Best Buy Starts Sending Out HD DVD Rebate Gift Cards

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on April 6, 2008
Filed Under: Format War, HD DVD, Retailers

bestbuygiftcardwtmk.JPGWe were very surprised when we found our Best Buy HD DVD rebate had arrived in the mail this soon. The amount we received was $150 ($50 for each HD DVD player), as we had purchased 3 different HD DVD players from Best Buy since the formats launch in April ’06. If you are a rewards zone member, look for your $50 rebate in the mail any day now.

We do applaud Best Buy for offering some kind of retribution for the folks that purchased HD DVD players from them.

1. Best Buy Extends Peace Offering to HD DVD Buyers
  2. HD DVD/Blu-ray Sunday Ad Wars Pt. IX

14 Responses to “Best Buy Starts Sending Out HD DVD Rebate Gift Cards”

1. Mehar on April 7th, 2008 9:50 am

Do you actually have to return the player?

2. A Double on April 7th, 2008 11:46 am

No. If you bought the player/X-Box drive you will get the points. If you have not received your points by the end of May give Best Buy a call. Don’t plan on using the points for more HD-DVD’s though since they cleared them all out of the store. I saw them on their site still but not at very good prices yet.

3. Jared on April 7th, 2008 12:12 pm

HD DVD owners picked and side and lost. They should not get ANY rebate for that fact. So sorry that you picked a side that lost, but that is life. Blu-Ray owners should get one as well for helping win the format war.

4. dan on April 7th, 2008 1:17 pm

@jared….get your head out of your ass. Its a good way for bestbuy to have money spent at their store, seemingly there arent many things that cost less than 50. Its a way that they believe if you bought hd dvd chances are you want hi-def so your going to buy a blu ray player…and I work there so Ive seen people say when I get my card I’m coming here to get myself a blu ray player. People like you make me laugh at the just pure ignorance you the way. Congratulations, you had nothing to do with winning the format war

5. Ryan on April 7th, 2008 1:17 pm

Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that – Blu Ray player owners can still walk into the stores and pick up a new release (or catalog) title. Best Buy is sending these gift cards out for those who may think to themselves “Well that’s the last new technology I’ll buy.” You should write to the DA and have them send you out a gift card if you feel that way.

@Mehar – You don’t have to return the player

6. Ryan on April 7th, 2008 1:18 pm

*Sorry that was the BDA, not DA. : )

7. Dave Cowl on April 7th, 2008 1:24 pm

I think it was to avoid any cries from HD DVD owners when they dropped the discs from the stores recently. They originally said they would carry the discs and now do not. So, this perhaps softens the pain somewhat..?

8. Joe on April 7th, 2008 2:50 pm

Got mine in todays mail (4/7/08). I purchased my player about a month before Toshiba announced they were pulling out. Got mine for $110 with the two movies in the box, got to pick two more off the shelf for free, and then there are the five more you had to mail away for. Now, they send me a $50 gift card! The way I see it, I got a new DVD player (I needed a new one anyways for my regular DVD’s anyways) and 9 HD-DVD’s for $60 when you factor in the gift card. It up-converts great and there are still a lot of HD-DVD’s out there (many at good prices right now). All in all, I think I came out ahead:-)

9. Bigdmelt12 on April 7th, 2008 6:21 pm

hey joe, Im with ya, I got my employee discount and all the same things you received (took some work), we came out ok…but I think all hd dvd’ers can agree, we arent on top

10. James on April 7th, 2008 8:16 pm

Why so serious, Jared?

11. Belard on April 8th, 2008 2:11 pm

Well – BB didn’t have to do this, but it’s good business to have done so. For those who have actually invested in the format with purchasing 2 or more players and dozens of titles ($1000~3000+) – the $50 is a drop in the bucket. For those who bought the $120 (give or take) player bundles – they made out pretty good.

Mehar – If you want, you can return the player to Best Buy, won’t give you anything for it. ;)

Wasn’t there a store that required you to return the player? Or was it CC that allowed full refunds at a certain time for the players? I know for certain that the limited time that Costco sold the Toshiba D3 (Limited to Costco / Sams) that those were returnable for a refund.

12. Ryan on April 8th, 2008 5:08 pm

Best Buy also has a trade in program via internet – you can get a quote for your player & all your software (haven’t seen anyone else do that yet …) and if you like the quote you mail it in for your gift card (no cash back as far as I read). They’re doing big things. : )

13. Jared on April 9th, 2008 2:49 pm

Cry babies that backed a losing format. End of story!!!!!!!

14. Rick on April 9th, 2008 2:59 pm

Amazon started a similar program. I got a coupon code for $50 off of a future purchase today. Valid through April 2009.