Bourne Ultimatum HD DVD an Also Ran?

Posted by Dave Cowl on December 17, 2007
Filed Under: Format War, HD DVD, Studios

Bourne-Ultimatum.thumbnail.jpgOk, I know this post will be a little controversial so please consider it in a ‘light hearted, mischievous’ sense rather than a serious one…

So, has anyone noticed that the Bourne Ultimatum sales reports don’t have much of anything to say about the HD DVD sales?

The Video Business article doesn’t mention HD DVD at all. Then the Home Media Magazine article says "The results include HD DVD sales as Ultimatum was also released Dec. 11 as a combo with standard DVD".

Also released? Doesn’t Bourne 3 deserve a little better than ‘also released on HD DVD’? Does this mean that HD DVD sales for Bourne are not worth mentioning? Or am I just bored? Only time will tell…

13 Responses to “Bourne Ultimatum HD DVD an Also Ran?”

1. SunToucher on December 17th, 2007 8:30 pm

Your bored you say…well my driveway needs shoveling, as in snow shoveling? You feeling up to the task? ;) j/k I have kids, they can do it.

2. Devils Advocate on December 17th, 2007 8:43 pm

Dont be so sure, Dave.  Early buzz is actually that Bourne sold VERY well on HDM.  Maybe early buzz was wrong though

3. Kevin Murphy on December 17th, 2007 9:24 pm

Well, if you want some _real_ fun, put up a post about hearing a rumor that Fox was going neutral or something.

4. Andrew on December 17th, 2007 10:04 pm

They seem to have done well on Amazon. I don’t know how their self-made trilogy effects the count. But as far as Amazon it seems to have done better than both versions of Harry Potter and still beating the FOX BOGO Sale.

5. Devils Advocate on December 17th, 2007 10:49 pm

Edward Downer aka rdjam has officially hurt his credibility.  Even the HD-DVD supporters are calling his claim bogus. I would be severly disappointed if Dave, Tyler or James gave any acknowledgment of his FUD about a bluray studio going neutral.

6. Dave Cowl on December 18th, 2007 12:08 am

@DA – I believe Edward is R. Downer’s brother. None the less, this rumour is really the stuff of fantasy I am afraid to say. I actually thought Bourne 3 was a pretty decent flick – I am just confused as to why Universal is not making a big deal – or in fact any deal – about the HD DVD sales. Perhaps the data is not all in yet… but if they have DVD sales numbers you would think that they have HD DVD numbers too. Perhaps the ‘potentially exaggerated’ Transformers numbers have made them a little shy. I agree that it has sold well by all accounts on Amazon so it is anyone’s guess really… @SunToucher – you need to move to coastal California – nice weather here!

7. Aaron on December 18th, 2007 4:37 am

Shouldn’t we just wait for the numbers?

8. Aaron on December 18th, 2007 4:39 am

And 5.4 million is VERY impressive for a non-braindead summer special effects blockbuster.

9. Ryan on December 18th, 2007 6:40 am

The only thing controversial is that the sales of the trilogy Amazon bundle weren’t rang through until this week – making everyone who ordered it (it was ranked a solid 2 on Amazon for about a month behind Planet Earth for HD DVD) wait, and the numbers too. Now keep in mind that’s three skus for HD DVD for every purchase, that won’t count for that release week.

10. Kevin Murphy on December 18th, 2007 10:26 am

Ryan–That’s odd, because I received my Amazon trilogy last Friday and they billed my credit card last Thursday.  Pretty sure that the reporting period ended on Sunday.

11. Berry Zito on December 18th, 2007 10:48 am

You’re misunderstanding the sentence. The sentence is stating the the DVD numbers already include HDDVD sales because the HDDVD version includes a standard DVD version as well. Get it? 2 formats in one case. So they’re bundling the numbers.

12. Ryan on December 18th, 2007 9:13 pm

Weird Kevin – I preordered over a month ago and mine just shipped today. i got an email stating this about a week and a half ago … I had heard about others with the same issue, maybe you’re one of the first orders?

13. James Segars on December 19th, 2007 9:20 am

Still haven’t gotten my trilogy yet either…