Amazon HD DVD Sale: 103 Titles Included

Posted by James Segars on February 4, 2008
Filed Under: Deals, Format War, HD DVD, Retailers, Studios

amazon.jpgHD DVD is beginning to bounce back on the Amazon sales charts — with a total of six titles in the top 10 selling high-def titles — thanks to an incredible ongoing sale on Universal titles

The majority of the discs are $14.95 — combo discs are slightly more, naturally — which is an exceptional deal for HD DVD fans.  We tend to prefer these sales over BOGO’s because we can’t always find two discs out of the bunch that we’re dying to have — since we have so many already — and it’s nice to be able to snag an HD disc for the same price as an SD DVD.

If only HD DVD and Blu-ray discs were permanently at these price points, right?

13 Responses to “Amazon HD DVD Sale: 103 Titles Included”

1. Kris on February 4th, 2008 1:46 pm

Awesome, not bad for the “dead” format! I grabbed 3 last night, and will probably grab another 3 after payday! Been waiting for a few of those titles to finally go on sale for a long time now!

2. Jared on February 4th, 2008 3:18 pm

3. Jesterrace on February 4th, 2008 3:49 pm

Funny how when you get $15 titles for Blu-Ray everyone is like “Great deal” and anytime there is a deal for HD-DVD some idiot has to call it a fire sale.

4. Kris on February 4th, 2008 4:19 pm

No doubt! If that were truly the case, Blu-ray already had about 20+ fire sales just to try and keep winning with the Nielson numbers for every big HD DVD title..

5. Jonsson on February 4th, 2008 11:00 pm

Jesterrace, whether it is a fire sale or not I guess remains to be seen.

However the fact that “some idiot” will pop up and call it a fire sale could have something to do with higher sales, support for more studios for blu, fairly dissapointing figures for red and the general opinion by a majority of people that Blu is having the upper hand.

As for this particular guy, given the caps and the haha’s at he end I would guess he was just out to provoke. Not very a meaningful contribution.

6. Jesterrace on February 4th, 2008 11:32 pm

Fair enough but as has been pointed out by Kris the only time either format really sells well is when there is a sale going on. Only time will tell what will happen.

7. Si on February 5th, 2008 2:26 am

I wouldn’t characterize this as bouncing back, and think the figures simply reflect that a great sale is on, but… it’s really a great sale! It’s pretty amazing how hard some of the Amazon forum HD-DVD guys are working on their attach rate, and this is an ideal opportunity to round out the collection.

My guess is it’s just part of the ongoing attempt to halt the HD-DVD stats slump since Warners decision, instead of a fire sale. There’s a pressing need to work on those VideoScan figures.

8. Blue_On_Blue on February 5th, 2008 9:28 am

I can see why these titles are cheap, most of them seemed to be very lame.

Blue On Blue

9. James Segars on February 5th, 2008 9:52 am

I hope that you’re not referring to The Thing, else I will have to lay my vengeance upon thee. ;)

10. Ryan on February 5th, 2008 7:24 pm

Picked up two of my all time favorites; Daylight & Dante’s Peak (both $15). Also grabbed Scorpion King ($18) & before this sale officially started I got T3 ($20) & superman Returns ($15). Tempting since most of these flicks were about $5 more than their SD counterparts. Nice job Amazon!

11. Blue_On_Blue on February 6th, 2008 2:15 pm

@ James Segars

…no, no, James! I won’t dis a perfectly, well-crafted, emotionally-riveting, awe-gripping movie with stellar-like, Oscar-worthy performance with unending action like The Thing. I guess Iím spared from thy holy wrath? ;-)

12. James Segars on February 6th, 2008 2:36 pm

So long as you aren’t being sarcastic, hehe.

13. Blue_On_Blue on February 7th, 2008 7:01 am

@ James Segars

Sarcastic? Me? Mannn, I love that (cough!) movie.