VideoScan First Alert Data Shows Another Strong Week for Blu-ray Disc

Posted by Dave Cowl on January 25, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, HD DVD, Retailers

hmm12208.thumbnail.jpgWe read in the new issue of Home Media Magazine that Blu-ray Disc had another strong week in software sales.

According to the VideoScan First Alert data for the week ending Jan 20, Blu-ray held 83% of the market over HD DVD’s 17%, roughly a 5:1 ratio. The Year to date numbers show Blu-ray with a greater than 3:1 market share and the numbers since inception creep up another step to 64%.

Also of note, the top 10 HD Media sales titles that week were are Blu-ray titles.

While the Warner news was obviously still fresh, this was the week that Toshiba halved the retail price on their players, indicating something I have said all along – cheap players sell players, not discs. Compelling titles sell discs – something that HD DVD was apparently lacking this year, with the HD DVD Top 5 featuring 5 titles from 2007.

1. Latest VideoScan Market Share and Toshiba to Drop HD DVD?
  2. HD Media Player Sales Numbers for Jan Week 3

21 Responses to “VideoScan First Alert Data Shows Another Strong Week for Blu-ray Disc”

1. Merrick97 on January 25th, 2008 10:22 am

Well said, Dave.

I cant wait to hear the spin for this.

2. Felix on January 25th, 2008 10:31 am

give it up already, HD DVD

3. Jonsson on January 25th, 2008 10:47 am

I wonder when Universal and Paramount reads the writing on the wall and stops this stupid format war.

Their incrdible stupidness is continuing to hurt, not only the customers, but also themselves.

Accept defeat and start to crank out Blu-ray discs so that the big bulk of the users starts to invest in HD.

It’s actually amazing to see over at the HD-DVD news site that these people actually posts as “god news” that (they think) the format war is not over. What are these people thinking :-(

4. Mehar on January 25th, 2008 10:57 am

I want to know what is wrong with Universal, Paramount, etc! THey have great movies in their catalouge, why aren’t they releasing them! Crappy movies like Mr.Woodcock, and Goodluck Chuck are making it onto the top 10, WHY AREN’T HD DVD SUPPORTING STUDIOS DOING THE SAME!

5. Dave Cowl on January 25th, 2008 11:03 am

That is a good question Mehar. It is interesting to see the Bee Movie advertising in HMM opposite the front page news. Not exactly a great showing for HD DVD there… not wishing to start any new conspiracy theories but you think there would be some mention or a picture of the disc or something…

6. Jonsson on January 25th, 2008 11:07 am

Whats wrong with Universal and Pramount?

I think (maybe it’s just wishful thinking from my part but…) that Universal and Paramount knows that the game is over.

Why waste money producing disks for a format that is loosing and only have a marginal user base which probably will not grow very much?

I hope they are just holding their horses (damage control) until they can get out off their HD-DVD commitments.

7. Mehar on January 25th, 2008 11:55 am

Jonsson: It dosen’t matter if its losing, they realize good titles will sell either way. I belive almost all of Paramount’s titles released after they went exclusive have sold over 100 000 copies. 100 000 seems to be a ideal number for sales in next gen media terms. Paramount and Universal will make alot of money either way, wheater they release it on a “dead” format or not.

8. Dave Cowl on January 25th, 2008 12:00 pm

Mejar: “I belive almost all of Paramountís titles released after they went exclusive have sold over 100 000 copies.” Does that include Zodiac, The Heartbreak Kid, Stardust, Arctic Tale, Hot Rod, Anchorman, Old School, Face/Off, Next …? The Paramount titles that sold over 100k were Transformers, and maybe Shrek 3. Can you present any other titles, along with evidence that they sold over 100k copies?

9. Mehar on January 25th, 2008 12:04 pm

Up until 08 that is, the number’s were released a while ago, at the start of 08. I will try to find them.

10. Dave Cowl on January 25th, 2008 12:05 pm

Zodiac is the only 08 title listed in my list. I would be interested to see the numbers, thanks.

11. Mehar on January 25th, 2008 12:30 pm

Im having trouble find the link, but their are some sales numbers that everyone does have info about. Like Transformers, Star Trek, etc. If I happen to find the numbers again, Ill let you know.

12. Jonsson on January 25th, 2008 12:41 pm

I’m not going to debate the numbers as such but investing in making a good HD master, good sound, the obligatory extras, packaging etc. for a format that still sells marginally compared to the total market volume (normal DVD’s included when making that relative statement), well I’m not sure it’s tsuch a god deal for them.

Personally I’m convinced that it is not.

Keeping a production line alive for a format that have a dubious future makes the people forking out the money for it nervous. That’s a fact.

If Paramount and Universal really believed HD-DVD had a high chance of winning, well then I would expect them to really “flood the market” with titles.

But right now, as far as I see it, both the figures as well as Universals and Paramounts actions speaks against that.

I still whish that the HD-DVD corner would give it up so that the industry could unite and concentrate on pushing out both hardware and HD content.

13. Mehar on January 25th, 2008 1:02 pm

The industry is united, its called DVD’s and digital downloads! And the lines used to make DVD’s are the same lines used for HD DVD’s since they use the same production lines, thats why the cost is lowered. So studios could use the same lines and not worry about it becoming a wasted investment.

14. Dave Cowl on January 25th, 2008 2:38 pm

I think if the studios had passed on some of the savings of the lower priced disc production to the consumer, the picture today may have been different. As it stands, which discs common to both formats being the same price, or more expensive on HD DVD. Their so called ‘cheaper disc solution’ was not seen as such by the consumer – and that is what matters.

15. Mehar on January 25th, 2008 5:08 pm

Dave, consider this, the stores themselves are buying the discs for a cheaper price then the consumer is. They only make the prices equal so they could profit off this format “war” for as long as they can. In reality, bestbuy could be buying HD DVD’s for only $15 from their distributors, but they are selling them for $25+ because thats how business works.

16. Dave Cowl on January 25th, 2008 6:12 pm

I think that the non-combo HD DVDs and BDs of the same titles from Warner cost Best Buy, Amazon, etc., exactly the same amount. I believe it is the studio that is collecting on the savings. I would be interested to see anything that supports your idea though, that the retailer is pocketing the extra mark up…

17. Mehar on January 25th, 2008 7:45 pm

My friend runs a video store, and he buys his HD DVD’s and Blu Ray discs from the distributors, he gets them for much cheaper then they are on shelves, he even cuts me in on the deals sometimes. I also know a few people from Best Buy that can vouch for the same thing, companies get their goods much cheaper then they are sold on the market. $15 was just a rough figure, not a actual number, just used it as a example.

18. Jonsson on January 25th, 2008 10:20 pm

Industry united around DVDs and digital downloads? You must be joking.

First of all, I believe we’re talking HD here. So the industry is NOT (yet) united altough it hopefully looks like it’s going in the right direction.

Digital downloads (in HD format) is just not an option. It would take me a week to download a HD movie. And besides I wouldn’t want it anyway. I want a traditional casing and a properly burnt disk to put in my bookshelf.

19. Dave Cowl on January 26th, 2008 1:03 am

The question is not that they are cheaper – of course they are. The question is, does the HD DVD of Blazing Saddles cost Best Buy more, less or the same as the Blu-ray of Blazing Saddles…?! The retail price and sale price are the same.

20. Mehar on January 26th, 2008 7:47 am

Then why would they sell something if they are just gonna break even with it? Lets go back a year or so, when it was confirmned their was a gap in manufacturing costs between HD DVD and Blu Ray, was it just coincidence that both would be sold at the same price, when costs were confirmned to be much lower for HD DVD?

21. Dave Cowl on January 26th, 2008 10:32 am

Ok, let’s break it down to keep it simple. Let’s say for HD DVD of Blazing Saddles, the disc costs $3 to make. WHV sells it to Best Buy for $15 and BB sells it to you for $25. For the Blu-ray the disc costs say $5, and BB also sells it for $25. What does WHV sell the disc to Best Buy for? Is it $15? Or more? The question is, does Warner Home Video charge Best Buy a different price for BDs and HD DVDs, or is the cost to Best Buy and the profit they make on each sale the same for each format?