Confirmed: HD DVD Clearance Was Circuit City’s Screw Up

Posted by Tyler Pruitt on February 3, 2008
Filed Under: Format War, HD DVD, Retailers

cchda3wtmk.JPG
It looks like the whole "HD DVD Clearance" thing turned out to be another Circuit City pricing screw up. Some of you might remember picking up the Matrix Trilogy for $19.99 in a previous Circuit City screw up. Others might remember the BOGOF screw up they had the week Transformers was released. We also remember their Gift Card screw up the week POTC 1 & 2 came out. I guess these are the kind of things that happen when you layoff a majority of your employees, then replace them with lower paid workers.

Comments

8 Responses to “Confirmed: HD DVD Clearance Was Circuit City’s Screw Up”

1. Merrick97 on February 3rd, 2008 10:00 pm

Toshiba also screwed up BIG time with their Superbowl ad.

Most people apparently didnt see it!!

How BAD is their marketing department

2. Tyler Pruitt on February 3rd, 2008 10:01 pm

It was right after the Halftime show, before the 3rd quarter started.

3. Merrick97 on February 3rd, 2008 10:32 pm

Didnt show in my area. I watched my DVR to be sure and no ad.

Im in the Houston area.

4. webdev511 on February 3rd, 2008 10:35 pm

It appears they didn’t buy a guaranteed nation wide slot. Either that or they did and someone else bumped them from it with a higher bid.

If you were in California you probably saw a LOT of ads for/against expanded Indian Gaming. There must be a lot of money in that business. How else could they afford all those super bowl ads in California markets?

5. Si on February 4th, 2008 12:53 am

What a disaster that ad was! HD-DVD, the look and sound of clearance.

6. Jesterrace on February 4th, 2008 2:19 am

Glad to hear that this has been clarified.

7. bob on February 4th, 2008 1:32 pm

I was wondering if I just happened to miss the HD-DVD ad. Orlando, fl.

8. Ralph on February 5th, 2008 9:59 am

I saw the ad in Connecticut. What a joke! They used the old ad they have already used and it wasn’t even in HD! The ad wasn’t even designed to promote new titles or anything, it was basically set up to show off the pricing on their player.

The people at the party I was at were discussing it and I got into the conversation about exclusive titles and Blu-Ray having 70% of the software after May. A lot of them didn’t know that and then they started getting pissed off at Toshiba for trying to sell a player that wouldn’t play most movies soon, and that people buying them won’t even know. Oooo, boy…