And Everywhere that Warner Went…

Posted by Dave Cowl on January 4, 2008
Filed Under: Format War

… New Line was sure to go.

warner1.jpgIn this article from Variety, the fate of New Line (and HBO?) appears to be clear, stating that New Line will shift allegiance to Blu-ray only as well.

Also of interest, it appears that Content Agenda (via Digital Bits) is reporting Warner as saying that even with the $100 price advantage to HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc players outsold HD DVD players in December. And we already know that the software numbers were firmly on Blu-ray’s side for December.

So it seems that the winning December performance for Blu-ray for both hardware and software played a large part in Warner’s decision.

More as it happens…

Comments

6 Responses to “And Everywhere that Warner Went…”

1. C on January 4th, 2008 11:12 pm

WB stating that December hardware sales were a key factor is somewhat misleading, since they always claimed to be "watching Q4"…and there is absolutely no way that BD came close to matching the HD hardware sales for Oct.-Dec.

BD standalones outselling HD in December sounds pretty dubious as well. I’m guessing they are factoring in PS3′s as well.

2. Dave Cowl on January 5th, 2008 7:12 am

If you read the links it would appear that the NPD report disagrees, at least with the December statement. I think it is fair to say that HD DVD had to sell many more players than BD in order to sway things in their favour. To sell less in December is simply the wrong answer. Toshiba has always claimed that the huge advantage of HD DVD is the player cost. If this is actually not an advantage and BD player sales match or better the HD DVD player sales, HD DVD pretty much has nothing going for it.

3. Dave Graham on January 5th, 2008 2:03 pm

I must say I’m surprised at Warner’s decision to support a format that’s had so many flaws in the past.   I’m sticking with standard DVD.

4. The Guardian on January 5th, 2008 5:59 pm

I just don’t understand that sort of opinion! Sure I’m 100% Blu-ray now don’t even buy DVDs anymore but if HD DVD had won the war, I would have bought a player, despite the inferior specs. Better to have HD than not! Also DVD had way more flaws in the past than Blu-ray did… like the fact that no first generation and very few second generation players would be able to play a modern DVD! My first dual-layer DVD had a warning on it stating that it was "profile 1.8" or something and would not work in older players!

5. C on January 5th, 2008 6:07 pm

I’m guessing that $500 million soothes a lot of fears.

6. VHS vs BETA Dude on January 5th, 2008 8:01 pm

WB made the right choice I’m just glad it was sooner than later.
     Now I won’t have to list as many hd-dvd movies on eBay.
     On another note, How loud and how large are those "backup"
     lights going to have to be for Paramount Pictures to save face
     and do a 180 spin back into the right direction?
      And then there’s Universal……..