Warner Delays Invasion HD DVD by Three Weeks

Posted by Dave Cowl on January 10, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, HD DVD, Retailers, Studios

Invasion.thumbnail.jpgAs mentioned in their statement regarding HD DVD and Blu-ray, Warner appear to have moved the release of the HD DVD of Invasion (February 19, 2008) to three weeks after the Blu-ray release (January 29, 2008). I thought it was interesting that Warner announced that they would do this and can only imagine it is to ensure that format neutral owners buy the Blu-ray due to the earlier release date.

That said, we have heard that some Fry’s stores have had the Blu-ray discs available already, releasing them on the original release date of January 8.

Comments

11 Responses to “Warner Delays Invasion HD DVD by Three Weeks”

1. wreckedchevy on January 10th, 2008 11:45 pm

now that just seems pretty pathetic to me the whole world knows they are stopping support of hd-dvd making us 1 million hd owners wait it just stupid… obviously with the current state of the war anyone who is nuetral is going to go with the blu version anyways….

2. Merrick97 on January 11th, 2008 7:37 am

Warner announced to the world that they dropped HD-DVD. You should consider yourself lucky to get an HD-DVD version at all.

3. Merrick97 on January 11th, 2008 7:38 am

We werent so lucky for Paramount. Although I cant say I was truly upset about not getting Blades of Glory.

4. Ryan on January 11th, 2008 8:59 am

What cowardice – why not just switch immediately then? I am really only interested in “I Am Legend” from Warner … maybe it will grace both formats? Oh, and I guess the Batman franchise as well – likely won’t see that one on HD.

5. The Guardian on January 11th, 2008 9:44 am

It has nothing to do with cowardice, they are most likely contractually obligated to release on HD DVD (not exclusively of course) until May (hinted at in the Toshiba response to their switch)… but it doesn’t have to be Day-and-date.

Doing it this way will help guide the casual consumer towards Blu-ray, which is what they want.

6. Dave Cowl on January 11th, 2008 10:38 am

I think it is more related to contractual obligations than cowardice. Oh Guardian already said that. Batman is ‘no way’ and Legend will be a close call…

7. DS2 on January 11th, 2008 7:43 pm

From the reviews I read, that one’s a Netflix candidate anyway.

As for “I am Legend” you may as well cross that off. It’s a pretty sure bet Warner won’t put out any titles other than what they’ve already announced. At least we’ll still get “Twister.”

8. Ryan Akins on January 14th, 2008 12:04 pm

I didn’t mean why are they still releasing – it just seems to me when you are under a contract, you should honor the contract. Then switch when your new BD exclusive contract takes place.

9. DS2 on January 16th, 2008 2:41 pm
  10. Blue_On_Blue on January 30th, 2008 2:52 pm

Actually, who cares if Warner goes exclusively to Blu-ray. I have an HD-DVD player and I’m happy with the titles I have collected. What’s wrong with waiting things out until the prices drop so that us HD-DVD owners can invest in a dual player?

It won’t be too long that you can rent HD movies from satellite providers and save it on your DVR. In that case, it really makes the whole issue of the “format war” a bit mute, don’t you think?

11. Dave Cowl on January 30th, 2008 6:32 pm

You can already capture HD PPV onto DIRECTV PVR.

The quality of broadcast, especially satellite HD programming is not as good as Blu-ray or HD DVD.