7 HD DVD Movies Worth Keeping

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on May 14, 2008
Filed Under: Format War, HD DVD, Studios

1) Children of Men (from the opening scene on, this film will have you glued to your seat, and the HD visuals only help to immerse you in the dystopian future.)

2) Casablanca (one of the best catalog titles available. Not heavy on the “Wow” factor, but it’s incredible to see how this film bests many of the High Def titles released today.)

3) Zodiac: Director’s Cut (one of 2007′s best films, and one that was shot entirely in HD. Excellent set of special features.)

4) Transformers (Great “Wow” Factor, Incredible Auditory Experience)

5) Hot Fuzz (Same as above)

6) The Bourne Trilogy (Enough said)

7) Eastern Promises (stirring and disturbing. Cronenberg continues to deliver and so does this disc.)

If you already own these titles on HD DVD, we see little reason to pick up the Blu-ray versions if and when they come out (Hey Warner, where are the classics on Blu-ray?)

1. $12.99 Fox Blu-ray Movies At Costco
  2. Universal Pull: First Studio to Release 100 HD Movies
  3. Buy 2 Get 1 Free Deal On Blu-ray Movies, 109 Titles Included
  4. Hot Blu-ray Movies Under $16
  5. Vudu Gets HD Disney Movies Day-and-Date With Blu-ray

17 Responses to “7 HD DVD Movies Worth Keeping”

1. Mehar on May 14th, 2008 6:24 am

Their are way more then that, pretty much anything by Universal is a keeper just because of how dedicated they were 98% of the time.

The Thing, Shaun of the dead, Planet Earth, Willy Wonka and the Choclate factory, Star Trek, should be on the list in my opinion.

2. merrick97 on May 14th, 2008 7:10 am

Yeah, this list does represent the best available on HD-DVD. If Universal wants to impress the bluray crowd. The above films need to be VERY high on the list.

In fact, I think they could get away with merely porting over the Bourne films and Hot Fuzz.

3. webdev511 on May 14th, 2008 7:30 am

Yup, I have to agree. If you’ve got the discs and a player there really isn’t much reason to get rid of them and even less reason to replace them with Blu versions.

I REALLY REALLY hope Universal can pull off 100% ports (U-Control, menus and the like)of their HD DVD catalog to Blu-Ray. Well 110% because I’d like to see them up the ante with lossless audio. Anyone that’s struggled with a poorly executed BD interface will be in for a pleasant surprise.

4. John Zuern on May 14th, 2008 9:28 am

It’s not even funny how biased this site is towards HDDVD. At least other sites try to be objective after the “format war” is over, but man, this site is with it’s pathetic name is still licking its wounds.

5. Dave Cowl on May 14th, 2008 9:57 am

Eastern Promises and Bourne 3 are the only titles in the list with lossless audio. We have seen today that the Mummy movies will be DTS Master Audio – if the soundtracks are great on these titles, they all (except Casablanca) would benefit from a BD release with lossless audio.

@web – it sounds like U-control is also making it on the Mummy discs.

6. Mi on May 14th, 2008 12:31 pm

“if and when”?? No you guys aren’t melodramatic…

I agree with your point though, if you’ve got a working HDVD player and these discs, no point in unloading them and getting the BD of the same. Stellar discs all.

7. Ryan on May 14th, 2008 1:10 pm

I’ve never seen such level headed comments between users, wasn’t expecting it at a site called “format war central.” Even though the war is over, debates still get pretty heated. It’s refreshing considering I just stumbled upon this site.

Anyways, I just wanted to add that these are all excellent movies and definite keepers. Seeing as I own them all on HD DVD as well as a player, the only way I’d double dip is if the Blu-Ray counterpart is noticibly better to warrent to extra cost. I am curious why the list was 7… most the times lists are divisible by 5 (10, 20, etc). Lastly and in my opinion, I would’ve added The Matrix (or trilogy even) since I’m not sure if WB has announced a release date for the Blu-Ray version. Of course, many Universal titles as someone mentioned above. As for Paramount, I’d say Star Trek: Season 1 – seeing as the remastered season 2 is DVD-only, this could be telling that it may be a while (season 3?) before we get Blu-Ray versions. Great list and great comments though! Thank you to both the site and its users, I’ll be sure to come back.

8. Tyler Pruitt on May 14th, 2008 1:10 pm

Why hasn’t Warner released Casablanca on Blu-ray yet?

9. Ryan on May 14th, 2008 2:29 pm

I would have to say Planet Earth is one that should be on that list, esp since it was running <$50 near the end (still is I believe), so why replace it with a higher priced Blu version now? Also; pretty much any HD DVD owned is not worth replacing with a Blu version unless you have disposable income, because truthfully the prices are not worth double double-dipping, just to keep up with a format. I would say it safe to assess the titles leaving HD & making the rounds will only sell to those who either didn’t buy a HD player, or just passed on buying movies until the war was over.

10. Mehar on May 14th, 2008 3:06 pm

Tyler: It is

11. Tyler Pruitt on May 14th, 2008 3:15 pm

I want a release date ;)

12. Mehar on May 14th, 2008 3:54 pm

It was out for a really long time, unless their is a re release.

13. Dave Cowl on May 14th, 2008 4:26 pm

Casablanca was only released on HD DVD.

14. Mi on May 14th, 2008 4:32 pm

No clue. I think some of them they were waiting for profile 2.0 weren’t they?

15. Martin on May 15th, 2008 10:56 am

Children of Men has been out on Blu-Ray in Scandinavia since Nov 2007. I agreen it’s on of last years best films. Don’t have the Blu-Ray version though because local versions of HD films are about 50$ in Denmark.

16. FCEEVIPER on May 15th, 2008 6:41 pm

Batman Begins didn’t make the list??!!

What a shame.

17. Cozmo on May 21st, 2008 12:14 am

I have no idea how I’ve managed to have not seen Hot Fuzz yet. I gotta just make it show up here and convince the wife we have to see it :P