Alvin and the Chipmunks Gets Digital Copy on Blu-ray Disc

Posted by Dave Cowl on February 5, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, Studios

alvin.thumbnail.jpgWe read at Video Business that the April 1st release of Alvin and the Chipmunks will contain a copy of the movie that can be moved to and watched on a wide variety of devices, including Apple iPods, Mac computers and PCs.

Alvin and the Chipmunks, which generated more than $208 million theatrically, will mark one of Fox’s first titles in which the copy is also available on its Blu-ray version (as well as the special edition DVD).

Bonus features on both the special edition and Blu-ray versions include
the two featurettes "Chip-Chip-Hurray!" and "Hitting the Harmony."

Comments

9 Responses to “Alvin and the Chipmunks Gets Digital Copy on Blu-ray Disc”

1. Felix on February 5th, 2008 1:15 pm

theodore is soooo cute. like a fluff. I am going to get this title on release date. digital copy to my PSP, PS3, iPOD, and Windows Vista

2. Mehar on February 5th, 2008 6:18 pm

I don’t know what suprised me more, the fact that company’s try to profit off a classic franchise with a crappy movie, or the fact that such crap is produced on HD formats and it sells!

3. Dave Cowl on February 5th, 2008 7:01 pm

$208 Million is a pretty good box office haul… It was #10 in box office last year…

4. dan on February 5th, 2008 7:18 pm

I agree with you mehar. As of right now, I dont care which format you support, its not like their are huge blockbusters coming out right now. Some are coming out, American Gangster, and a couple others but nothing that is really going to get anybody crazy interested in these hi def formats. All of these small victories for blu ray with these small studios gains minimal customer support from people who already have players. I have an hd dvd player and im not some fanboy, but if these companies want HDM to take off, more movies are going to have to come out, not alvin and the chipmunks

5. Dave Cowl on February 5th, 2008 7:23 pm

American Gangster only made $130M at the box office. As far as box office earnings are concerned, Alvin was a significantly bigger movie than American Gangster.

It will be interesting to see how well that translates into DVD and HD Media sales…

6. dan on February 5th, 2008 7:49 pm

i feel like R-movies do struggle against movies rated G or PG sometimes just because of the amount of kids that insist on seeing it. Kids could careless however about HDM, so if you want to get the people who make money to actually join in on either format like i said IMO i just think that movies that pertain to a more teen to adult audience that can afford to jump into HDM should be targeted. I do agree AG didnt make as much but it was a good movie and there need to be more like it on hd outlets

7. Dave Cowl on February 5th, 2008 9:10 pm

Indeed. I am not saying Alvin > American Gangster :D Just in terms of business it was. Really the key target for HD Media should be people who care about movies and at least on the BD side, the PS3 owners. I think 300 has sold largely into that group…

8. dan on February 5th, 2008 9:43 pm

Im glad we see somewhat eye to eye, I prefer hd dvd but who wouldnt if they bought as many movies as I have for it lol, but in the end whatever format wins….chances are blu ray…there will be a time for me to get one, just not now when i want a standalone and all i can get is a ps3…300 is definitely that group, along with transformers and some other titles that really show of HDM

9. Mehar on February 7th, 2008 3:59 pm

Dave, their is a bigger age variety for a G rated movie compared to a R, plus remember the DVD quality rip that was released for American Gangster a few weeks before the theater release? Besides I think AG will sell better on HD then Alvin and the chipmunks will on Blu Ray.