Paramount Cancels HD DVD Titles

Posted by Dave Cowl on February 28, 2008
Filed Under: Format War, HD DVD, Studios

Paramount.thumbnail.jpegWe read in the DVDtalk forums that Paramount is telling retailers that the HD DVD titles The Jack Ryan Collection, Sweeney Todd and The Kite Runner have been canceled.

Word is expected on Bee Movie and There Will be Blood soon.

I guess those who managed to acquire The Jack Ryan Collection before it was recalled have somewhat of a collectors item!

7 Responses to “Paramount Cancels HD DVD Titles”

1. Mi on February 28th, 2008 11:48 am

Wow, talk about ping pong. Wasn’t Jack Ryan announced for Blu-Ray and then canceled when they got the pay off? Then they released it on HDVD and realised that none of the featurs would fit, so it got pulled again!?!? Then it gets a date on HDVD again and gets canceled?!?! Yow! I only hope they go full circle and get a release date for old Jack on Blu-Ray in the next few weeks…

2. Dave Cowl on February 28th, 2008 12:02 pm

Yeah it was pulled on BD for obvious reasons and then pulled from HD DVD because the extras listed on the box were not on the discs (iirc). So that recalled version of the HD DVD looks to be the only version available or officially announced.

I am looking forward to the day when it is clear what Paramount IS doing moving forward, rather than what they are not doing…

3. Felix on February 28th, 2008 12:41 pm

setting the record straight, aren’t you paramount? you dumped us BD fans, and now you’re doing it as well to the format of your choice (HD DVD).

4. Dave Cowl on February 28th, 2008 12:53 pm

To a certain extent this choice was not made by Paramount. It is being made for them by the retailers and rental outlets that won’t order these discs even if they are made available.

5. Jesterrace on February 28th, 2008 1:31 pm

Keep in mind though that Bee Movie is run by Dreamworks Animation and they still haven’t made an official decision as of yet. I’m not saying they won’t go Blu but I think it would be entirely possible for us to still see it on HD-DVD.

6. burndive on February 28th, 2008 1:35 pm

I had placed an order for the AU version of this on DVDCrave (it came out to $40 USD including shipping), but then the format war ended, and I figured that I might as well wait for the Blu-ray version, so I cancelled.

Does this mean the Aussies don’t get their version either?

(Here’s the link, btw:

7. Jared on February 28th, 2008 2:46 pm

Dreamworks is in a no mans land at it is of their own doing. I don’t feel a bit sorry for them. They will go Blu eventually. I mean what other choice do they have???? Its all just a matter of time. Squeal dreamworks…..Squeal