games right?

3. Dave Cowl on June 2nd, 2008 1:57 pm

I believe these are movies.

Games have shifted over 10 times that of movies…

4. Dave Cowl on June 2nd, 2008 1:58 pm

Merrick, the doom and gloom posts were not so much inaccurate with respect to the numbers, just with the interpretation of the numbers.

Doing week to week or month to month comparisons doesn’t really make a lot of sense when trying to paint an overall picture…

5. Mehar Gill on June 2nd, 2008 2:52 pm

Merrick: UMD did strong for the first year and then tanked. I really hate doing predictions now, since everything I predicted on took a turn for the worst so I just gave up.

6. david on June 2nd, 2008 10:42 pm

comparing UMD to blu-ray is the epitome of an apples to oranges scenario. umd was a poorly conceived (almost laughable) niche amongst niches. exorbitant pricing, the ability to play on only one company’s console, and poor selection… anyone who ever started a UMD collection was simply not seeing the harbingers on the wall, to mix my metaphors…

and as far as empirical evidence is concerned… i work at a computer store, and when 50 year-olds and such are coming in and asking about the possibility of blu-ray playback in my company’s future models… you know that the format has already transcended the very modest heights that UMD scaled.

7. Dave Cowl on June 3rd, 2008 12:46 am

I believe that UMD had something around 500 titles listed at Amazon (dunno how many were real, etc) so in that sense it had as many as HD DVD ever had, roughly.

It also continues to get new titles, from Sony at least and recently from Viacom also.

The big problem with UMD was discs priced higher than DVD with less features. If they sold them for $10 per from the start I think it could have done ok.

Some of the discontinued titles still sell for $15 on eBay – there is still some demand for the discs for sure.

There are many more PSPs out there than BD players – though ‘movie’ attach rate expectations are pretty low I bet.

Anyways, I like my UMDs when I travel – it is a good portable movie option IMHO :D

8. Mehar on June 3rd, 2008 8:00 am

My UMD Drive broke so I Couldn’t watch my House of the dead :(

They also made standalone UMD players as well, and if I remember correctly Japan even had UMD PC drives.

9. Dave Cowl on June 3rd, 2008 10:13 am

UMD is certainly more prominent in Japan – titles like 300 and the Harry Potter movies can be got there for decent prices – damned region code!

10. Mehar Gill on June 4th, 2008 8:21 am

I could see UMD make a come back in America, if Sony reapplies the low price point test that they did in Japan. But I doubt Sony will use UMD for much longer, for their future products that is.

11. Dave Cowl on June 4th, 2008 9:45 am

We can see them moving towards Downloads to Memory Stick already, and one has to imagine that the Digital Copy from Sony Pictures at least will support PSP when it shows up.

I think that Digitial Copy could easily supplant UMD moving forward.

12. Mehar Gill on June 4th, 2008 3:23 pm

Thats true, what are your thoughts on the next video format itteration? I think we can all agree that Blu Ray will be the swan song for disc based storage mediums since their not that resourcefull compared to the alternatives.

I didn’t post about it but Yomiuri had a follow up to the Toshiba scoop where Atsutoshi Nishida talked about their upcoming flash advancement’s and their use for video.

“…we’ll be releasing a 256-gigabyte flash memory next year. This has a much greater memory than next-generation DVDs and can be used as a storage medium for TVs. “

13. Dave Cowl on June 4th, 2008 3:44 pm

I think that there is a good chance that the next physical medium will break from the optical disc for two reasons – capacity but more so interface speed.

Solid state would seem to be the way to go. Potentially the problem on the solid state side is the interface – the optical interface is nice in that there is no contact wear – for solid state devices there is wear on the contact interface to be concerned about.

In any case there are many possibilities. A number of the BD players already out there have SD slots and can play back the video from those. So conceptually you could release a movie on SD cards today and have an installed player base already.

14. Mehar Gill on June 4th, 2008 3:51 pm

Well wear won’t be a problem from what I have heard, suppose some sort of flash drive type concept is used. Microsoft said if you use a flash drive on a Vista machine and run Readyboost, the device will still last atleast 10 years. 10 years is also the average life span before a disc starts to degrade from what Ive been hearing.

It seem’s odd, if this concept is introduced it seem’s like their gonna have Nintendo DS type cartridges that your gonna pop into your player.

I guess we will indeed have a “harmony” in the industy.

15. Dave Cowl on June 4th, 2008 4:17 pm

I was more thinking about the wear and tear of insertion and removal.

I guess, as you note, there are a number of portable systems for music and gaming that have sockets that sustain many insertion and removal cycles in the lifetime of the product, so perhaps it is not that big a deal.

For playback only flash systems, read/write cycle wear is not an issue since there is no writing…