Posted by Dave Cowl on January 4, 2008
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, HD DVD, Studios

warner1.jpgWe see now that High Def Digest is reporting that the studio took no pay-offs to exclusively back Blu-ray. In a post-announcement conference call, Tsujihara flatly denied rumors
that studio had accepted anywhere from 250M to $500M in exchange for
dropping its HD DVD format support.

The decision "was one hundred percent around what makes the most sense for the
consumer, the retailer and the industry. This was not a bidding war.
This was all about what was best, strategically, for us."

The plot thickens!

Comments

8 Responses to “Warner’s Tsujihara says: This was all about what was best, strategically, for us.”

1. DS2 on January 4th, 2008 8:01 pm

I really misjudged Warner Brothers.  The fact that they could withstand the horrible temptations of hundreds of millions of dollars of Toshiba’s money and choose the right format is simply astounding to me.  After that Paramount business, you know they were desperate to get a fat check into Tsujihara’s grubby little mitts if only he would say yes to red and only red!
    I have never in my life been so impressed with a Fortune-500 company that really, at the end of the day, isn’t all about making money and taking payoffs.  Kudos to them.

2. C on January 4th, 2008 9:32 pm

Warner won’t come clean on this, why would/should they? So how much money was thrown towards FOX? Anyone?

3. SunToucher on January 4th, 2008 10:06 pm

If it was never about the money and all about the choice I’m wondering why Warner didn’t go blu before Christmas. Does 1 month sales make that much of a difference for them to decide? I’m would think there are a lot of very cheesed off consumers who purchased HD DVD Players and/or movies out there at the moment. After several denials by Warner that they were staying neutralI must say I am somewhat disappointed on Warner’s timing for all this. To me it seems like they were trying too make a killing at the consumers expense. That is just my personal opinion though and nothing else. As per Tsujihara’s qoute:The decision "was one hundred percent around what makes the most sense for the consumer, the retailer and the industry. This was not a bidding war.
    This was all about what was best, strategically, for us." Seems to be contradicting himself here. Well Mr T was it really the consumer, the retailer and the industry or this was all about what was best, strategically, for us, "us" being TimeWarner. At least that is how I read us, correct me if I’m wrong. Regardless what happens, something else in the ongoing video wars will come along in a few years time that we can all spend our money… once again.

4. MI on January 4th, 2008 10:48 pm

This has been mis-reported by formatwarcentral.com Saddly this isn’t supriseing as thjeir facts are often way off base. In this case, not so much, but the fact of the matter is that Warner did NOT say " that the studio took no pay-offs" They said that "There is absolutely no incentive from either side that would have changed the decision we made based on what we were seeing in the consumer data". I don’t doubt they took whatever the Blu-Ray groups last offer was, but their decision was already made, and wouldn’t have changed if toshiba or microsoft offered them another 10 million. The difference here between Paramount and Warner is that Paramount looked the 2 bags of money and simply took the bigger one. Warner looked at the two bags of money, and looked at the decision that would make the best long term sense, and took the money from that side. As I’ve said elsewhere, if you decide to buy a car based on its technical merits, you don’t refuse the rebate they offer do you?

5. Dave Cowl on January 5th, 2008 12:10 am

Which aspect is mis-reported? The words "No Payoff for Move to Blu-ray" are a direct quote from the High Def Digest article.

6. MI on January 5th, 2008 10:54 am

OK, so they mis-reported it. You quoted them (their interpretation of what he said), not him. Which is an inherent problem in writing news stories from news stories, and may be the root of the issue. From the warner direct quote it’s clear that he was carefully wording his statement, but it seems clear that he’s not declaring ‘we didn’t get any money’ but stating ‘the decision wasn’t based on money’.

7. Dave Cowl on January 5th, 2008 11:52 am

Indeed – I will reword the story to reflect his statements rather than High Def Digest interpretations…

8. Dave Cowl on January 5th, 2008 11:57 am

Ok – I think that it now accurately reflects what HDD is reporting as well as what is quoted. Perhaps you should take your issue to HDD – they have always responded to messages when I have sent them…