HD DVD Makes Announcements – New Blu-ray Market Share Record?

Posted by Dave Cowl on January 16, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, HD DVD, Studios

cd-blank.thumbnail.jpgThis article at Hollywood Reporter seems to have good news for both camps.

It starts with a list of new HD DVD title announcements including Into the Wild, Things We Lost in the Fire and Bee Movie from Paramount/DreamWorks, and later The Kite Runner and The Jack Ryan Collection.

Universal announced American Gangster.

The good news for Blu-ray enthusiasts is last week’s Videoscan First Alert data which reportedly states that all of the Top 10 HD Discs were Blu-ray titles and that Blu-ray held an 85% market share, which I believe sets a new high for market share in any given week for Blu-ray Disc.

The article notes that the top HD DVD seller, The Kingdom, sold just 10% as many copies as the top Blu-ray Disc release, 3:10 to Yuma.

1. Blu-ray Exceeds 90 Percent of the HD Market Share
  2. Huge Blu-ray Revenue Increases, Record Market Share for the Week Ending October 5th
  3. Blu-ray Market Share Week Ending May 11th
  4. Revenues Down a Little, Market Share Static for Blu-ray Disc Week Ending July 6th
  5. The Week Ending July 20th Sees Blu-ray Market Share Down a Little

10 Responses to “HD DVD Makes Announcements – New Blu-ray Market Share Record?”

1. wreckedchevy on January 16th, 2008 10:40 pm

well duh on the numbers considering how low consumer confidence had to be last week after the shock of a lifetime… look forward to some more new releases though

2. Merrick97 on January 16th, 2008 11:57 pm

85:15 is many times worse than anybody predicted.

Thats a greater than 5:1 ratio for bluray.

I cant wait to hear the spin on this.

3. Ali on January 17th, 2008 4:39 am

There spin will probably be attach rates are important and how they ahve a higher attach rates. Pathetic!!!!

4. Ryan on January 17th, 2008 5:59 am

The numbers are likely low considering the (lack of) quality releases by HD DVD studios. I would have thought some catalog titles would have surfaced during the December/January/February months to combat the catalog releases on Blu Ray coming out. I have’t seen a new movie I would buy on HD DVD in a while – someone is F…ing up. I have been buying back titles that I missed previously (never picked up Goodfellas, Casino, Riddick, Blazing Saddles etc …)

5. Belard on January 17th, 2008 8:34 am

Considering that both 3:10 and Kingdom made about the same amount in the box-office (53m vs 48m) – that is very bad. Universal is thinking “you know, we could be selling more Kingdom discs in HD right about now”

If the market was 100% blu right now, That 10% could be 200~300%. But I think they know that some of these people are going to RE-BUY these discs…

85% market share… that’s BAD news for Toshiba. The 3 HD-DVD movie announcements from Paramount for low-performance movies doesn’t make up for it.

I don’t know a SINGLE person who saw “Bee move”, Incredables (saw it 3 times in the Theaters), Cars – yep, etc.

On another website – I’ve seen some posts from some HD-DVD owners in “shock” by the recent events… with “This is lies”, “we have a larger market share”, “Blu Ray sucks, period”, “I’ll continue to buy HD-DVD even if Toshiba loses”(Thats a funny one). I didn’t think it was worth my time to create an account and respond back with links and such to explain how HD-DVD doesn’t have market share. Oh, some HD-DVD owners in that same site have agreed that the their format is dead, but they won’t replace their current titles anytime soon.

Hey – I just found my FIRST Blu-RAY title I will buy! Wings of Honneamise! (Boxed with both BR and DVD. I don’t own either player yet)

- – - – - – -

Question: When this war is over, what format will this site talk about next?

Must keep these archives ;)

Hey, is there a dead-pool somewhere where we can guess when:
    a – Paramount jumps
    b – Universal jumps
    c – Toshiba raises white flag
    d – offical total count of HD-DVD players
    e – How much the players go after A~C has happened.

6. Felix on January 17th, 2008 8:38 am

give it up already, HD DVD…. next week’s number would be much much worse for you

7. Belard on January 17th, 2008 9:58 am

HD-DVD (while hopping on one leg):
    “It’s only a flesh wound!”

8. Dave Cowl on January 17th, 2008 1:00 pm

They really don’t seem to understand that this, just like the gaming industry, is content driven, not hardware driven. They need compelling titles and just like last year HD DVD seems to have basically given away the first quarter. Seriously, this time I don’t think they are going to bounce back. When Warner is the studio releasing the most compelling content for the format, they are in trouble.

9. Belard on January 17th, 2008 9:55 pm

Here is a good CNN video about Wal-Mart NOT selling HD-DVD in stores anymore. That is a BIG punch in the nose.

10. Dave Cowl on January 18th, 2008 11:15 am

I think he was meaning Target, not Wal-mart.