New Line Folds into Warner Bros

Posted by Dave Cowl on February 28, 2008
Filed Under: Studios

newline.thumbnail.jpgDeadline Hollywood is reporting that New Line Cinema will become part of Warner Bros, and that Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne will not be coming along.

New Line will be operated as a unit of Warner Bros and maintain separate development, production, marketing, distribution and business affairs operations.

It is not clear if this will have any affect on the HD strategy for New Line (which was to drop HD DVD releases while Warner currently continues into May).

Comments

7 Responses to “New Line Folds into Warner Bros”

1. Beta-guy on February 28th, 2008 4:05 pm

what does this mean for the consumer? Why are they making this change now?

2. The Guardian on February 28th, 2008 4:40 pm

I assume it’s to save money… but I wonder what it will do for the kinds of movies New Line typically does…

3. Merrick97 on February 28th, 2008 8:14 pm

This pissed me off. New Line Cinema did as good a job as any studio when it came to making top quality dvd releases. Warner Brothers was never one of my favorites. Im now afraid that many of their titles will be Warnerized.

4. Tyler Pruitt on February 28th, 2008 8:22 pm

Say goodbye to DTS-HD MA on New Line titles….

5. Dave Cowl on February 28th, 2008 9:19 pm

I am ok with no DTS-MA, if they add TrueHD or LPCM instead.

Somehow I doubt much if any of this will change…

6. Felix on February 28th, 2008 9:50 pm

they said they maintains their own stuffs, am I correct?
    at first I was disappointed with the news, but seeing that it will maintain its own distribution, etc, it seems we’re not saying hello to Dolby Digital tracks yet.

7. Dave Cowl on February 28th, 2008 10:22 pm

With any luck, even Warner releases will now be targeted for the Blu-ray audience, with higher bitrate and lossless audio on everything.