Blu-ray Exceeds 90 Percent of the HD Market Share

Posted by Dave Cowl on April 25, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Studios

hmm080420.thumbnail.jpgWith the latest Nielsen VideoScan First Alert Data for the week ending April 20 we see that Blu-ray Disc has over 90% of the HD Media market share for the first time.

Blu-ray also gained a point against DVD selling 6 percent versus DVD at 94 percent when comparing the top 20 titles for each format.

With the 91:9 market share ratio against HD DVD, Blu-ray also gained a point in the Since Inception market share, reaching 68% of the overall sold share.

Aliens and Predators dominated the top 10 titles, with Aliens vs Predator – Requiem taking the top spot, the new catalog release Predator at number 4 and the twin pack of Alien vs. Predator/Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem at number 5. A good week for Fox, who also had Juno at number 2, selling almost 82% of AVPR’s numbers.

Image Entertainment also did well with Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead at number 8 and also notable is the continued appearance of Over America In High Definition holding the number 7 position.

The top 10 was rounded out by recent releases I Am Legend, No Country for Old Men, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story and the hot selling catalog title 300.

Via Blu-ray Stats

1. Blu-ray Market Share Week Ending May 11th
  2. Revenues Down a Little, Market Share Static for Blu-ray Disc Week Ending July 6th
  3. The Week Ending July 20th Sees Blu-ray Market Share Down a Little
  4. Huge Blu-ray Revenue Increases, Record Market Share for the Week Ending October 5th
  5. The Week Ending August 3rd Sees Market Share Up a Little More

12 Responses to “Blu-ray Exceeds 90 Percent of the HD Market Share”

1. DavidB on April 25th, 2008 1:03 pm

2. Ryan on April 25th, 2008 1:46 pm

Is there no more news? I thought we figured this out weeks ago – I should hope the winning format would have 96% share continuously since no one is releasing or carrying HD releases.

3. Bigdmelt12 on April 25th, 2008 3:48 pm

I like this site and all, but if this is really relevant seeing as how basically all major retailers have removed hd dvd and if they havent there are like 2 movies. Market share of blu vs dvd ok. but this!

4. Dave Cowl on April 26th, 2008 12:12 am

Well, I found it interesting (while not relevant in a ‘win the war’ sense, it is still interesting to me at least) – but I guess nobody else did.

Of course the post also makes note of the Blu-ray top 10 and the market share versus DVD – essentially the details presented in the Home Media Magazine.

If HMM thinks it is still relevant, perhaps it still is… it will be interesting to see when they stop reporting the HD DVD figures.

I am guessing that as long as Warner continues to release new titles, they will still release the information… so another month perhaps?

5. bigdmelt12 on April 26th, 2008 12:22 am

aye sorry for being hard on ya dave…as an hd dvd supporter..just seems like an agonizing death…if i can get some money though i will soon be blue

6. Dave Cowl on April 26th, 2008 12:34 am

Hey no worries.

Personally I find it interesting the way things played out.

People were saying the Blu-ray would take this kind of market share percentage with HD DVD still in play – clearly that would not have been the case probably for all of 2008, considering what it has taken to get to this point.

I think it is fair to focus more on the DVD market share and top 10 moving forward, with less emphasis on what is more or less something of historical interest – it is hard to give up following the HD market share percentages after doing it for so long! :D

7. paulw on April 27th, 2008 6:30 pm

“Honestly, who REALLY cares about Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD any more? The market has spoken and other than HD fanboys and detractors is there really any point stirring up weekly flame wars in comments?”

Hardly. Sony and the studios have spoken. The public didn’t get a word in.

8. Dave Cowl on April 27th, 2008 6:46 pm

Can you elaborate on how it is ‘Sony’ that has spoken? Was it Sony that bought Blu-ray Discs?

As far as studio influence goes, I would personally say Warner had more say than anyone as to how this turned out…

In any case, the market share over 2007 is a measure of the public opinion and HD DVD was never the preferred format regardless of how you choose to measure the market share…

9. Ryan on April 28th, 2008 10:37 am

I tend to agree with Paul in his first paragraph, but you lost me when you said Sony has spoken. Warner definitely kicked off the beginning of the end for HD DVD, that and when Toshiba continued to make bad moves (word was they could have bought Warner & FOX’s support … but were outbid quickly), including their Super Bowl Spot (What a waste of Dough!). Also it should be pointed out that Universal & Paramount could’ve released some catalog titles, toward the final months, it was looking bare in the new release department.

10. Dave Cowl on April 28th, 2008 10:42 am

I found the lack of HD DVD releases in early 2008 to be kinda strange. Makes me wonder if they knew something we didn’t.

While we will probably never know exactly what went on behind the scenes, it seems that there was a lot of it!

11. DavidB on April 28th, 2008 12:10 pm

Note I didn’t say “public”, I said “market”. You can be a detractor all you want, but this “war” is over and Blu-ray “won”.

@Dave Cowl:
    There are two new “format” wars now to keep this site relevant (and I’ve enjoyed the site for quite some time thank you!). Blu-ray vs. DVD, and Blu-ray vs. DLC (downloadable content). I’m not sure there’s anyone like HMM tracking the second, or even how one could get a handle on tracking it, since there as SOOO many different formats for DLC.

12. Belard on April 29th, 2008 2:37 pm

I’m not sure of DLC is actually a format… its a delivery system. But unlike a phsyical medium, you get JUST the movie. No extras, no multi-audio tracks and overall – less quality because of compression. Overall, DLC is for lasy people who want to watch a movie (rental) and delete it… because a Long-term Licence of a DRM DLC movie is the same price or more than a regualar DVD.

paulw: I don’t work for ANY electronics company. I’m not even a huge fan of SONY products. But I do own some SONY devices but also Samsung, Toshiba, Dell, AMD, Intel, Pioneer, Brother, Panasonic.

It wasn’t SONY that did this… They did some good marketing moves, and from there the public choose how to deal with it – the PS3 helped a lot. Same with Toshiba.. they had a different track: Xbox 360 add-on and profit-loss selling $200 players.