War Gets Nasty – Blu-ray Official Site Hacked

Posted by Dave Cowl on December 21, 2007
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, HD DVD

The format war got a little nastier today. It appears that HD DVD supporters have hacked the official BDA site so that it now shows the HD DVD PRG site instead. Personally I think that stooping to this level is pretty shameful – none the less I guess it demonstrates how strongly some folk feel about this whole deal.

13 Responses to “War Gets Nasty – Blu-ray Official Site Hacked”

1. James Segars on December 21st, 2007 2:55 pm

Yeah, I’m with you Dave.  It would infuriate me to see the official HD DVD site hacked, as I’m sure it angers the Blu-ray supporters.  It also  upsets me to see that the HD DVD folks have drawn the first blood.  This will definitely not end well.

2. Travis on December 21st, 2007 4:22 pm

ya thats pretty sad that they went to this level to do this as myself im with all tho i like blu-ray more its still sad to see them do this what are they trying to get out of this anyway? major war between both sides of the fans??

3. Ryan on December 21st, 2007 4:30 pm

Drawn the first blood? This is trivial – although I agree it’s a pretty low level.

4. Devils Advocate on December 21st, 2007 4:38 pm

There are things that piss me off, such as rdjam spreading rumors about bluray exclusives going neutral.  I actually think this is pretty funny.  I do have a feeling that the HD-DVD camp wont be laughing at the response, though.

5. Tyler Pruitt on December 21st, 2007 6:45 pm

This smells like a False Flag Attack.

6. SunToucher on December 21st, 2007 11:40 pm

Oddly enough that is what I was thinking, False Flag Attack that is. Regardless it is most inappropriate to say the least and hopefully they nab the scoundrels, whoever they maybe.

7. Roy on December 22nd, 2007 12:36 pm

First, what is the false flag attack? Secondly, i think HD-DVD did sink very low to hack the rival site. Personally i’m going with Sony and the Blu-Ray Disc’s, I’m also an owner of a PS3. Also i have heard that Blockbuster has decided to rent more BD’s then HD-DVD’s i think the HD supporters that hack the site are starting to get a little afraid of whats to come from Blu-Ray with it’s extensive storage space, and high def capabilities!

8. Ryan on December 23rd, 2007 7:43 pm

Ha. Roy; you know HD DVD didn’t hack the site, right?

9. Dave Cowl on December 23rd, 2007 9:24 pm

Ryan, who do you think hacked the site?

10. Tyler Pruitt on December 23rd, 2007 10:39 pm

Someone living in their moms basement, that gets a kick out of stuff like this.

11. Mehar on December 24th, 2007 8:03 pm

This hacking dosen’t represent HD DVD as a whole, infact, for all we know it could be a Blu Ray supporter doing it to give HD DVD a bad name.

12. Pravin on January 8th, 2008 8:22 am

Looks like the <a href=">HD DVD site has been hacked or is broken</a>. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s been hacked, especially on this CES week with all the other stuff for fanboys to be busy with. I can also understand if it went down due to a spike in visitors. We’ll find out later when someone has an official explanation.

13. Pravin on January 8th, 2008 8:24 am

Sorry, the link didn’t come through on that last comment. Try this instead:
    There’s a screen shot there in case you miss a chance to see the real thing over at