Wal-Mart: We’ve Got Blu-ray On Lockdown

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on May 23, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Retailers

On during a trip to our local Wal-Mart we noticed that they had tripled the size of their Blu-ray movie section. The weird thing is that most of the titles were locked up behind a glass case. This even applied to cheap Blu-ray titles priced at $14.99. Meanwhile they had $40+ TV shows on DVD that were not locked in a case (one must assume BDs have a big theft problem?)

Have you seen any other retailers implementing similar security methods on their Blu-ray movies?

1. Hey Wal Mart, Your Blu-ray Prices Suck!
  2. Paramount Re-Issued Blu-ray Movies Land at Wal-Mart
  3. Lionsgate Blu-ray Movies $10 Each at Wal-Mart
  4. Redbox Goes Blu
  5. Lawyers Gone Wild: Blu-ray Companies Sued Over Alleged Patent Violations

Comments

9 Responses to “Wal-Mart: We’ve Got Blu-ray On Lockdown”

1. JimC on May 23rd, 2008 10:27 am

Our walmart just tripled it’s BD offering as well as setting up a blu-ray demo display. None of the movies were under lockdown. Maybe it is up to the store manager based on risk of theft…

2. Kelly M on May 23rd, 2008 11:14 am

Probably just seperating them to keep people from buying them as regular dvds and then screaming at them when they have to return them.

3. Belard on May 23rd, 2008 12:31 pm

The LOCK-DOWN depends on the store/location. In my town in Texas, there are 3-4 different Wal marts I may go – depending on where I am. In the crap areas of town, lock down on ALL. In the best area of town, none.

4. The Guardian on May 23rd, 2008 2:25 pm

My local Best Buy had all their blu-rays in the individual hard plastic cases that were really annoying. They’ve since taken them out…

5. Justin Sluss on May 23rd, 2008 5:18 pm

Okay now that just plain pisses me off. I hate having to go ask someone in electronics to get a game out from behind the glass for me to check what HD resolutions it runs to decide on my purchase but I could only imagine how much of a pain in the ass this is going to be to see what bonus materials are included, what sound format used, etc. on the title you’re interested in purchasing. I guess it’s just going to make people do more research on sites like mine through Reviews to see what they should consider purchasing (asking to get out from behind the glass).

- Justin of HighDefDiscNews

6. Mehar Gill on May 23rd, 2008 5:59 pm

Justin: Don’t shop at Walmart, if they can’t secure their stock properly give them the finger.

I personally go to Best Buy and Futureshop (and occasionally Blockbuster) for all my electronic’s needs.

7. Justin Sluss on May 24th, 2008 5:07 am

Mehar: I’ve actually got into a verbal fight with one of the Wal-Mart electronics employees before. I verbally gave the guy the finger for being a jerk about getting a game out from behind the glass for me. Then he started to get all smart ass with me and acted like he was going to refuse to sell me the game. I’d loved to have made a big deal over him refusing to sale a game that was rated Teen to a 27-year-old. Best Buy is alright but their prices tend to suck just as bad as Wal-Mart’s from time to time on Blu-ray.

8. Mehar Gill on May 24th, 2008 10:09 am

I stopped shopping at Walmart after I got screwed numerous times. Ive bought a ton of missing/broken merchandise from them and it really is pathetic.

My friend bought his Xbox 360 from them, half the parts were missing and it was filled with socks!

9. drew on May 27th, 2008 10:12 am

@Mehar

“I went to Walmart for a 360 and all got were these stupid socks!”

That although tragic is seriously funny.

BTW the movies here in Vernon, BC are locked down too so I just told the employee that stocking them that way will prevent me from purchacing them.