500,000 HD DVD Standalone Players by the End of November?

Posted by James Segars on November 8, 2007
Filed Under: Format War, HD DVD, Retailers

hddvdlogof.jpgNot that it should come as any surprise to anyone, but the recent three day retail war over Toshiba’s entry level player, the HD-A2, has had a significant effect on the volume of players sold in record amount of time. Regardless of the details surrounding this unprecedented sale, one thing is for certain, the HD DVD crowd has managed to enlarge their standalone user base by roughly 30% in a single weekend, bringing them ever closer the 500k mark.

A recent article from Home Media Magazine crunches what few numbers are currently available to the public, and they have arrived at an estimated 420,000 standalone units sold since inception. An impressive figure, no doubt, but surely the sales won’t end there. As Thanksgiving approaches, so looms Black Friday, a day when we see traditionally see incredible deals on all sorts of high tech goodies. If you weren’t already aware, the A3 will be available at Sears for $169.99, which up until the $98.97 A2 madness seemed like a steal.

So, this leaves us, and many eager fence-sitters out there wondering what could possibly be in store for them this Black Friday? Will we see the same prices? Even further discounts? Of course, it’s all speculation at this point. Few, if any, of us can claim we saw the sub-$100 HD DVD players coming, and we think it’s safe to say that the HD DVD Promotional Group will surely be keeping us in the dark over the next couple of weeks leading up until the holiday shopping blitz. One thing is for sure, there is definitely blood in the water, the consumers are most definitely hungry for HD content, and it may just be HD DVD that can give it to them first.

1. NPD Says Intent-to-Buy Blu-ray Grows

Comments

18 Responses to “500,000 HD DVD Standalone Players by the End of November?”

1. C on November 8th, 2007 5:17 pm

Also, the Toshiba A3 will be available at HH Gregg for $149 on Black Friday.

2. James Segars on November 8th, 2007 5:32 pm

Another thing that’s worth noting is that there have been 210,000 HD DVD add-ons sold up until the end of September of this year. What’s important to note is that Kevin Collins has gone on to say that the HD DVD add-on alone has outsold the highest selling Blu-ray standalone player, by a very healthy margin.

Also worth noting is the fact that the Heroes HD DVD promotion is not included in the 210k figure because the promotion was run in the middle of October. If any of you have been following the weekly Videoscan figures you might have noticed that Heroes placed within the top ten selling discs across both formats for the first time since it’s release in August. This is a very good sign for HD DVD, and the HD DVD add-on, and it’s highly unlikely that the 210k figure from September maintained static throughout October, and into November.

Even with 210k add-ons sold, the number of HD DVD players in the wild has already surpassed the 500k mark. There’s little room to dispute the effect that the HD DVD add-on has on the format war because each player is bought with the specific intent to use it to play HD DVD content. If this number continues to increase, in concert with HD DVD standalone sales, the “1 million sold” milestone might not be too far off.

3. Actually James... on November 8th, 2007 9:42 pm

what Kevin Collins said was that the 360 HD drive has sold more than all of the BD stand-alones *combined*…so let’s say it’s roughly 200k, give or take.

Now think about that. How many manufacturers are producing BD players? Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp, Pioneer. Split amongst them, that equals dreadful sales for each of these companies. While I’m sure that Sony is helping to pick up the tab, they can’t be happy that their investments are failing that badly.

4. James Segars on November 9th, 2007 12:15 am

Oh, I was just trying to cover my bases, haha. I was pretty sure that he said that it outsold the BD-S300, the top selling BD standalone player to date.

I would definitely prefer that the sales for the add-on alone best the standalone BD sales, as I’m a die hard HD DVD supporter, I just figured that I would be safer going with the individual sales over the combined sales.

Do you have the quote from the article?

5. C on November 9th, 2007 7:20 am

Here\’s the article itself…

*In the future please post a link instead of the whole article, it took forever to scroll down the whole thing on my iPhone* (as well as HMM has republication rules)
    -Tyler

6. James Segars on November 9th, 2007 8:10 am

Thank you, C.

It most definitely says combined. That’s incredible. I had no idea that the Blu-ray standalone sales were that dismal.

7. Kris on November 9th, 2007 9:57 am

And now today, the CEO of Sony declares that the format war has reached a Stalemate! After the last 27 Victory proclamations from Sony, I am really surprised to see this. Wonder what happens next? Its quite obvious that Sony knows they wont be able to compete this holiday season with HD DVD for price.. I mean Toshiba sold nearly as many HD DVD players in 3 days that it took Sony 6 days to sell in spiderman 3 copies of blu-ray. That can’t be good for their format!

8. Dave Cowl on November 9th, 2007 12:24 pm

Do you have a link for this declaration Kris? That would make interesting reading.

9. James Segars on November 9th, 2007 12:27 pm
  10. Dave Cowl on November 9th, 2007 12:37 pm

I guess I am slow today :D

11. Dave Cowl on November 9th, 2007 12:42 pm

Oh, I saw the original article this ‘quotes’. I don’t recall him using the word ‘stalemate’ – I will have to seek it out again.

And changing the PS3 hard drive? How would that be affected by who wins the format war?

I think that the story has changed too much through multiple ‘translations’ to mean anything.

12. James Segars on November 9th, 2007 12:47 pm

It’s definitely possible that it’s been misconstrued, and I’m glad that you’ve picked up on the “hard drive” bit. No one else seems to be taking note of that!

What the hell does that mean?

I was talking to some people about it, and they suggested that he meant the optical drive, as opposed to hard drive.

That wouldn’t make sense either though. Last time I checked PS3 was touting the benefits of Blu-ray for gaming purposes.

I suppose he could be referring to a combo drive that would play both, but at that point it wouldn’t make sense for consumers who already own a PS3 to upgrade, and for people that don’t have one, they would be better off just buying an HD DVD standalone, right? That is of course assuming that they aren’t in the market for the PS3 at the time.

That’s the only way I can make sense of it, and even then it doesn’t make much sense.

13. Dave Cowl on November 9th, 2007 12:49 pm

Neither the Associated Press or Hollywood Reporter article quote Stringer as saying there is a stalemate.

The Hollywood Reporter doesn’t use the word at all, and the AP seems to have made that leap on their own accord.

14. Dave Cowl on November 9th, 2007 12:53 pm

Microsoft isn’t even considering an HD DVD drive for their console :D

I agree that the only possible translation for what he said is the inclusion of a dual format drive some time in the future.

For what it is worth, the only thing I see making this war anything but a stalemate would be for Warner (or Universal) to drop HD DVD. If Universal goes neutral, I think we would see both in the marketplace still.

If Warner drop BD I see it as a split support situation where a dual player is the obvious solution…

Though I have probably said that before… :D

15. James Segars on November 9th, 2007 12:58 pm

I don’t know. It’s still a bit too early to tell.

I personally think that advanced interactivity/connectivity will really take the center stage soon enough as HDi, and the advanced interactivity consortium really take off and fully explore the potential for next-gen media interactivity.

We have to remember that all of the interactive features are in their most infantile stages at this point.

It will be really interesting to see what they come out with in the next year because we’ve seen a lot of progression in 2007 so far.

16. Kris on November 9th, 2007 1:11 pm

I think this quote from the article speaks for itself…
    “It doesn’t mean as much as all that,” Stringer said. He added that he believed there was an opportunity of uniting the two camps under one format before he became CEO, and he wishes he could travel back in time to make that happen.”
    If Sony felt they were winning this thing at this point in time, he would not say he wished he could travel back in time, I think that shows nervousness of the HD DVD momentum the last few months. Dave, your right, while every article mentions the word ‘stalemate’ I do not see it mentioned in any of his mentioned quotes. But he still certainly gives the impression that things aren’t going good for Blu-ray since Paramount dropped them.

17. Dave Cowl on November 9th, 2007 1:17 pm

I bet both sides wish they could travel back in time and avoid all this fighting. It is a huge loss of potential revenue for both sides (though is perhaps helpful to the consumer looking for bargains).

On the interactivity side, if HD DVD wants any kind of lead they better get going – it is clear that the PiP and internet advantages that they have had to date are not going to last.

The War title in HMM today has ‘true PiP’ and a game feature listed and the interactivity on the Disney titles would appear to be quite compelling.

18. James Segars on November 9th, 2007 1:34 pm

I’m sure the HD DVD crowd has some tricks up their sleeve, hehe. :)