Playstation 3 to get BD Live Update in Late March

Posted by Dave Cowl on March 20, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, PS3

ps3.jpgSony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced that the next system software update for PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) computer entertainment system, slated for release in late March, will add Blu-ray Disc(TM) (BD) Profile 2.0 or BD-LIVE, enabling PS3 owners to experience interactive features, such as downloadable video content, ringtones, games, and more.

"With Blu-ray established as the high-definition optical disc standard, more consumers are ready to jump in and take advantage of everything the format offers," said Scott A. Steinberg, vice president, product marketing, SCEA. "Whether you want to download movie extras, send ringtones to your phone, or play interactive games, BD-LIVE will offer exciting new ways to enjoy a Blu-ray movie. With these regular firmware updates and future-proofed technology, SCEA is making the 10-year lifecycle of PS3 possible."

In conjunction with the PS3 firmware update, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) is pleased to announce two BD-LIVE enabled titles to be released on April 8 – Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story and The 6th Day. Both titles will include exclusive downloadable content that goes beyond what is available on the actual Blu-ray discs.

10 Responses to “Playstation 3 to get BD Live Update in Late March”

1. dan on March 22nd, 2008 11:38 am

glad to see 2 years later they finally caught up to hddvd tech.

2. Kevin Murphy on March 22nd, 2008 12:51 pm

It will take another year for standalones to meet both price & performance.

3. The Guardian on March 22nd, 2008 3:33 pm

dan, glad to see hd dvd never caught up in the areas blu-ray had a tech advantage.

and I’m not particularly glad or unglad to see the profile 2.0 compatability, I *AM* glad to see the resume feature (which I’ve badgered for on many times) and I’m still waiting for DTS MA…

4. Dave Cowl on March 22nd, 2008 6:47 pm

The resume feature is interesting in that it allows you to _remove_ the disc and still resume. It looks like it could be part and parcel of the ‘cataloguing’ system where the PS3 effectively keeps a note of the movies you have or have played (and maybe makes suggestions based on those). Pretty much none of the HD DVD titles resumed in any way shape or form and it was one of my issues with the format.

It is also interesting that Walk Hard will have downloadable content. I am not sure that any of the networked HD DVD titles had downloadable content? That said, I am surprised that they didn’t just include that stuff on the disc – it seems like having DL content for the sake of having DL content.

I am guessing it will be a while before this kind of feature is put to rational use and good purpose.

5. webdev511 on March 22nd, 2008 7:57 pm

It’s actually less than 2 years. If they don’t get the update to my PS3 before April, THEN it will be 2 years.

@The Guardian
    Keep holding your breath for DTS-MA. As far as tech, it’s too bad we’ll never know if TL-51 would have had any impact.

@Dave Cowl
    I never had an issue with stopping an HD DVD and having it resume.

Transformers had mondo downloadable content. IMHO GPS mode was the most interesting. Menu skins were, eh. The videos were hit and miss.

6. Dave Cowl on March 23rd, 2008 1:20 am

Are you saying your HD DVD resumed from stop, or you had no issue with it not resuming from stop?

As far as I know the HDi engine could not be just started anywhere in the stream, which meant no resume from stop or jump to time code. My A1 at least would not resume or jump to time code for HDi titles – it would for home authored titles.

Cool that Transformers had DL content – I hope the BD version maintains most if not all of the features of the HD DVD including online content.

7. Bigdmelt12 on March 23rd, 2008 9:51 am

Please list them out because Im pretty sure picture wise…you would not be able to tell the difference…50 gig disc…not even necessary yet, so do please explain these techs that hd dvd was trying to get too

8. Dave Cowl on March 23rd, 2008 10:30 am

A common and clear issue with HD DVD was the lack of lossless audio. When titles like Transformers, American Gangster and The Kingdom don’t have lossless audio, there is something wrong. In the case of the Universal titles, lossless is often used and was dropped from these titles during development.

Seems to me that the bitrate of HD DVD was never enough to support decent bitrate for the video as well as lossless audio and secondary video stream.

Warner on the other hand opted to bit starve the main video stream in order to achieve all three features on the same title. I hope that they do a fresh video encode when they bring Batman Begins, V for Vedetta, Constantine, etc. to Blu-ray

9. The Guardian on March 23rd, 2008 11:21 am

Bigdmelt12, as Dave said lossless audio is a biggie. And I’m also relatively sick of people telling me what I can and cannot see. It’s a simple fact for me that none of the dozen or so Warner discs I have (which of course have the ported HD-DVD encodes) can match the picture quality of the best Fox or Disney releases.

I’m not sure why you think 50gb is not necessary yet – I’m sure quite a few BD50s have been shipped completely full.

In my opinion, the higher bitrate and higher storage capacity are FAR more important bits of technology than the gimmick features like PiP and web connectivity.

10. dan on March 23rd, 2008 12:44 pm

@ the format war itself

Im sick and tired of being sick and tired