Blu-ray Market Share Falls Further Week Ending May 4th

Posted by Dave Cowl on May 12, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Studios

Well, Home Media Magazine has decided to change the reported information again.

With respect to HD DVD, it appears that the fat lady has sung and left the building. I guess we don’t get to see the market share from this time on and I will respectfully let HD DVD fade away with no further mention following this post.

But first a slightly reflective moment (skip over it if you prefer). It is interesting to me that while most of the arguments regarding HD DVD and Blu-ray were about the technical merits or shortfalls, and the role of the PS3, all of this was overshadowed by the content providers (which was something I believed from the start). After all, the change that made all the difference was Warner choosing a side. One could easily imagine that if the studio support was reversed, Blu-ray would have become a Sony exclusive format tied to the PS3, much as UMD is for the PSP, regardless of the technical limitations of the HD DVD format.

Toshiba obviously eventually became aware that their ‘cheaper hardware’ tactic was not enough and persuaded Viacom to take their side exclusively, but too little too late. It is pretty clear now that the BDA had used the studio support card to great advantage during the battle, including having massive sales to counter the HD DVD player sales and Transformers release events.

Content is key and always has been. Hopefully now that content does not have to be used as a weapon, we will continue to see high quality releases moving forward.

In any case, back to the numbers. Blu-ray was down a little compared to DVD, dropping to 5% in the Top 20 market share ratio. The revenue was down to just over $7 million for the week, down 23% compared to last week. DVD also suffered a revenue drop, though it was only 5% down on last week.

In the top 20 Blu-ray chart, the top title was The Golden Compass, with over 3 times the unit sales of the other newcomer 27 Dresses and 5 times the unit sales of I am Legend, which was the number three title. The top 5 was rounded out by Juno and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem. Over America continued to impress in the number 6 spot, perhaps helped partly by a sale price tag at Costco.

1. Revenues Up, Market Share Down for Blu-ray Week Ending June 15th
  2. Blu-ray Market Share Week Ending May 11th
  3. Blu-ray Market Share and Revenue Improved for Week Ending May 25th
  4. Huge Blu-ray Revenue Increases, Record Market Share for the Week Ending October 5th
  5. Revenues Down a Little, Market Share Static for Blu-ray Disc Week Ending July 6th

Comments

31 Responses to “Blu-ray Market Share Falls Further Week Ending May 4th”

1. Mehar on May 12th, 2008 6:56 pm

So are Blu Ray supporters worried at all that something may happen to Blu Ray if this trend continues?

2. Bigdmelt12 on May 12th, 2008 8:01 pm

I wouldnt be worried, but with the way the economy is, no mass adoption is going to happen anytime soon when u gotta drop 400 bones on a player

3. webdev511 on May 12th, 2008 8:44 pm

Even $300 Funai players at Wal-Mart aren’t going to help in this economy. I don’t think any blu-ray fanbois are going to get worried unless Holiday 2008 sales are flat.

4. Dave Cowl on May 13th, 2008 12:48 am

As long as the key movies get Blu-ray release, I don’t think that there is anything to worry about.

Also, those Funai players sound pretty lame to me… I would not recommend getting that sort of thing.

5. thomas p vinelli on May 13th, 2008 7:30 am

not a shock at all and i agree the economy is affecting everything.but lets not just single out blu-ray.all electronics will be affected.
    i think the holidays,will not be good this year.
    people just don’t have the money to spend on products they really don’t need.
    the other thing is we have 11 years of dvd and only 2 years of blu-ray and most of those 2 years was wasted on a war we didn’t need in the first place. @dave the funai players may be lame but they will have an a affect on the market.it would be nice if everyone could afford an 800.00 bd player or even a 500.00 player.it true you get what you pay for,but then again tell that to people who buy 30.00 dvd players that are still working fine so far.people like you and i are people that want movies with the best pq&aq out there.so were willing to spend the money to have it.right now most people don’t care.marketing will have to kick in high gear to get people to spend the money to get hdm in there homes.from what i understand the bda is going to do just that after all studio’s are releaseing titles so they can say all studio’s support blu-ray as part of their marketing…will see.

6. Mi on May 13th, 2008 9:58 am

I have a problem with the word “falls”, if you fall 1/16th of an inch, you don’t really call it a fall. Sounds dramatic though… Way to go FWC!

7. The Guardian on May 13th, 2008 10:01 am

These numbers will only become really relevant once all the major studios are releasing Day and Dates. At the moment we’re comparing apples to part apples without even really knowing how much of the part apples we have.

OK that was dumb sorry but apples to oranges wasn’t quite right :)

The Funai players are just fine for someone who doesn’t actually care that much. I still think it’s funny how many people there are who will plunk down big money (that they are borrowing even) for something they haven’t researched and just trust the sales guy who either makes commission or makes minimum wage in most cases…

I’d never buy one myself of course or suggest it to anyone, but it will improve adoption rates.

8. Dave Cowl on May 13th, 2008 10:34 am

@Mi: Perhaps you can suggest a better word for a 23% decrease. Fall seems pretty reasonable to me but I am open to suggestions.

I can see your point a little with respect to the market share, since the market share fall was only 16% or so (hard to say with such small numbers rounded to integers)… but keep in mind that a percentage point is quite significant at these lower numbers.

@Guardian: I agree that we need the Universal and Viacom big titles to hit both formats for a more reasonable comparison. At times where there are big DVD exclusives, we will see lower BD market share.

9. webdev511 on May 13th, 2008 12:20 pm

@Guardian

Yes Day and Date will help, but not if movies and player prices remain high in relation to consumer’s wallets.

Given the low number of BD currently sold, it only takes lackluster sales from one title and we’ll see a “drop”

10. Bob on May 13th, 2008 12:30 pm

Get those 2.0 players out and under $300 before Thanksgiving and Blu will fly off the shelves.

If they can’t get the player prices down it will mean another hard year for HD content.

11. Mehar on May 13th, 2008 1:34 pm

Don’t rely on the cheap players to much, remember how the cheap HD DVD players were supposed to sell like hot cakes? Plus the cheap HD DVD players had the full specs in them, the cheap Blu Ray players do not. I really don’t expect them to sell well either, especially if DVD tech keeps advancing, Digital Copy was a huge step up that probably helped increase sales for some titles.

12. thomas p vinelli on May 13th, 2008 6:47 pm

@mehar:
    the hd dvd players were quite a different case.
    those were a fire sale.
    people that shop at walmart will buy a 720p lcd hdtv,plus the cheap bd player and be happy.
    sell cheap bd players and they will buy!

13. Mehar on May 14th, 2008 6:22 am

No, they were released in October/November, their was a huge margin of time before any sort of fire sale would happen.

14. thomas p vinelli on May 14th, 2008 8:09 am

@mehar:
    but there was two formats fighting it out and as we know the two formats could’nt exist at the same time. by nov/dec the war wasn’t over,but the hand writting was on the wall.whats your point any ways.
    a low end bd player may not interest you and i,but think about the guy or lady thats not a big movie lover or could care less about pq,but has hdtv,a cheap bd player,that upconverts dvds,would be hard to avold.we now have bd players at low and high price points.i think we get so caught up with pq and aq and got to have the best,we forget theirs more people out there that have no idea about this stuff or have other things they are passionate about.the bda is targeting these kind of people not us, cause they all ready got us.low end bd players should prove to be a good thing.i’ll tell what, go tell your friend or anybody interested in bd to go out and spend 400.00 to 800.00 on a player and watch their eyeballs pop out.at some point the bda &the ce’s are going to have too bite the bullet.dvd took off only when the prices came down and thats whats needs to happen with bd.low end players will help get bd on the map

15. Mehar on May 14th, 2008 3:57 pm

Most of my friends already have HD DVD an Digital Download service’s (Via the 360) so unless a add on came out they wouldn’t be interested.

The average consumer who didn’t care about PQ and AQ would probably just buy a DVD upscaller for 1/3 the cost. Toshiba is really pushing their upconverters and they have good reason to aswell, since they are awesome!

16. Mehar on May 14th, 2008 3:58 pm

About my view: I was on the HD DVD side, and I will wait atleast a year and half or so before getting a Blu Ray player, because studios and manufacturer’s alike need a ton of time to get their shit together.

17. thomas p vinelli on May 14th, 2008 6:07 pm

i bet if these cheap bd players turn out to be good players and a good bd title comes out,you’ll bite.

18. Dave Cowl on May 14th, 2008 9:11 pm

Certainly for a lot of real enthusiasts, there is going to be one or two titles that will make it ‘worth the investment’.

Oddly for HD DVD I stopped buying them pretty soon after I got my player with the belief that I would eventually get the titles on BD (which I preferred). I guess I got lucky so far, but still we have yet to see how much of the back catalogue gets filled back to BD.

Paramount I think will release everything – Universal and even Warner I am not so sure about. It may take a long time before it seems commercially sensible to do some of the poorer selling HD DVD titles on Blu-ray…

I still have the HD DVD player and a handful of titles – some of which I will likely keep indefinitely…

19. Mehar on May 15th, 2008 5:40 am

Thomas: Why would I buy a incomplete Blu Ray player? Who cares about the cost, I’m comin from the HD DVD side, I am used to more then what is currently offered on Blu Ray.

20. Dave Cowl on May 15th, 2008 10:04 am

The Samsung 1500 (which is BDLive ready) is apparently going to be at a $350 price point – not much more than the Funai…

21. Mehar on May 15th, 2008 3:51 pm

It’s not just about the hardware, it’s also about the software.

22. Dave Cowl on May 15th, 2008 4:13 pm

What kinds of software are you referring to?

23. Mehar on May 15th, 2008 6:10 pm

Software meaning the movies, if it’s gonna take them a year to take advantage of the features, then why bother putting money in now.

24. Dave Cowl on May 15th, 2008 7:09 pm

What percentage of your HD DVDs ‘took advantage of the features’?

25. thomas p vinelli on May 15th, 2008 8:57 pm

@mehar:
    as far as i see may20& june is going to get busy for blu-ray movies titles.
    i don’tknow what you want for titles.
    btw i was also hd dvd supporter.looking back on the format war it is clear now that the industry wanted bd as the format to replace dvd.at the time i picked the wrong format,but i got over it,like an ex girl friend.i know how you feel.
    you have decided to wait to get into the bd game,i respect the fact that you are waiting.
    just one thing,keep in mind bd winning the format war is a global victory,so you waiting isn’t going to make any differece,unless a lot of people decide to wait.hey,i’m trying hard to talk you into getting a bd player,give me that…lol

26. Mehar on May 16th, 2008 8:38 am

You sure are :)

I’m good with XBLM and DVD’s until I am ready to jump onto the Blu Ray bandwagon. If The Great Escape, The Bean/Blackadder series/movies, the Jurrasic Park movies, and a bunch of others are released on Blu Ray then I will jump in a bit early.

27. Mehar on May 16th, 2008 8:40 am

Dave: Almost all had what Blu Ray is dubbing 1.1/1.2, I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say 15-20 percent, mabye more used the “2.0″ features. Paramount and Universal really did well with them, the Transformer’s thing was mind blowing, the Bourne release had potential had the format war lasted.

28. thomas p vinelli on May 16th, 2008 12:19 pm

@mehar:
    i’m sure and a lot of titles are coming out on bd.
    and good titles.its just a matter of time.
    it just seems to me that your trying real hard to justfy why your not buying into bd.hey if you don’t want to that’s fine with me or anybody here.
    why keep pressing your point,we get it.

29. Dave Cowl on May 16th, 2008 12:48 pm

@Mehar – I am guessing that your personal purchases lean towards the ‘techy’ titles, or you started buying discs second half of 2007 or later, since for the overall population of HD DVD, well under 20% have PiP, and much less have internet.

It was always one of the issues that irked me since it was often made a big deal of, but really most HD DVDs made no use of the PiP or internet features.

IIRC, Blood Diamond was one of the first internet enabled titles, and that was released July 2007, over a year after the format launched and a little over 6 months before it ceased development…

Granted in the last months of 2007 both Paramount and Universal made a lot of use of these features in the push to provide something unique in the format war. I guess if you starting buying HD DVDs late last year, you might indeed find that you own a good number with PiP and internet features…

30. Mehar on May 17th, 2008 8:38 am

I actually started early 07,

Thomas: Err I’m not, I am actually just answering your questions.

31. thomas p vinelli on May 17th, 2008 9:57 am

blu-ray is what it is right now,take it or leave it ,but i’m sure bd will get better all the way around