Paramount Quietly Joins the Blu-ray Team

Posted by Dave Cowl on February 20, 2008
Filed Under: Format War

Paramount.jpegThe Hollywood Reporter is reporting what most believe to the the inevitable outcome of Toshiba’s announcement – Paramount will begin releasing titles on Blu-ray Disc (again).

This statement was sent exclusively to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday:

"We are pleased that the industry is moving to a single high-definition format, as we believe it is in the best interest of the consumer. As we look to (begin) releasing our titles on Blu-ray, we will monitor consumer adoption and determine our release plans accordingly."

It is not clear if the statement included DreamWorks.

I guess over the next few days Paramount will release more information regarding (re)releases, but it is nice to know that they at least noticed that there is one HD Disc format moving forward.

Via Blu-ray Stats

Comments

13 Responses to “Paramount Quietly Joins the Blu-ray Team”

1. Felix on February 21st, 2008 12:39 am

paramount…. it was not a free move…. we are still expecting apology (for dumping us, and not HD DVD), and that is all

2. Belard on February 21st, 2008 3:33 am

Yep Yep… HD-DVD was already in trouble back in AUG when they did this… it prolonged the war. Had they decided on themselves (not with payoff) to go EXCLUSIVE Blu instead – WB might have gone BLU before Christmas. Toshiba would have lost less money :)

Even if they stayed format neutral, that would have been more respectable.

Oh well… As he says “Now, the circut is complete”

PS: Hey Dave (if I can call you that hehe), if you’re going to be scaling up the Blu-RayStats site, you may wanna consider a bit more advanced forum module. The one from AVS is very popular and works very well. Of course, it doesn’t allow for quick postings from complete strangers – but if your site gets bigger and bigger, you’ll need that ability anyways.

3. The Guardian on February 21st, 2008 9:07 am

You’ll likely be waiting a long time for an apology.. this is how I expected it to happen, they won’t admit they made a mistake.

Now where’s Transformers and Top Gun for me?

4. Dave Cowl on February 21st, 2008 9:34 am

Belard: I am not sure I want to go as far as have a forum, but it is something I can consider. Maybe a smaller one where there is unlikely to be too munch moderation needed … :D

5. Belard on February 21st, 2008 1:10 pm

Of course… What I meant by the “moderation” is that it requires a log-in. But that one maynot be free. But this one is simple enough.

Yeah, Paramount won’t ever admit they screwed over a lot of people (Blu and Red) doing what they did. Fine, but we’ll remember ;) or a few years anyways.

6. Dave Cowl on February 21st, 2008 2:28 pm

It is relatively small effort to add a phpBB forum so I will hopefully have one set up by the weekend.

vBulletin is good but indeed costs $$$ so we can start with phpBB and maybe change if it turns into something bigger…

7. The Guardian on February 21st, 2008 6:05 pm

The nice thing about vBulletin is the scripts that will convert a database from another forum type. I’ve used vB on two of my sites in the past. On the other hand, phpBB is pretty good too.

8. Bigdmelt12 on February 21st, 2008 10:35 pm

i have accepted the loss of hd dvd, and im not going to sit here and defend it, but there is a lot of negativity flying around blu ray and the reviews movies are getting and updates and stuff…so i feel like paramount switching is a very small victory in something that needs to be polished tremendously before consumers jump into the market, and before a lot of me and my pro hddvd friends to invest in a blu ray player

9. Dave Cowl on February 22nd, 2008 12:33 am

There is no reason that the video encodes used for HD DVD can’t be used on the Blu-ray – that or better.

So be assured that anything Paramount releases on Blu-ray will look at least as good as the HD DVD and will probably come with the bonus of lossless audio that many of their HD DVDs did not have.

10. Jesterrace on February 22nd, 2008 2:04 am

The question I have is will Paramount re-introduce their early releases with the crappy MPEG2 codecs or if they will re-vamp them.

11. Dave Cowl on February 22nd, 2008 9:17 am

Good question – 75% of their releases were MPEG2.

Though 1/3 of those MPEG2 titles were BD50 which is not so bad.

All (3) DreamWorks titles were BD50, only one MPEG2.

My guess is that it will depend on the popularity of the titles. I personally hope they re-author for BD50 AVC + lossless audio for at least some of the old titles.

12. Dave Cowl on February 22nd, 2008 11:12 am

@Belard, The Guardian: The forum is up at http://forum.blu-raystats.com/

It still needs a little tidying but the basic structure is there if you want to join and play, etc. Have Fun!

13. The Guardian on February 22nd, 2008 4:15 pm

Cool, I’ll check out the forum.

I have nothing against MPEG2 personally, Ice Age 2 looks pretty good, and it’s on a BD25 too.

It should be about the actual quality not the perceived quality based on codec.

That being said, I assume the only reason anyone still uses MPEG2 is that it’s cheap and fast… hopefully in the long run AVC will get to that point as well.