I Am Legend: HD DVD/Blu-ray Created Equal?

Posted by James Segars on February 4, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, HD DVD, Studios

iamlegend.jpgHigh Def Digest is reporting on the full specs, and street dates, for WB’s I Am Legend, and despite what we had reported earlier, both high-def versions of the film appear to be created equally.

We’re happy to hear that WB isn’t slighting their HD DVD customers — with both releases receiving the same video/audio encodes, and identical feature sets — for no other reason to rub salt into a gaping wound.  Of course, the HD DVD version will be released three weeks after the Blu-ray version, but we’re willing to bet that at least a couple lucky HD DVD’ers might find a retail copy day-and-date alongside the Blu-ray release, should retailers continue to allow the HD DVD "invasion" to continue.  We’ll certainly be keeping everyone updated on that front.

It’s also worth noting that there is no mention of the aforementioned documentary, or the Cautionary Tale featurette, that were rumored to be Blu-ray exclusive.

Should further release details surface, and disparities arise between the two future releases, we will surely keep you informed.  As for now though, we can all rest easy, and go back to eagerly anticipating this high-profile release.

Read, here.

17 Responses to “I Am Legend: HD DVD/Blu-ray Created Equal?”

1. Merrick97 on February 4th, 2008 1:11 pm

I wonder what the chances are that the Invasion for HD-DVD appears in the HD_DVD Top 10 next week?

2. James Segars on February 4th, 2008 1:12 pm

That would be great. I did my part in picking it up. :)

3. Kris on February 4th, 2008 1:44 pm

I picked up the Invasion HD DVD last Tuesday and if Hastings screws up again, will pickup the HD DVD of Assassination of Jesse James tomorrow. Will for sure pickup the HD DVD version of I Am Legend now too if they are both equal specs.. I prefer the HD DVD menu/navigation system worlds better than that horrid slow crappy Java shit on blu-ray.

4. James Segars on February 4th, 2008 1:53 pm

Personally, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Michael Clayton day-and-date HD DVD. So long as they don’t start delaying the shipments, I can’t imagine copies of this, or any other WB titles, ending up on the shelves “prematurely.”

If any of you haven’t seen that movie, you should definitely check it out.

The same is true for Jesse James.

Both are exceptional films.

5. Merrick97 on February 4th, 2008 1:57 pm

Ill be buying the bluray version of all of them. :)

But its likely that the only way Warner can enforce the 3 week delay is by shipping the HD-DVD versions later, which I hope they start doing.

6. James Segars on February 4th, 2008 2:07 pm

I know why the 3-week delay exists, but if the war is indeed “over”, why hurt the HD DVD crowd, especially when the titles have already been pressed?

As for Blu-ray supporters, why relish in the 3-week delay for HD DVD?

7. Dave Cowl on February 4th, 2008 3:03 pm

Kris: Warner doesn’t use the horrid slow crappy Java shit on their releases.

The reason to support the 3 week delay is to help get this format war over and done sooner as opposed to later. It isn’t because of hate towards the HD DVD supporter… honest :)

8. Dave Cowl on February 4th, 2008 3:05 pm

With regard to ‘slighting their HD DVD customers’, it appears that in reality they are slighting their HD media customers by having features on DVD that are not on the HD releases – unless they have dropped the documentary from all releases.

I guess we will see when it is released what it looks like in its various forms.

Personally the only reason I would get the disc is to see the new ending since I found the one at the cinema disappointing.

9. Segarsj on February 4th, 2008 3:55 pm

I couldn’t agree more with the “ending” comment. The theatrical ending felt rushed and out of place. Here’s to hoping that the “controversial” alternate ending knocks it out of the park and ties the movie together effectively.

10. The Guardian on February 4th, 2008 4:18 pm

If the ending on the disc is the one from the book, it will be much better…

11. Merrick97 on February 4th, 2008 6:49 pm

Im not for hurting the HD-DVD crowd the same way Paramount hurt the bluray crowd, but Im in favor of phasing out HD-DVD to minimize the amount of customers that get fooled into thinking they purchased a format that is in it for the long haul.

Just an honest answer. Not trying to incite HD-DVD camp, but I think its the better thing to do.

I really think that Warner is forcing this 3 week delay so that retailers will in effect not even bother carrying the HD-DVD version. I asked my BB about Assassination of Jesse James and they mentioned the HD-DVD version was not in their system for tommorrow.

If you want to keep purchasing HD-DVDs its your money, but they wont be making HD-DVD players forever and all players eventually break.

What will you do then?

12. Jonsson on February 4th, 2008 10:55 pm

Agree completely with Merrick. Personally I would have liked if Warner dropped HD-DVD completely right at the announcement in order to speed up the end.

13. DS2 on February 5th, 2008 8:58 am

I’m a HD DVD supporter. I’ve enjoyed the format since I got in last year. The animosity I’ve seen on both sides(but I’ll be honest, the Blu side has always felt more immature, present company excluded) has been pretty disturbing.

That said, no player lasts forever, you’re right, but I think it will be a long time until I can no longer have a way to play my HD DVDs. Hell, my Pioneer LD/DVD Combo player from ’99 is still running A-Ok. And considering that the HD standard of PQ and AQ is virtually equal for both formats, there really is no “quality obsolescence” to be concerned about.

By the time I can no longer play an HD DVD, I think we’ll be well into the next format, whatever that may be. My bet is some sort of low-cost microchip format(similar to flash memory) that has no moving parts.

14. wysiwyg on February 5th, 2008 9:24 am

Glad it’s the same contents on both. I have the PS3, but if the war ends, most likely I have to say bye bye to those BOGO deals and will end up doing upconvert on cheap/onsale DVDs. Not saying high definition is not good, but for me, even if I make a decent salary, I find better use for the money than for a $25-35 dollar movie. I have a feeling HD media if it says at those price ranges for bluray player and bluray discs, it might end up like laser disc. The laser disc player my dad bought still works too, but that format definitely didn’t hit mass market.

15. Merrick97 on February 5th, 2008 10:21 am

DS2, I cant say I agree or disagree with you on which side has the bigger jerks, but I can certainly tell you that HD-DVD has plenty of jerks.

If you dont believe me go the engadget comments section and read comments by Nfinity and Truth Teller and you will truly see how this format war has brought out the worst in people.

As for bluray jerks, Im biased so I have a hard time seeing them. LOL

I can be a jerk sometimes, too. Ask James. He remembers my alter ego.

16. Ryan on February 5th, 2008 7:58 pm

If Blu comesout victorious only a few thigns are certain – first the HD DVD titles will be dirt cheap – which i would love, and buy in mass quantities. Second, all the great BLU/HD deals will cease. The only reasons BOGO and free BD with purchase of TV deals exist is to grab customers … Everyone should hope the war lasts a while longer. Besides who says a technology is obsolete when the discs themselves won’t go bad – and the players are mass produced enough for eBay to have them years to come. low priced HD movies would get anyone going – obsolete format or not.

17. Merrick97 on February 7th, 2008 5:34 am

This is completely false. HDM still has to compete with dvd, so you will see deals every so often.