The End is Here … Again!

Posted by Dave Cowl on December 21, 2007
Filed Under: Blu-ray, Format War, HD DVD, PS3, Studios

blu.thumbnail.jpgAnd this time we have a winner! While these kinds of prediction articles can be a bit tiresome, this one from Hollywood Reporter comes with a few interesting statistics.

After the usual Playstation 3 dominance note, we are told that in Europe Blu-ray Discs outsell HD DVD in a ratio of 3 to 1. We also find that the title 300 is reportedly selling 66:34 ratio in favour of Blu-ray.

There is also an interesting note about rental, which we have not heard much about until now. Blockbuster reportedly said that Blu-ray Disc rentals are favoured by a 70:30 ratio over HD DVD rentals. All very interesting.

Please note that I believe that the end is nowhere in sight without a shift in studio support. Don’t shoot the messenger!

Comments

8 Responses to “The End is Here … Again!”

1. Tyler Pruitt on December 21st, 2007 11:03 am

I wonder what the ratio is for netflix rentals…

2. Chris on December 21st, 2007 11:23 am

Last summer I think Netflix announced their first numbers plublicly and said the blu-red ratio was about even (I’m not a fanboy — just passing along what I remember) things may have changed since then — anybody know?  With a link to a decent source? (unlike me!)

3. C on December 21st, 2007 11:46 am
  4. James Segars on December 21st, 2007 12:59 pm

Turning to the ol’ blockbuster rental lead, eh BDA?  Well that’s not surprising because of the fact that BD titles are in more Blockbuster stores.  It’s not a new concept in the business world that having your product available in more stores will move more units.  I know you’re just the messenger Dave, but crap-tastic announcements like that really blow my mind.  I too am interested to hear what the Netlix ratio is currently sitting at.  Chris here is the link to the EngadgetHD article about the HD DVD Netflix preference lead back in early October.

5. Dave Cowl on December 21st, 2007 1:50 pm

Certainly HD DVD people seem to like Netflix. I have noticed that the Hollywood Reporter has its bias. Though both sides tend to quote the numbers that support their perspective – it is only natural. All good fodder for the ‘format war’. Both the Hollywood Video and Blockbuster in my city have both formats. I would assume that they are comparing the rental rates in stores such as those rather than all stores – if they did all stores I imagine it would be wildly skewed to BD…?

6. James Segars on December 21st, 2007 1:54 pm

Yeah, it’s just a bit too foggy for me.  There is not a whole lot of cold hard facts, and that’s something that this format war, in general, is very short on.  :(

7. C M on December 21st, 2007 2:16 pm

The article actually specifically says 70% Blu at those stores which rent both…I agree we need a studio shift, or a major retail chain to shift, for any kind of resolution to begin.

8. Blue_On_Blue on February 26th, 2008 2:06 pm

Beating a dead horse, again? ;-)