V for Vendetta Finally Coming to Blu-ray

Posted by James Segars on March 30, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Retailers, Studios

v4ven.jpgWhile we’ll all have to wait until July 8th to get their hands on a copy of Batman Begins, it appears that Warner Bros. feels our pain.

With a release set for May 20th — according to Amazon — the Wachowski produced, McTeigue directed flick, V for Vendetta is finally making its way to Blu-ray.

Despite the fact that WB has remained format neutral since the beginning of the format war, HD DVD was privy to a number of coveted high def titles, V for Vendetta included, due to their inclusion of the IME tech. Naturally, now that Blu-ray has been declared the victor of the high def battle, and the Blu-ray tech/profiles are up to snuff, it’s only a matter of time before WB fulfills their obligation to bringing these former HD DVD exclusives to Blu-ray.

Of course, we’re willing to bet that it won’t end there, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for a special edition Blu-ray of "300" to drop — teeming with new extras and the blue screen PiP feature — sometime in the not-so-distant future… it’s inevitable. Don’t you think?

Pre-Order, here.

Comments

10 Responses to “V for Vendetta Finally Coming to Blu-ray”

1. Mehar on March 30th, 2008 1:26 pm

Don’t worry, you didn’t miss much, the movie sucked! But the transfer was good, if the VC1 codec is used then I would recommend it just to show off your collection.

2. James Segars on March 30th, 2008 1:49 pm

Personally, I loved the film, and the TrueHD track was phenomenal.

I’m curious to see whether or not WB ports the TrueHD track, or if they instead opt for Uncompressed PCM.

3. Dave Cowl on March 30th, 2008 2:05 pm

A re-release of 300 is inevitable.

It will be interesting to see if they go beyond the ‘HD DVD release feature set’ though to capture more with the double dip.

4. Beta-guy on March 30th, 2008 5:20 pm

this is one thing that upset me about Warner was that they were ‘neutral’ but gave HD DVD exclusives, anyways if they do re-release 300 I hope they get rid of that grain everyone was complaining about, I haven’t seen the film yet but grain is irritating…

5. James Segars on March 30th, 2008 11:25 pm

Hmm, definitely no way around the heavy grain. It’s the director’s intention, as far as I can tell because the HD DVD/Blu-ray copies are identical to the theatrical experience I had.

Even if you could remove it somehow, it wouldn’t be the way it was meant to be seen.

6. Ryan on March 31st, 2008 9:59 am

The grain was intentional – and it looked phenomenal regardless.

Now we can see all the HD titles Warner never released (hmm, I wonder why?) finally hit Blu Ray because the profile is finally up to the standard HD was in … 2006?

Personally I can’t wait for the re-releases to start hitting real hard … “300″. “AvP”. etc, etc. At least with a format war consumer’s don’t pay the price for buying early, by seeing newer special editions come later.

7. James Segars on March 31st, 2008 11:20 am

Yeah, I know what you mean about the special edition treatment.

Despite the fact that I already have Batman Begins, V for Vendetta and 300 on HD DVD, should Warner give the later two the special edition treatment, I might be interested in double dipping. However, if they’re just porting the IME feature that I’ve watched already, then they’ll be out of luck, hehe.

Since the Blu-ray crowd has been waiting close to a year now for The Matrix, it will be interesting how Warner decides to play up the release for that particular “Holy Grail.” If I were calling the shots, I wouldn’t hesitate to release the films separately, alongside the Ultimate trilogy and drop the standard box. I feel that the sales for the Matrix trilogy were sub-par but only because the second and third film were bound to the vastly superior first film, thus weighing down the overall sales figures.

I say, allow the fans to choose which films they want to own, and put out one “ultimate” set for all of the die hard fans and call it a day.

Either way though, with millions of BD’s sold to date, The Matrix will fare far better now, then it did a year ago when it was released as an HD DVD exclusive, for the simple fact that there is a unified format moving forward, and that there are so many more players out there today, PS3′s included.

8. aguirre on March 31st, 2008 2:24 pm

hot DAMN this movie is terrible. though i was happy to see antony and the johnsons and cat power finally get some big screen play.

9. Ryan on March 31st, 2008 9:47 pm

Well said, James.

10. Belard on April 2nd, 2008 2:22 am

Well… according to this site, this maybe the last new HD-DVD Recorder/player coming to the market:

Don’t know about the price, but it should do well.