Star Trek Season 2 Cancelled Not Delayed

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on February 18, 2008
Filed Under: Format War, HD DVD, Replication, Studios

strek2.jpgWe are going to give the real information on Star Trek Season 2′s delay cancellation. An inside source at Technicolor has informed us that a few weeks ago Toshiba canceled the work they were doing on Star Trek Season 2. Toshiba had been the one paying for the re-mastering/encoding of Star Trek: TOS, which was part of their exclusive deal with Paramount. Also part of the exclusive deal is that Paramount must use AVC in the encoding of the Star Trek Series, more specifically they must use Toshiba’s AVC encoder.

We think this was a way Toshiba could try to push their AVC encoder, which they had invested lots of money in.Toshiba has had a hard time getting studios to purchase their AVC encoder, since VC-1 is so popular with studios on both sides of the format war. A good example of this is Warner, who mandates VC-1 on all it’s discs.

Comments

24 Responses to “Star Trek Season 2 Cancelled Not Delayed”

1. Mehar on February 18th, 2008 2:56 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2. webdev511 on February 18th, 2008 3:00 pm

Ah CRAP! and season one looked SOOO good too. Come on paramount, pickup the pieces and finish it, even if it means releasing in BR.

3. Mehar on February 18th, 2008 3:05 pm

God dammit, I was just watching star trek Season 1 FIVE MINUTES BEFORE READING THIS!

4. Ralf the Dog on February 18th, 2008 3:11 pm

The big question is, “Can Paramount finish the deal with their own money, or are they excluded by contract?”

5. Mehar on February 18th, 2008 3:12 pm

Stupid move by Toshiba if you ask me, since the remastered episodes were also syndicated so they made money off that route aswell.

6. Belard on February 18th, 2008 3:56 pm

Sorry Mehar…. perhapsp they’ll come out with Season 3? :) Should you yell “Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!” “Nooooooo” is Darthy Vader at the end of Ep 3 – what a sith wimp!

Sigh… I’ve kind of explained mastering (production) to you before.

You still have to master than video for Media output. What they played on TV isn’t the same for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray etc. Theres time code, Commerical break points that are not in the consumer discs. Also audio codecs are different.

And the HD-DVD user interface has to be designed for each episoide… it takes people to create menus, add content, etc. Its not harry potter where HD-DVD content just **happens**…

It is not worth the investment of Paramount to make HD-DVD star Trek. Nor the Star Trek fan base. There are Star Trek fanatics and there are HD-DVD fanatics, doesn’t mean they are both the same.

So ONE MORE TIME:::

Toshiba / Paramount CANNOT USE the tapes/Discs from the broadcast Episodes on to consumer media! The codecs aren’t the same, the timing is different, the format is different. And they are not going to do like the OLD days like HD-VCR > HD-DVD recorder.

Each format requires its only production job for proper manufacturing. Why would Paramount want 3 teams making ST-TOS box sets on 3 different production teams? 2 formats will sell for years, while the HD-DVD version… a few thousand maybe sold to die-hard HD-DVD fans.

Look at ebay and other posts, HD-DVD owners are either selling off their stuff, keeping what they have until Blu gets cheaper and more titles are out and some are going to buy all the rest used/new for cheap. 400HD-DVD titles isn’t usable. I have over 600 DVDs in my collection. Out of 400 perhaps 15 or so titles I would buy. Why spend $5 on a movie you don’t even like? (Not saying YOU, but some HD-DVD freaks have posted about wanting to build a complete HD-DVD set)

I’ve done some Video editing and software production in the past for PRO work as well as hobby/volunteer lately…. so I am aware of some of the work involved in video POST production. $250,000 was an estimate that I would give on the low-side. But its a box set, sells for a high price and over a million people will buy it… on BluRay. Thats a far better return than a few thousand.

The POST production work they do on Blu would be 100% useless for HD-DVD and DVD.

@webdev511 : All of Star Trek will be on Blu-Ray. After all its one of their most important properties.

7. Felix on February 18th, 2008 4:12 pm

toshiba’s press announcement is expected 5PM Japanese Standard Time

8. Mehar on February 18th, 2008 4:44 pm

Bellard: Not everyone is selling off their stuff, only the idiots are, a movie is a movie no matter what format it is on. No doubt Microsoft will push HDi for as long as they can, so don’t rule it out just yet.

Have you seen the restored edition? How could you say they are not makig money off syndicating it? You won’t get the interface on TV but you will still get the restored print, restored audio (If you set up supports all that), and of course the redone cut scenes and what not.

9. Chris on February 18th, 2008 4:58 pm

@ Belard. What language are you speaking man, I have a very difficult time deciphering your riddles.

10. Mehar on February 18th, 2008 5:30 pm

Dude I gave you the 100K figure, its legit. I will try looking for it again. You need to get off that horse for a minute, movies sell on HD DVD good movie’s sell even better.

11. Belard on February 18th, 2008 5:31 pm

I didn’t say they were NOT making money off syndication – of course they are. The medium & format of each episode that is played on TV is not the same as HD-DVD or Blu-Ray or DVD.

Yes, it looks great, etc etc… What I said for the 3rd time now is that they are not going to spend the money to master HD-DVD versions – which means NOT taking the Broadcast cleaned up version and converting it HD-DVD.

Do some video editing and encoding sometime.

- – - -
    They are not idiots for selling their stuff, and those who are keeping it are not idiots either. Its whatever works for the individuals. If I had 100HD-DVD movies, I would most likely keep them for a long time. I still have my LD. If I only had 2-5 movies, it would be easier to get rid of it.

I was in Costco today, there is a huge stack of Toshiba HD players. A guy was picking it up, I told him that it was a dead format. A few seconds later, his buddy came up and said the same thing. He pointed to the price difference of the $440 Panasonic and the $120 Toshiba. I simply explained that Toshiba sells each player at a loss of $100~200 per unit.

12. Belard on February 18th, 2008 5:39 pm

Okay.. show me a legit source of 100K unit sales of Season 1. But you see, there is a difference from when that box set came out and today.

Oh yeah – HD-DVD is not longer supported by Toshiba, the studios or the stores.

Hence, maybe, just maybe 10,000 unit sales is possible of season 2 and 3.

Keep in mind – I do NOT actually own EITHER player at this time. And if a store had a deal of $100 for a Toshiba A3 + ST-TOS Season 1 for $100, I would NOT BUY IT. If Blu lost the war, then of course I’d be crazy to NOT buy such a deal.

If people like me are not willing to spend $50 for a dead format box set, how are they going to sell it for $200, which is the ONLY way to make their money back from it? I happily spent $55 on the Blade Runner Ultimate Box set. Watched all the EXTRAS and both the new Final Cut version and the underground test print version – took a few days. When I buy a Blu-Ray player, I’ll spend another $25 for the BD version without the extras.

13. Mehar on February 18th, 2008 5:56 pm

Star Trek Season 1 was on a combo disc, so not everyone who bought it owned a HD DVD player, keep that in mind.

Of course you won’t get the disc quality on a TV show, but it still looks and sounds much better then the original that is shown

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6517163.html This is the closest I coud find, you should have explained to that guy that the Panasonic won’t play his future Blu Ray releaes aswell.

14. Mehar on February 18th, 2008 6:11 pm

To keep with the mood of Star Trek Belard, ill say:

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

15. Dave Cowl on February 18th, 2008 6:14 pm

My Panasonic plays all discs I own both recent and older… what do you mean it won’t play future releases?

16. Mehar on February 18th, 2008 6:21 pm

It won’t play them with the latest features I mean.

Few questions for anyone who has answers, is HDi compatible with WMV HD? And suppose Sony gives into Microsoft about HDi, would the previous players be compatible with it?

17. Belard on February 18th, 2008 7:08 pm

@Mehar:

er no…. Here is the actual quote: “The label predicts that its first high-definition release, the Nov. 20 HD DVD release of Star Trek: Season One, will reach 100,000″

*predicts*

They haven’t sold well according to some other articles – hence the price drop of 50% which just doesn’t usually happen for a new release. But again, I think $200 is WAY to high for a season of any TV series. Many TV shows seasons are $20~30 on sale, $40~60 regular price.

And actually, HD media has BETTER picture quality than HD-broadcast/HD-Cable.

Keep your comments correct, first you say “panasonic won’t play future” then “won’t play with features” – What they mean is that you don’t get the FANCY looking features of 1.1, nothing more. Access to the movies and most bonus functions are fine.

DVDs evolved over time as well. Toshiba has had constant firmware upgrades, some with bugs that the end user had to go-back to older versions. Some of the players on the market can be upgraded to Profile 1.1 Most new players are 1.1. But hey, the first DVD players had problems as does Toshiba.

Here is a BAD video of Disney Blu-Ray: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/movies/problems-with-blu+rays-bd+j-spec-causes-headaches-for-early-adopters-266923.php

This guy spends quite a bit of time to get a patch to play a stupid Dice game?! How about just play the bloody movie?!

The problem looks more like Disney’s screw up… but also why even bother? And it’s not Blu-Ray/Sony fault on taking 5 minutes to start a movie, but it is like that on some DVDs and it DRIVES ME NUTS!

Simple way to not piss off people: Have easy access to PREVIEW or a quick menu option to MOVIE or Previews. 5 minutes?! no Chapter skip? Its stupid greed from the Disney (or other studio) producers. Stuff like that make me NOT want to watch a movie, and actually I’ve done that – I have 1-2 DVDs that are LOCKED into 5minute previews of crap I don’t want to see – I think I put them at the back of the shelf or something.

18. filmfreek on February 18th, 2008 11:43 pm

If Toshiba knew weeks ago that they were phasing out HD-DVD, and sold players and HD-DVDs using deceptive business practices (a.k.a defrauding consumers), are these grounds for a class-action suit?

For example, had I known about this weeks ago, I would have brought back the HD-DVD player I received for Christmas, rather than mail in the UPC code for 5 free HD-DVDs I may never receive.

19. Belard on February 19th, 2008 1:37 am

Sony has NO incentives for HDi on their discs. Its not in the profiles. No need for it. And why pay royalities to both SUN and M$?

20. rfield on February 19th, 2008 11:59 am

This article appears to be a little confused?
    Toshiba don’t even make an AVC encoder – Thomson do though (the owners of Technicolor).

21. Tyler Pruitt on February 19th, 2008 2:11 pm

rfield,

Toshiba does make an AVC encoder, it was used for Transformers and other Paramount AVC encodes.

22. Mehar on February 19th, 2008 2:14 pm

Belard: I told you at such short notice that was the closest I could have found. I already cleared up the confusion about the future proof thing.

Also, I think Microsoft would want them to choose one or the other, Microsoft is a valuable business partner the BDA could use.

23. Kirk on February 20th, 2008 12:58 am

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

24. Belard on February 20th, 2008 2:30 am

Well.. I googled it as much as I was willing to do so, I’m not seeing it. Whatever, sorry.

M$ wants the BDA to use HDi? Err.. this is one of the reasons FOR the format war. Sony doesn’t need M$/HDi. It adds cost to each player and of course would make every current and upcoming Blu-Ray player INCOMPATIBLE with HDi Discs. yeah, lets rip out all of our CODE for someone elses and pay even more roytalities. Uh no.

All we need is a nice looking, easy to get to and use menu system. Stupid toys just get in the way.

Could I say “never” to HDi in Blu? Well – I could, but that doesn’t make it so… but I seriously doubt it would happen. If HDi was added, the HD-DVD discs still won’t work anyways.